132 new homes approved for Vaux and Riverside Sunderland Area

@Paul3845 it doesnt make sense that Wates have walked away from levelling the full site already in preperation to rebuild? they only took over 7 months ago..surely this was all ironed out before setting foot on site

@Paul3845 it doesnt make sense that Wates have walked away from levelling the full site already in preperation to rebuild? they only took over 7 months ago..surely this was all ironed out before setting foot on site

Sounds like Wates offer / tender price to build the units wasn’t agreed / acceptable, rather than Wates walking away.

strange though as they'd been on site since sept. and levelled the whole site. All the media when they took over was to complete tolents project

The works will likely have been done via a pre-construction services agreement, whilst Wates assessed the works on site and developed their tender offer.

Found the below link on line and seems fairly common approach now on large construction projects, as contractor seek to reduce risk in bidding.

The works will likely have been done via a pre-construction services agreement, whilst Wates assessed the works on site and developed their tender offer.

Found the below link on line and seems fairly common approach now on large construction projects, as contractor seek to reduce risk in bidding.

Should have just went cost plus

thats some site...im trying to negotiate it but I cant get any results up - are you a member? do you need to be one to get results?

Last edited:

Guess it just depends on what the sub-contractor tender packages are and what the complexity of the build is from a risk and buildability perspective. As others have said the challenges of taking on such a project must be difficult, just got to look at what’s happening at Milburngate development in Durham. Also what the market conditions are for housing in Sunderland city centre must be a huge factor, as they are effectively creating a new market as there is so little market data to rely upon.

thats some site...im trying to negotiate it but I cant get any results up - are you a member? do you need to be one to get results?

No I’m not a member just came up in a search I just did ‘construction vaux housing tender wates’ via google. Came up with a few sites including:

Last edited:
Guess it just depends on what the sub-contractor tender packages are and what the complexity of the build is from a risk and buildability perspective. As others have said the challenges of taking on such a project must be difficult, just got to look at what’s happening at Milburngate development in Durham. Also what the market conditions are for housing in Sunderland city centre must be a huge factor, as they are effectively creating a new market as there is so little market data to rely upon.

No I’m not a member just came up in a search I just did ‘construction vaux housing tender wates’ via google. Came up with a few sites including:

so it looks like a £500k contract was signed which would have covered what they have done to date.....no word of £26mill which was reported in the press

so it looks like a £500k contract was signed which would have covered what they have done to date.....no word of £26mill which was reported in the press

Suspect that must have been the pre-tender estimate? Or an estimate to complete the works based on the original Tolent tender price?

The PCSA will have covered Wates staff and supply chains time and cost to develop the tender price, as well as presumably any enabling works?

Suspect that must have been the pre-tender estimate? Or an estimate to complete the works based on the original Tolent tender price?

The PCSA will have covered Wates staff and supply chains time and cost to develop the tender price, as well as presumably any enabling works?
Yes - it seems all you noted there has been completed, site services / pre-construction works / enabling with pre-lims costed in. The site is now levelled and ready for new build, so theyve eithjer came off site until a price can be agreed or couldnt agree and have left completely.

Yes - it seems all you noted there has been completed, site services / pre-construction works / enabling with pre-lims costed in. The site is now levelled and ready for new build, so theyve eithjer came off site until a price can be agreed or couldnt agree and have left completely.

I think you are right sadly but seems to be the way of the construction market at the moment. Construction material and labour prices still increasing, high borrowing costs, stagnant market increases and added risk from changes in legislation such as fire regulations, biodiversity net gain etc… all making projects less viable.

I think you are right sadly but seems to be the way of the construction market at the moment. Construction material and labour prices still increasing, high borrowing costs, stagnant market increases and added risk from changes in legislation such as fire regulations, biodiversity net gain etc… all making projects less viable.
Why would anyone take it up then? If a billion pound company is flinching at the costs, it doesn't look good for the site

Aye. I’m jumping about from ex Civic Centre stuff to ex Sheepfolds to ex Vauxs site to sunniside. Is the Nile St-Villiers St site the same on as Sunniside? It’s bloody confusing. You’d almost think the council don’t want me moving back!
you any good at laying bricks? Might be able to build your own at this rate

Why would anyone take it up then? If a billion pound company is flinching at the costs, it doesn't look good for the site

Wates aren’t the developer for the site they are just the contractor, therefore their turnover means nothing as it’s not their own money they are using ie they won’t be selling or renting the houses.

The employer/developer for the project as far as I can tell is Sunderland city council therefore id assume the offer that Wates have made to complete the building works isn’t affordable to the council or they are still negotiating the build price and works on site have been paused whilst the negotiations around tender prices are agreed.

The construction market is all over the place at the moment with tender prices fluctuating a lot and finance cost being so high, so not unsurprising that this has happened as it’s similar across the country.

Back