“Planning since the last window closed”

We've signed the Leeds fullback like (according to Fabrizio Romano) - not a position that I'd prioritise, but for £2m it means we're willing to spend money on quality that we want, rather than just dish it out randomly and get the piss taken out of us, or not spend it at all.

It'll work in the SAFC board's favour when people complain we didn't sign a striker due to a reluctance to spend money.

Personally I'm still hopeful we'll get a midfielder in over a striker.

We've signed the Leeds fullback like (according to Fabrizio Romano) - not a position that I'd prioritise, but for £2m it means we're willing to spend money on quality that we want, rather than just dish it out randomly and get the piss taken out of us, or not spend it at all.

It'll work in the SAFC board's favour when people complain we didn't sign a striker due to a reluctance to spend money.

Personally I'm still hopeful we'll get a midfielder in over a striker.

The data has obviously shown that they’ll be able to flip him for a profit easier than they’ll be able to flip a striker.

It’s all about the bottom line.

Can we not put to bed this line that Speakman trots out every time a window closes?

Almost 5 months of “planning” has led to precisely nout. Like a government department.

Nope, it's a ridiculous sentiment.
The data has obviously shown that they’ll be able to flip him for a profit easier than they’ll be able to flip a striker.

Money has no place in football!!!!!!

Yeah we will sign the kid from Leeds and scramble around for a few last minute loans, hardly high performance like

Mind I also take into account the budget they will be working with. I’d imagine the pool of players that will improve our squad who cost next to nowt is tiny. (We are not paying 2 mill upfront for the Leeds kid before anyone starts)

Dunno about anyone else, but I didn't expect us to do much business before the end of the window. I fully expected it all to be done in the last few days. January always drives a hard bargain and there's less players out there to grab halfway through a season.
Yeah. It's not the window where long term succession planning should really be taking place. The squad building is generally done in the summer.

January is more about making tweaks and bringing in cover for injured players or adding that extra bit of quality that will give a much needed boost.

You're such an angry and cynical fellow these days.

It's blatantly obvious we have no pot in which to piss, and we can't simply pick and choose our targets at will.
I think the lack of movement is more fact that the transfer window is all bluff, bluster and posturing until that last 48 hours. Clubs / players / agents keeping their cards close to their chests. Needing a few big move to start a chain reaction but everyone holding out to the last minute to maximise value.

They may as well make the January transfer window 2 days long.
Yep.

Domino effect in January. Waiting for clubs to make their minds up and other clubs do their business and then it has a knock on effect and all comes together on deadline day.

Working hard 'Behind the scenes'

I think we might be pleasantly surprised.
Right now I'd settle for 'surprised'...

To be fair, There's been very few transfers so far in the Championship that I am really annoyed we didn't go for ourselves.

The one that stands out is probably Carvalho to Hull, but we don't know our budget, the motives of the player himself, contracts etc.

Nowt we can do as fans, Just have to try and trust the recruitment team, I don't think they are sitting doing nowt.

Dunno about anyone else, but I didn't expect us to do much business before the end of the window. I fully expected it all to be done in the last few days. January always drives a hard bargain and there's less players out there to grab halfway through a season.
We are into the last few days now. Doesn't it close on Friday?

Well, aye. How else do you invest to reinvest? Not sure what that's got to do with Speakman, though?

We've known since KLD came in that this is what we were going to do; it was going to be a slow build that's main focus is self-sustainability. That involves selling to reinvest. How is this suddenly a surprise? I can't remember complaints about this before from you, did you just not realise this part of what we're doing?

Speakman's been fairly open and clear that there's a five year plan (not 2 years) to return to the Premier League. We're surely more than on track with this?

As long as we're reinvesting, I don't really see the issue. If your issue is that 'only' reinvesting is lacking ambition, then perhaps that's more of a KLD issue than Speakman's? Speakman doesn't finance the club.

I'm as frustrated as anyone with the areas we're short in, but were people really expecting us to go out and sign half a dozen players or so? We have over 30 players in our squad already. I still think where 'the model' is failing slightly is they were expecting to shift a few out over the last couple of windows.

Back