“Elderly”

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date
I'm going to be 70 at the end of the summer an I certainly don't feel 'elderly'. I've got my own hair, teeth and Blues Band; me and herself have a great social life, gigs, cinema and theatre, restaurants, book-club, travelling, eating and drinking with a wide variety of friends (when not locked down) and a sex life that still keeps us happy.
You're as old as you act. Retirement and sensible pension planning has brought me the life I would have loved when I was younger. (Smug twat, I know!:cool:)

I think there’s still plenty of fit people in their 60’s and 70’s now so I wouldn’t really class them as elderly at that age.
In my mind I depict elderly as really old and frail so I’d say 80’s/90’s

I don’t think it’s a physical thing, so much as a mental state. Some people lose interest in new things as they get older and so become more and more out of touch. That doesn’t mean they have to like the new things, for example I think a lot of current music is crap, but at least I am aware of it.

My parents didn’t seem to get old even into their seventies and despite increasing ill health, they would come in from their social club giggling like teenagers,

Middle age is 40-59
60+ is old.
So as soon as you hit the magic 60 you're old? My sisters are both in their 60s and I would say no one would look at either of them and say 'old'. The point is surely it's your outlook on life. Aye when I was younger I thought 50 was ancient, but times and attitudes have changed. Hopefully.

So as soon as you hit the magic 60 you're old? My sisters are both in their 60s and I would say no one would look at either of them and say 'old'. The point is surely it's your outlook on life. Aye when I was younger I thought 50 was ancient, but times and attitudes have changed. Hopefully.
Average UK life expectancy is 81,its lower up here so yeah 60 is old.

People who have accepted life is over for them and pretty much look back at anything good and look forward and only see death.

My folks are in their 70s. Very active. Do a few 20 odd mile walks a week. Make and design things and do classes and stuff. They still retain a lot of their youth.

when my grandparents where their age they smoked and watched the telly. They seemed very old because they did nothing. They died in their 70s.

its not about age. It’s about mindset and if you can be bothered to go on. Use your body or lose it.

They still have each other though.

If 70s is elderly and middle aged is 45+, is 63 (say) ‘late middle aged), not yet ‘old’
I'm 62 this month . Not old , getting on, not as young as I used to be . Elderly is more about impact , if you're in need of support or concession you're elderly.
Middle aged varies from 40 up . I wasn't middle aged until 50 .

Yeah, whilst it does literally relate to a person's age I think it has to be context dependent.

Far more elderly 65 year olds in the North East than the South, for example.
I agree with this. You only have to speak to some of the people in Horden, Blackhall places like that. Some of the 40 year olds talk like they’re pensioners. Put limits on their lives. I am still full of ambition in my 40s.
I'm 62 this month . Not old , getting on, not as young as I used to be . Elderly is more about impact , if you're in need of support or concession you're elderly.
Middle aged varies from 40 up . I wasn't middle aged until 50 .
You didn’t get to judge if you’re old or not. You’ll never believe you’re old.

Last edited:
My ma and my mother in law are both 81. My ma has done nowt but watch daytime tv for donkeys years and looks like a frail little old woman and is... well.. very confused with advanced dementia. My mother in law is active in the community and has loads of hobbies and interests and looks late 60's if not younger. Keep yourself active and increase your chances of being alright. In my opinion.

I'm going to be 70 at the end of the summer an I certainly don't feel 'elderly'. I've got my own hair, teeth and Blues Band; me and herself have a great social life, gigs, cinema and theatre, restaurants, book-club, travelling, eating and drinking with a wide variety of friends (when not locked down) and a sex life that still keeps us happy.
You're as old as you act. Retirement and sensible pension planning has brought me the life I would have loved when I was younger. (Smug twat, I know!:cool:)
My god you have every right to be smug mate well done, am 66 been married 42 yrs, happy as Larry but never gan out these days, other than the match, never go to the pub. Your last point, haven't partaken for over 20 yrs 😭😁

Back