132 new homes approved for Vaux and Riverside Sunderland Area

My first house was a Wates house.
Awful build quality, The walls were as thin as bog roll.
Still smile now the first shower (didn’t have a dog then) I pulled the shower head towards me and was holding it freely with plasterboard, raw plugs and screws in hand.🤣

Or was it Waites - long time ago.

Last edited:

Just had a reply back from the Wates director I asked on linkedin about the housing and whats happening with them...see response -

'Thanks for your note. Sadly we are no longer involved with Vaux. Client has significant budget issues & the current scheme isn’t viable in its current form. They are considering self delivery we believe.'

I used to work for Wates and asked someone this morning who said practically the same

'Wates and the council were miles off in terms of costs'

Knowing how Tolent operated, you can guarantee the council got the deal of the century off them which is going to bugger anybody else coming in coming forward.

Council also had some funding pulled

Just had a reply back from the Wates director I asked on linkedin about the housing and whats happening with them...see response -

'Thanks for your note. Sadly we are no longer involved with Vaux. Client has significant budget issues & the current scheme isn’t viable in its current form. They are considering self delivery we believe.'
That's very bad news. Could be wasteland for years(again).

I am not a huge fan of some of the councils decisions but global economics regularly hamstrings plans to develop the city! Just don't seem to have much luck
Seems to have a curse on the land! Tolent went bust, then they had the stand alone steelwork company in that completed the 2 apartment block structures, then Wates turn up for 3 months and pull out...whats next? If you see from the reply I got he believes they are going to project manage it themselves now

Seems to have a curse on the land! Tolent went bust, then they had the stand alone steelwork company in that completed the 2 apartment block structures, then Wates turn up for 3 months and pull out...whats next? If you see from the reply I got he believes they are going to project manage it themselves now
Carillion as well before them.

just been for a walk over the town, usually do it once a month or on a matchday and this site is letting the side down now....we can design and build a new state of the art eye hospital for the right price - theres foundations in now with the 2 high level cranes ready to start building. The support structures are starting to rise for the bridge and there busy on it today, really can start seeing in emerge from the banks of the wear now..The Culture house is flying up and will start to dominate that area soon..the Maker and Faber are in their last throws, expecting the scaffold to come down anytime,...but we cant seem to get it right to build the houses needed to get the people living there. 3/4 construction companies been and gone (granted tolent went under) but this seems to be the easiest build of any in the town centre but really nothing has happened for going on a for over year now! Must be 1.5+ years behind schedule at least

just been for a walk over the town, usually do it once a month or on a matchday and this site is letting the side down now....we can design and build a new state of the art eye hospital for the right price - theres foundations in now with the 2 high level cranes ready to start building. The support structures are starting to rise for the bridge and there busy on it today, really can start seeing in emerge from the banks of the wear now..The Culture house is flying up and will start to dominate that area soon..the Maker and Faber are in their last throws, expecting the scaffold to come down anytime,...but we cant seem to get it right to build the houses needed to get the people living there. 3/4 construction companies been and gone (granted tolent went under) but this seems to be the easiest build of any in the town centre but really nothing has happened for going on a for over year now! Must be 1.5+ years behind schedule at least
It's frustrating as the developments and bars, restaurants etc need people living nearby to give it all a chance. We need to increase the population living in the city and its stalling

Yet the housing on the old civic centre site is flying up.

Back