“Planning since the last window closed”

I get the idea, but can it and should it be that rigid? There's been a fair few posts saying we look good playing 433, same as we did look good playing 352 against Leeds.

If the owner and DOF are insisting it's 4321, then we are always going to have round pegs in square holes if we fancy a change in tactics
I've used a poor example to be fair. I don't think it's completely fixed to one formation more to the style of play.

I've used a poor example to be fair. I don't think it's completely fixed to one formation more to the style of play.
That's what I assumed, the style is attacking front foot football, mid to high press (for arguments sake)

That's the style we are after, then the coaches pick the best formations and tactics to achieve that. So have to have a bit of an input into receuitment?

Or is KS that powerful that he influences formations and has sole charge of recruitment?

That's what I assumed, the style is attacking front foot football, mid to high press (for arguments sake)

That's the style we are after, then the coaches pick the best formations and tactics to achieve that. So have to have a bit of an input into receuitment?

Or is KS that powerful that he influences formations and has sole charge of recruitment?
I think they do have influence but the club won't sign players on purely the head coach wanting them, other than Dack.

I think they do have influence but the club won't sign players on purely the head coach wanting them, other than Dack.
Dack was brought in as everyone thought Pritchard was away, he was cheap and available, yes TM may have suggested him, but KS has the last say and if he didn't want him we wouldn't have got him

Fantastic post.
The world of football now is proof of how propaganda works.
Since Sky Sports News started it just became more and more about pushing a propaganda to drive up the revenue for the Premier League and Sky itself (on behalf of its owners then and its owners now - Comcast).
As a result, large numbers of supporters now work themselves into a frenzy during the transfer window obsessing over how much money their club is supposed to have spent. Basically, the more money you spent on transfers the better is what most think. But its all just about viewers (subscribers) and advertising.

In the 35 years of being a supporter the best forwards have generally been the ones we haven't spent big money on...

Kevin Phillips (£350k), Marco Gabbiadini (£80k), Niall Quinn (£1.3m), Jermaine Defoe (£3.5m) and then I'd say Darren Bent (£10m) was an exception.

The players we've spent good wedge on generally proved to be a disappointment
Steven Fletcher (£12m), Tore Andre Flo (£7m), Asamoah Gyan (£12m), Jeremain Lens (£9m), Jozy Altidore (£7m), Connor Wickham (£6m), Michael Chopra (£5m)

(Probably a little harsh to put Fletcher in with the rest. Gyan was clearly talented as was Lens, but being at Sunderland was a chore for them).
Gyan did well

The article I read did not mention numbers but if you read between the lines not enough
So you don’t know how much was offered
Fantastic post.
The world of football now is proof of how propaganda works.
Since Sky Sports News started it just became more and more about pushing a propaganda to drive up the revenue for the Premier League and Sky itself (on behalf of its owners then and its owners now - Comcast).
As a result, large numbers of supporters now work themselves into a frenzy during the transfer window obsessing over how much money their club is supposed to have spent. Basically, the more money you spent on transfers the better is what most think. But its all just about viewers (subscribers) and advertising.

In the 35 years of being a supporter the best forwards have generally been the ones we haven't spent big money on...

Kevin Phillips (£350k), Marco Gabbiadini (£80k), Niall Quinn (£1.3m), Jermaine Defoe (£3.5m) and then I'd say Darren Bent (£10m) was an exception.

The players we've spent good wedge on generally proved to be a disappointment
Steven Fletcher (£12m), Tore Andre Flo (£7m), Asamoah Gyan (£12m), Jeremain Lens (£9m), Jozy Altidore (£7m), Connor Wickham (£6m), Michael Chopra (£5m)

(Probably a little harsh to put Fletcher in with the rest. Gyan was clearly talented as was Lens, but being at Sunderland was a chore for them).
Bang on. Sky Sports Propaganda. People on here watch SSN and get sucked in

Last edited:

In answer to your last sentence…..Yes.

That makes no sense, because the value of strikers is always more inflated and accelerates quicker.

I think on the striker, the reality is that it’s hard to find value.

Look at the likes of Simms, Cannon, even our very own Ross Stewart - the big money moves generally haven’t come off. Piroe for Leeds is the exception.

My concern is that we genuinely at a deep tactical level - I.e Speakman and Dodds - think we can play without one. That the lack of a striker isn’t just because we can’t find one, but because we don’t want one.

Though speaking frankly, I’ll be raging a lot more if we don’t sign a DM. That really is a joke imo.

He’s not a CB.
Yes he is
We haven’t had an adequate steiker since Stewart and Simms.

We haven’t had an adequate defensive central midfielder since Evans got injured.

Neither of those were addressed in January 23 or Summer 23 window. As yet they haven’t been addressed this window.

If Ballard was to leave we have Seelt and Triantis. If Ballard then goes we buy some one to cover for those two. We have two left backs, who just so happen to be injured. Fair enough loan some one, but don’t spend dosh on a position where we will have three players capable of playing there when fit. Strengthen the position where we are weakest.
Having no left foot down the left hand side whatsoever is a weakness

Last edited:
Yet we extended Cirkins deal less than six months ago.

Just find the idea of signing another defender as mental when we’re crying out for strength in other areas and money is tight.
You can be doing more than one deal at a time you know you dont have to do it one by one

Back