13th June Stats

Figures reported on a Monday by Wales are for a 48h period. This is reflected in the UK total.

Hospital data for ST&S is updated weekly on a Thursday.

* Data not updated from previous day.

+/- compared to one week ago.

Figures in brackets for doses = daily total.

13 cases in Sunderland. -7
0 deaths in Sunderland. 0
0 patients admitted to hospital in South Tyneside & Sunderland. 0
4 patients in hospital in South Tyneside & Sunderland. +2
0 patients on ventilation in South Tyneside & Sunderland. 0

301 cases in the NE. +135
0 deaths in the NE. -1
23* patients admitted to hospital in the NE & Yorks. +10
101* patients in hospital in the NE & Yorks. +11
12* patients on ventilation in the NE & Yorks. -2

7,490 cases in the UK. +2,149
8 deaths in the UK. +4
187* patients admitted to hospital in the UK. +33
1,089* patients in hospital in the UK. +157
158* patients on ventilation in the UK. +24

945,090* tests conducted.

England 7 day test positivity rate as of 08/06/21 = 2.1% +0.8

Sunderland 7 day rolling average:
57.3 cases per 100,000 using backdated data. +20.2
59.8 cases per 100,000 using daily data. +22.0

74.8 cases per 100,000 for the UK using daily data. +24.7

180,289 (1,594) people have received 1st dose of vaccination in Sunderland. +6,366
133,128 (1,136) people have received 2nd dose of vaccination in Sunderland. +9,554

1,677,503 (8,003) people have received 1st dose of vaccination in the NE. +38,731
1,246,588 (12,065) people have received 2nd dose of vaccination in the NE. +87,102

41,551,201 (254,185) people have received 1st dose of vaccination in the UK. +1,217,970
29,792,658 (320,326) people have received 2nd dose of vaccination in the UK. +2,131,305

A fair few days of around 7,500 cases (albeit with a one-day jump to just above 8,000 at the end of last week). Seems like there's still growth, but it's stalled a little bit. Hopefully this isn't just a blip. I thought we'd be above 10,000 by this Friday for sure. If we can keep it below that number, I reckon we're doing better than expected.

I'd love to see what proportion of hospitalisations have been vaccinated
It really is time for the hospital, and ventilation numbers to show the vaccination status together with the age of the patients. Listening to the radio this morning it was reported that the Delta variant is more resistant to the vaccine and after a single dose provides 30% protection as against 50% protection against the original virus.

This extra 4 weeks will allow around 14-15m more to be protected.

A fair few days of around 7,500 cases (albeit with a one-day jump to just above 8,000 at the end of last week). Seems like there's still growth, but it's stalled a little bit. Hopefully this isn't just a blip. I thought we'd be above 10,000 by this Friday for sure. If we can keep it below that number, I reckon we're doing better than expected.

It does tend to be higher in the middle of the week then drops over weekend.

However the % increase on the 7 day average has slowed down a bit over last few days so hopefully close to the peak of the blip.

I’d imagine they already have that information.

It’s all recorded against your NHS number.

Wey get the fucker published then :cool:

At this point it's a hugely critical piece of data which would help prove the link between vaccine and serious illness / hospitalisation is being broken.

As much as it's sad to read about 8 deaths a day, that figure doesn't tell us anything at all without context. Publishing it daily would help increase trust in the vaccine and uptake.

I just don't quite grasp (maybe I'm a thickie?) how we're so saturated in numbers and the scientists are never off the radio bleating on about data, why this simple but critical piece of data isn't the #1 headline.

At this point it's a hugely critical piece of data which would help prove the link between vaccine and serious illness / hospitalisation is being broken.

As much as it's sad to read about 8 deaths a day, that figure doesn't tell us anything at all without context. Publishing it daily would help increase trust in the vaccine and uptake.

I just don't quite grasp (maybe I'm a thickie?) how we're so saturated in numbers and the scientists are never off the radio bleating on about data, why this simple but critical piece of data isn't the #1 headline.
All of the discussion has been around lifting restrictions and vaccination status isn't that important to that. If people are in hospital it doesn't matter whether they've been vaccinated or not, what matters is whether the numbers of people in hospital is growing and whether that growth is exponential.

Totally agree that publishing the numbers would increase confidence in the vaccine though.

All of the discussion has been around lifting restrictions and vaccination status isn't that important to that. If people are in hospital it doesn't matter whether they've been vaccinated or not, what matters is whether the numbers of people in hospital is growing and whether that growth is exponential.

Totally agree that publishing the numbers would increase confidence in the vaccine though.
It doesn't though.
If the numbers of fully vaccinated people in hospital is small then there is no reason not to open up . ... else we'll be stuck in this never ending loop forever

It's almost as if they don't want the restrictions to end until there's zero-COVID...

Considering the fantastic uptake of vaccines and folk who have had past or current infection, I'm finding it hard to see the logic in extending the delay in opening up ..

There comes a time when mental health and well being will detrimentally affect more people than the virus and the restrictions we are told to adhere to. Its like a game of snakes and ladders and you continually land on the snake and never get to the top.

I sort of see what you're saying but we're stuck where we are if the suggestion is - wait until everyone is vaccinated before we can get back to normality. It's not possible. Not only are there people who can't have the vax (preggos for example), there's others (mouth breathers) who won't have it for wild reasons like religion, Bill Gates is after wor data etc. It's here to stay so we need to see who is being hospitalised and what their vax status is so we can determine what life is going to have to look like (what numbers can we live with in terms of deaths and hospitalisations) in the future.

It doesn't though.
If the numbers of fully vaccinated people in hospital is small then there is no reason not to open up . ... else we'll be stuck in this never ending loop forever

It shouldn't be a never-ending loop as there are still tens of millions of people who haven't had the opportunity to be fully vaccinated yet. The problem right now is that the hospitalisation numbers have only been rising for a short period so it's really hard to make a firm conclusion based on them.

It's all very well saying it doesn't matter if non-vaccinated people are being hospitalised but those people still take up beds and ventilators that might be needed by a fully vaccinated person suffering from a different condition.

It shouldn't be a never-ending loop as there are still tens of millions of people who haven't had the opportunity to be fully vaccinated yet. The problem right now is that the hospitalisation numbers have only been rising for a short period so it's really hard to make a firm conclusion based on them.

It's all very well saying it doesn't matter if non-vaccinated people are being hospitalised but those people still take up beds and ventilators that might be needed by a fully vaccinated person suffering from a different condition.
OK, I should have clarified my point with "Once we have all been given the choice of being vaccinated then ...."

So, by September (??), and providing the vaccines "work", then we are good to go ... No chance of NHS being overwhelmed with vaccinated people

I sort of see what you're saying but we're stuck where we are if the suggestion is - wait until everyone is vaccinated before we can get back to normality. It's not possible. Not only are there people who can't have the vax (preggos for example), there's others (mouth breathers) who won't have it for wild reasons like religion, Bill Gates is after wor data etc. It's here to stay so we need to see who is being hospitalised and what their vax status is so we can determine what life is going to have to look like (what numbers can we live with in terms of deaths and hospitalisations) in the future.

I don't think the suggestion is we need to wait until everyone has been vaccinated. We need to be sure that enough people in the population are vaccinated to avoid unmanageable increases in hospitalisations. These daily stats on numbers of people in hospital are the real-time data on whether we've reached that point. I think part of the issue is we don't quite have enough data points since hospital numbers have started rising to make a clear call either way - is this natural variance around a new manageable baseline or the early stages of the exponential growth we've seen when we have previously relaxed restrictions?
OK, I should have clarified my point with "Once we have all been given the choice of being vaccinated then ...."

So, by September (??), and providing the vaccines "work", then we are good to go ... No chance of NHS being overwhelmed with vaccinated people
Absoultely and we should actually reach the critical level of vaccination before the point everyone has been offered it, if we haven't already.

Last edited:
I don't think the suggestion is we need to wait until everyone has been vaccinated. We need to be sure that enough people in the population are vaccinated to avoid unmanageable increases in hospitalisations. These daily stats on numbers of people in hospital are the real-time data on whether we've reached that point. I think part of the issue is we don't quite have enough data points since hospital numbers have started rising to make a clear call either way - is this natural variance around a new manageable baseline or the early stages of the exponential growth we've seen when we have previously relaxed restrictions?

Absoultely and we should actually reach the critical level of vaccination before the point everyone has been offered it, if we haven't already.
The talk is that with the delta variant we need to get to 85% of the population fully vaccinated, then we are at the point at which we can live with the virus.

Back