“Be like Captain Tom”

Calling bullshit, who would say to a 99 year old, instead of a birthday party, walk round your garden and I’ll give you a £1 a lap?

The money raised first time round is all kosher.

The foundation looks like a money grab from the family. I appreciate the need for big charities to have to pay staff/costs, this is a low level organisation with the people running it using the donations to pay other companies they own; anyone with any self awareness/wanting to avoid a conflict of interest, would be using an independent 3rd party.

I didn’t know they worked in the charity sector, makes you really sceptical about the whole thing in the first place.
One grandson is on celebs go dating ffs

Is this real?

As much paid out in management fees as there actually were to charities. Have to be honest, I haven’t donated to any charities for a long time for this specific reason.

Calling bullshit, who would say to a 99 year old, instead of a birthday party, walk round your garden and I’ll give you a £1 a lap?

The money raised first time round is all kosher.

The foundation looks like a money grab from the family. I appreciate the need for big charities to have to pay staff/costs, this is a low level organisation with the people running it using the donations to pay other companies they own; anyone with any self awareness/wanting to avoid a conflict of interest, would be using an independent 3rd party.

I didn’t know they worked in the charity sector, makes you really sceptical about the whole thing in the first place.

Is this real?

It can cost a bit to set a charity up in the first place and have the level of infrastructure they'll have needed in a hurry to be able to process donations and supporter enquiries etc.
£200K to set up, which I suspect will include salaries and so on. Hmm. Not impossible.
A bit of clarity wouldn't come a miss. As ever something like this has come out first without the right of reply to those involved.

That said...

I'm genuinely included to believe this.
They paid money directly to their other companies.

Why are they giving 27k to their nightclub?

It's stories like this that make your job much harder I'd imagine. I personally only give to specific charities because the whole sector seems to be rife with greed and mismanagement.

I've had people ask me "Who pays your wages then"? or "Do you do that for free then?"
Nobody likes being taken for a mug so when something like this happens the entire sector face-palms.

The refusal to understand how JustGiving works was a massive issue not that long ago. About Captain Tom too. You had papers saying "how can they charge so much for their service?" etc which isn't a fair way of looking at it at all.
You then had people complaining to them for ages, despite them actually providing a vital service to thousands of charities around the country and probably world.
The fact that JG will actually collect the Gift Aid for you too is a massive bonus for charities as it's a huge admin effort.
If you're good at something never do it for free.

Their payment reports are extremely helpful too when trying to establish who is donating what, why and where it's come from.

Back