🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 England v Australia 🇦🇺 2nd Ashes Test - Lords - 28th June

Wood isn't fit, and he is a different bowler to Potts.

I get that, but Tongue has virtually no international experience and is facing the best batting line up in the world.

But what do I know - that’s why I’m drinking coffee in sunny Gateshead and not picking the test team 😁

Tongue did ok v Ireland, but if we are going all seam, picking him ahead of Wood or Potts? Seriously?

This is Australia, not Ireland.
I'm happy with him being picked ahead of Pottsy. We have enough top notch quality and control from the other 3. Tongue will bowl shorter, quicker spells and used to bowl short stuff if they deem necessary. Its a good choice.

I get that, but Tongue has virtually no international experience and is facing the best batting line up in the world.

But what do I know - that’s why I’m drinking coffee in sunny Gateshead and not picking the test team 😁

I get that but there is no point having 4 similar styled bowlers is there? 3 is enough if they are bowling the same.
Another test again showing how much of a miss Jack Leach is like

I think Tongue is a good selection. If Wood isn’t fit he’s our next quickest and his pace never really dropped against Ireland, I don’t like playing without a frontline spinner mind

Wood isn't fit, and he is a different bowler to Potts.
Which is bizarre given he was being rested following a minor injury/personal circumstances since the IPL.

BBC article saying 'England feel Wood needs another week to be fully fit' suggests they started his bowling workload too late and have wasted 2 tests we could have used him in.

Is Headingley even going to suit Wood, again on Cricinfo/Wisden podcast (i forget which) they said the two best pitches for Wood are the last two which are back to back tests as well.

Dare i say it....but pressure on Anderson to perform here.
Is that Woakes' test career over then, 34 years old
Source Cricinfo - At his pre-match press conference, Ben Stokes said that England had wanted to select Wood but were hopeful he would be ready to play at Headingley in the second of back-to-back Tests

Last edited:
Which is bizarre given he was being rested following a minor injury/personal circumstances since the IPL.

BBC article saying 'England feel Wood needs another week to be fully fit' suggests they started his bowling workload too late and have wasted 2 tests we could have used him in.

Is Headingley even going to suit Wood, again on Cricinfo/Wisden podcast (i forget which) they said the two best pitches for Wood are the last two which are back to back tests as well.

Dare i say it....but pressure on Anderson to perform here.
Is that Woakes' test career over then, 34 years old
Source Cricinfo - At his pre-match press conference, Ben Stokes said that England had wanted to select Wood but were hopeful he would be ready to play at Headingley in the second of back-to-back Tests

I am not sure thats right on Wood, journos hinting it is still his elbow, rather than workload

Woakes could have a future if Jimmy and Broad retire soon, which is possible.

I thought Woakes was poor in 2019 ashes and he cant bowl overseas.

I really don’t get the selection at all.

Tongue over Wood?
Bringing Ahmed into the squad and then not playing a spinner?*
Leaving Potts completely out of the reckoning.

Now clearly I’m biased with the Durham lads, but the England selections lately have made so little sense. I don’t mind Tongue, but he’s not nearly as quick as Wood nor is he as established as Potts.

Atleast we’ll get Potts back at Durham. What chance we get to see Wood back too?!

*I know, Joe Root, but still.

Tongue over Wood?

Now clearly I’m biased with the Durham lads, but the England selections lately have made so little sense. I don’t mind Tongue, but he’s not nearly as quick as Wood nor is he as established as Potts.

Atleast we’ll get Potts back at Durham. What chance we get to see Wood back too?!

Someone said Wood was injured and if true and if the pitch favours seamers it is the best attack we can put out imo. Tongue has an extra yard of pace that our other seamers don't have. Ahmed was brought in to cover all bases if it looked like a similar pitch to last time.

Tongue over Wood?

Don’t think woody is fully fit and Potts is similar pace to the other 3 bowlers at least Tongue offers something a bit different.

I’d have played Woakes mind, his record at lords is ridiculous

Back