“Elderly”

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 14766

What does the word “elderly” constitute for you?

Is someone “elderly” in their (50s,) 60s, 70s...?

Has it changed over time?

Has it changed as you’ve grown older?

Does the description “old” mean something different, to you, than “elderly”?

Also: What is “middle aged”? When does being ‘young’ end and middle-age begin? Is there something between (adult?). When do you cease being middle aged and become old?

I don’t want the ‘official’ googlesque answer, just what the terms mean to you. I’m interested in the extent to which perspectives differ.

Asking for a friend.

Last edited by a moderator:

A bloke about mid 50s once said I couldnt put a skip near his house as he was elderly. Why the feck would you say that, seemed bizzare.

People who have accepted life is over for them and pretty much look back at anything good and look forward and only see death.

My folks are in their 70s. Very active. Do a few 20 odd mile walks a week. Make and design things and do classes and stuff. They still retain a lot of their youth.

when my grandparents where their age they smoked and watched the telly. They seemed very old because they did nothing. They died in their 70s.

its not about age. It’s about mindset and if you can be bothered to go on. Use your body or lose it.

Last edited:
A bloke about mid 50s once said I couldnt put a skip near his house as he was elderly. Why the feck would you say that, seemed bizzare.

Are you sure that he didn’t say that he was no longer able to skip past his house as he was elderly?

Are you sure that he didn’t say that he was no longer able to skip past his house as he was elderly?
;)
I had a yard full of shit on a house I was working on. He said an ambulance or fire engine couldnt reach him, I said fine ill just leave the shit there. I was a pain, as was he.
Ive parents in their 70s out more than me, they wont admit to being elderly now nevermind 20 year back.

;)
I had a yard full of shit on a house I was working on. He said an ambulance or fire engine couldnt reach him, I said fine ill just leave the shit there. I was a pain, as was he.
Ive parents in their 70s out more than me, they wont admit to being elderly now nevermind 20 year back.
I know a gadgie who’s still bucking a couple of times a week and he’s in his early 70’s.
He told me once that when you get to a certain age say late 60’s and you shoot your muck you sneeze like fuck afterwards.
I thought he was winding me up but I seen an article in a newspaper about it and apparently it’s true.

without sounding personal has your dad mentioned anything?

I know a gadgie who’s still bucking a couple of times a week and he’s in his early 70’s.
He told me once that when you get to a certain age say late 60’s and you shoot your muck you sneeze like fuck afterwards.
I thought he was winding me up but I seen an article in a newspaper about it and apparently it’s true.

without sounding personal has your dad mentioned anything?

FFS Gilly I just thought it was bad havfever I heard while doing their lawns!:mad:

So thats what causes it. Live and learn.

I used to tell workmates that the old man on the other side of the factory would help them with problems. After a few years there i found out "the old man" was 6 years younger than me. 😄

What does the word “elderly” constitute for you?

Is someone “elderly” in their (50s,) 60s, 70s...?

Has it changed over time?

Has it changed as you’ve grown older?

Does the description “old” mean something different, to you, than “elderly”?

Also: What is “middle aged”? When does being ‘young’ end and middle-age begin? Is there something between (adult?). When do you cease being middle aged and become old?

I don’t want the ‘official’ googlesque answer, just what the terms mean to you. I’m interested in the extent to which perspectives differ.

Asking for a friend.
7 questions - good grief I’m still pissed. See ya later.

I used to tell workmates that the old man on the other side of the factory would help them with problems. After a few years there i found out "the old man" was 6 years younger than me. 😄

I was interviewing for a job in my team and after selecting a suitable candidate, and before the offer had gone out, the department head spoke with me and expressed his concerns that the candidate might a little too old. After educating my boss on the Equalities Act and my unwillingness to conspire with him on a clear act of unlawful discrimination, I finished by telling him that the prospective new team member was 5 years younger than me.

Elderly to me implies frail. That's more the distinction for me that hitting a certain number.

Middle aged I'd agree with 45-50.

This.
I think lifestyle and activity level is important to how others see you. Theres an old couple along the street from me who've been active and able, and walking back and forward to their church for decades. I've watched them get old and now they look in pain as they hobble back and forward. They are maybe 10 -12 years older than me, so i see them as oldies and me, not. I reckon they could be early eighties.

"The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away."

Middle age therefore should be 35 to 40, or whatever time fat baldy blokes stand around looking in motorbike shop windows

I think now it a frame of mind, when I was younger in my early 20s the bloke I was working was in his 40s, and he was the old man. Now I am in my early 60s I don't feel old probably more active now , when I was younger it seemed that people retired then just hung around to die, I now meet people when travelling in their 70s / 80s having a great time.

I am far and away the fittest and strongest of my wide circle of friends *one exception, my mates son is an infantry Sergeant* and I consider myself late middle aged but not old. I will be 54 in September. In my mind, old starts at 65, elderly at 85.

People who have accepted life is over for them and pretty much look back at anything good and look forward and only see death.

My folks are in their 70s. Very active. Do a few 20 odd mile walks a week. Make and design things and do classes and stuff. They still retain a lot of their youth.

when my grandparents where their age they smoked and watched the telly. They seemed very old because they did nothing. They died in their 70s.

its not about age. It’s about mindset and if you can be bothered to go on. Use your body or lose it.

I was like that from my late teens

Yeah, whilst it does literally relate to a person's age I think it has to be context dependent.

Far more elderly 65 year olds in the North East than the South, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back