10 grand each

About eight years ago over here the government gave everyone some cash. Pretty sure it was $1000 each. Told to spend it to help stimulate the economy.

Of course it would. It increases purchasing power. Which increases consumption. Which leads to inflation in the absence of productivity

What would be the point of giving it and then taxing it?
It couldn't be brought in and have the tax system the same because it would just cause inflation.

there are many many benefits for bringing it in.

benefit trap disappears. You get £10k and if you want more you work for it. If you work you get taxed at a set rate. It will be higher than current 20%.

housing benefit would disappear and the housing market would adapt and it wouldn't be inflated by billions in housing benefit. prices may go down.

labour market can be much more flexible. You want to work one hour a week, then go for it.

Massive drop in bureaucracy.

Loads of benefits to it.

UBI worst thing I’ve ever heard. All that will happen is all the scratters will piss the money up the wall and come back begging for more. Then you’ll have the guardian and Corbyn saying they should have been “safeguarded” and all the rest. Same as when scratters win the lottery.

It couldn't be brought in and have the tax system the same because it would just cause inflation.

benefit trap disappears. You get £10k and if you want more you work for it. If you work you get taxed at a set rate. It will be higher than current 20%.

housing benefit would disappear and the housing market would adapt and it wouldn't be inflated by billions in housing benefit. prices may go down.

labour market can be much more flexible. You want to work one hour a week, then go for it.

Loads of benefits to it.
I’m not saying there aren’t upsides

I’m saying that if it’s distrubted in such a blunt way it will be inflationary

Loads of benefits to it.

Selling this here, do you have some information I can read on this?

Selling this here, do you have some information I can read on this?

not really, I did the concept many years ago on a course. I think google would be ypur friend here.

Always seemed the sensible way to go. Whole benefits culture would be wiped out.

I said in a blunt manner

You said it would cause inflation, I said not necessarily so. If they gave everyone an extra £10k a year and did nothing else, I agree. That wouldn't happen.

I used to be against the idea but recently I've been coming around to the idea.

Anything that simplifies the welfare state and tax is a plus to me. Income tax would have to be higher to recoup the money from people that don't actually need it though

I said when the last financial crash happened that instead of giving the banks money to bail them out each tax paying person should get 5-10k.
Some people would bank it, some would spend it on things that would benefit local businesses like kitchen or window firms or would put it towards a new car.
Some would use it to start up small businesses.
You would have to have paid in to the system a certain criteria to qualify for it.

I also said that I should be PM, King of England and every job should be covered 24x7 creating more jobs and having the worlds first 24 hour everything operational country.

In two payments though? Makes no sense, not everyone is careful and clever with money, what happens when they blow the £5k early and have to wait 6 months for the next payment?

Back