17th November 1979......New signing STAN CUMMINS..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luna17

Winger
..... scores on his debut at RP in a 3-1 win over Nottingham County to keep the promotion charge going.

Supa Pop Robson got the first and second goals with wee Stan getting the killer not long after half time.

Don Masson who was skipper of bonny Scotland, got County's consolation from the penalty spot.

Stan was signed from the Boro for 300k and turned out to be a very good signing until he left in the early 80s on a free after a supposed admin cock up.

..... scores on his debut at RP in a 3-1 win over Nottingham County to keep the promotion charge going.

Supa Pop Robson got the first and second goals with wee Stan getting the killer not long after half time.

Don Masson who was skipper of bonny Scotland, got County's consolation from the penalty spot.

Stan was signed from the Boro for 300k and turned out to be a very good signing until he left in the early 80s on a free after a supposed admin cock up.
Loved Stan, didn't he go over to the States to play in their league every summer? Imagine that happening now to what was probably close to our record signing at the time! Btw have they ever been called Nottingham County?

Scored one of my favourite goals for Sunderland. When he turned Phil Neal inside out, and hammered the ball home in a one nil win down at Anfield.
Sunderland stop up fuck off Cowie all the hand written signs said, stuck in the back bus windows as we passed them on the M62 on the way back.
And he scored a canny one at Sid James in the derby on New Years Day the season before. Not quite as good as his little tap in on the Easter Monday thou.

Scored one of my favourite goals for Sunderland. When he turned Phil Neal inside out, and hammered the ball home in a one nil win down at Anfield.
Sunderland stop up fuck off Cowie all the hand written signs said, stuck in the back bus windows as we passed them on the M62 on the way back.
And he scored a canny one at Sid James in the derby on New Years Day the season before. Not quite as good as his little tap in on the Easter Monday thou.

I will never forget Easter Saturday 1980.

Stan got the winner late on iirc, and as we got back to the car in the Cattle Market, someone shouted Bristol City's got beat(they were rivals with us for top 2) which caused a huge rosr and the cue for much singing and dancing. It was tremendous :lol:
Loved Stan, didn't he go over to the States to play in their league every summer? Imagine that happening now to what was probably close to our record signing at the time! Btw have they ever been called Nottingham County?
I don't think they have mate, I was trying to be posh :lol:

Last edited:

Big sigh. If there was one Sunderland goal that I wish I could see that I haven't its the one at Liverpool (and maybe Kieran Brady at Bradford). I don't think it was filmed :( I did see his goal at SJP he was wearing trainers cos the pitch was frozen.

I was there with my mates, and over 10,000 Sunland fans.
What a day and night we had, though one of my mates missed all the celebrations, because he ended up in the Kop, and got beaten to a pulp, when he asked, some Scousers, "have you got a light marra ?" :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
played against stan when he played for a ferryhill side he was playing centre half fat as fuck he still stroked the ball about the park gracefull as :)

I was a kid like but loved the way Stan played. His performance in that big game against West Ham stands out. I was in that kids bit under the clock stand. Basically like a wooden platform - probably a massive fire risk !!

He played for the Minnesota kicks & my neighbour said he lived in my neighbourhood along time ago...

I saw him play an amazing player

Last edited:
I will never forget Easter Saturday 1980.

Stan got the winner late on iirc, and as we got back to the car in the Cattle Market, someone shouted Bristol City's got beat(they were rivals with us for top 2) which caused a huge rosr and the cue for much singing and dancing. It was tremendous :lol:

I don't think they have mate, I was trying to be posh :lol:
They weren't. We weren't even in the same division :D

Stan had a clause in his contract that he could leave on a free if the club tried to force him to take a pay cut. Which they duly did, not realising the clause was there. Another Cowie masterstroke.

I... a was there for that one..... brought the house down... well, in our end! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back