100 Greatest Britons

Turner the Cat

Central Defender
Anyone remember this BBC Programme from the turn of the millenium?

I think its aged a bit already. David Beckham 33 and Robbie Williams 77 :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Why Diana made the top 100 let alone top 3 is beyond me but I'm sure many disagree.

I think Tim Berners Lee would probably be much higher now given how the internet has probably become the most pervading invention of our time.

What would you change and who would you remove or include?

I'd have Cromwell, Churchill, both Queen Elizabeths, Shakespeare, Turing, Bevan... off the top of my head. Wasn't it the Unknown Soldier who came in first?? I think that was beautiful and the correct choice.

Your ancestors are Irish and you'd have Cromwell! I'm surprised.
I loathe Cromwell and Churchill but if you are judging the most important Britons you can not discount their contributions.

Thanks to Cromwell the Crown serves at the pleasure of an elected Government.

Churchill a vile racist drunk responsible for Gallipoli and worse but rose to the occasion in WWII.

I loathe Cromwell and Churchill but if you are judging the most important Britons you can not discount their contributions.

Thanks to Cromwell the Crown serves at the pleasure of an elected Government.

Churchill a vile racist drunk responsible for Gallipoli and worse but rose to the occasion in WWII.
That's a bit like having Typhoid Mary as one of the most influential Americans.

(I'm 7 cans into a pack of 8 so ignore anything I say)

I think it would be interesting to see how a poll like this would change vs about 25 years ago. In the past opinions would be influenced by what people were fed via news, newspapers and to some extent books. Opinions on public figures (good and bad) is all over the web and social media now.

Back