“Be like Captain Tom”

Story is a little more complicated than the headline mind.

The £40m (ish) raised by Tom for NHS Charities has nothing to do with this. That was all directly given to the charity.

This is a separate charitable arm they set up for further fund raising. and that raised another £1m. So far only £400k has been distributed, of which about half was on the charity itself.
I don't actually know what a charities cost's usually are, but that currently sits at 20%. (And that's if you don't include the previous £40m - if so, then its 0.5%)

Does anyone know what this separate charitable foundation actually is? Maybe its a full time job for a few of them, with significant costs? Sorry, 8 pages and its probably already been covered - but I'm not reading 8 full pages :)

The £40m (ish) raised by Tom for NHS Charities has nothing to do with this. That was all directly given to the charity.

This is a separate charitable arm they set up for further fund raising. and that raised another £1m. So far only £400k has been distributed, of which about half was on the charity itself.
I don't actually know what a charities cost's usually are, but that currently sits at 20%. (And that's if you don't include the previous £40m - if so, then its 0.5%)

Does anyone know what this separate charitable foundation actually is? Maybe its a full time job for a few of them, with significant costs? Sorry, 8 pages and its probably already been covered - but I'm not reading 8 full pages :)
No, it's generally 8 pages of "Wrong Un" and "Dodgy Fookers" comments

Or just over 50% of expenditure as 600k hasn't been touched yet.

It can cost a bit to set a charity up in the first place and have the level of infrastructure they'll have needed in a hurry to be able to process donations and supporter enquiries etc.
£200K to set up, which I suspect will include salaries and so on. Hmm. Not impossible.
A bit of clarity wouldn't come a miss. As ever something like this has come out first without the right of reply to those involved.

That said...
Loves the attention the daughter like.
I'm genuinely included to believe this.

It can cost a bit to set a charity up in the first place and have the level of infrastructure they'll have needed in a hurry to be able to process donations and supporter enquiries etc.
£200K to set up, which I suspect will include salaries and so on. Hmm. Not impossible.
A bit of clarity wouldn't come a miss. As ever something like this has come out first without the right of reply to those involved.

That said...

I'm genuinely included to believe this.
The first part was what got me, he raised the money for the NHS. The NHS have people who would have distributed the money and it would not have cost a jot. However the family set up the charitable arm so they could decide who got the money and appointed themselves in roles that they got paid for. They then used PR companies who they were partners in to advise them - hence my earlier tongue in cheek comment about PPE. Like you I think it’s about her ego and making money out of the good fortune of the BBC turning him into a hero. If they had just handed over the money to the NHS directly then they would not of had this scrutiny- or the fame and whopping big pay cheque.

The first part was what got me, he raised the money for the NHS. The NHS have people who would have distributed the money and it would not have cost a jot. However the family set up the charitable arm so they could decide who got the money and appointed themselves in roles that they got paid for. They then used PR companies who they were partners in to advise them - hence my earlier tongue in cheek comment about PPE. Like you I think it’s about her ego and making money out of the good fortune of the BBC turning him into a hero. If they had just handed over the money to the NHS directly then they would not of had this scrutiny- or the fame and whopping big pay cheque.
Did you read the article? It doesn't agree with what you've said.

The article isn't about the £40m that was raised directly to the NHS Charities fund, that money never touched the family.
This is about The Captain Tom Moore foundation which they set up afterwards, which has raised about £1m.

"The foundation was set up following the culmination of Sir Captain Tom's original charitable donation, and is not affiliated with NHS Charities together."

Well that's total nonsense. He initially raised money for NHS Charities Together, not the NHS*. All of the £30 million or whatever it was went to them. And no, it doesn't cost "not a jot" to distribute income, but anyway...

Then the family set up a completely separate foundation to continue raising money. I don't know why, I don't know what it's for, I don't know what their strategy is. But there's absolutely sod all context in this story, and jumping straight to the idea that it's for nefarious reasons is low.

*NHS Charities Together is not the NHS. It is to the NHS what a PTA is to a school.

Did you read the article? It doesn't agree with what you've said.

The article isn't about the £40m that was raised directly to the NHS Charities fund, that money never touched the family.
This is about The Captain Tom Moore foundation which they set up afterwards, which has raised about £1m.

"The foundation was set up following the culmination of Sir Captain Tom's original charitable donation, and is not affiliated with NHS Charities together."
Yes and if you look my comments relate to what happened at the time the article has been attached to a thread from 2019. He did the walk to give the money to the NHS when it became big they gave themselves jobs to administer the donations and decide who got that money The daughter was on
£40 k to administer these donations. They then set up the charity for subsequent money.

Yes and if you look my comments relate to what happened at the time the article has been attached to a thread from 2019. He did the walk to give the money to the NHS when it became big they gave themselves jobs to administer the donations and decide who got that money The daughter was on
£40 k to administer these donations. They then set up the charity for subsequent money.
Unless I'm mistaken (and other comments directly above indicate I am not), the money raised from the walk was given direct to the NHS Charities Together organistion. The family did not have anything to do with it.

Also, the chartiy "NHS Charities Together" is NOT "the NHS". Its a completely separate organisation.

The family then - afterwards - created a new charity to raise money. So far £1m ish has been raised. That's the money they are distributing to (so far) 4 different charities.

Well that's total nonsense. He initially raised money for NHS Charities Together, not the NHS*. All of the £30 million or whatever it was went to them. And no, it doesn't cost "not a jot" to distribute income, but anyway...

Then the family set up a completely separate foundation to continue raising money. I don't know why, I don't know what it's for, I don't know what their strategy is. But there's absolutely sod all context in this story, and jumping straight to the idea that it's for nefarious reasons is low.

*NHS Charities Together is not the NHS. It is to the NHS what a PTA is to a school.
Do some research the family made decisions and paid themselves to decide. At the time he did the walk to raise money for the NHS. It was never about specific areas of the NHS until it became big. As for the not a jot comment if they had handed it over to the NHS as was the original intention it would not have cost anything to administer as the NHS charities would have done that for them. And this is what they should have done - hand it direct to the NHS charities but they di. There’s s lot more to come out about this.

Probably worth watching

And also

Having worked with JustGiving for 20 years, I know that unless it’s a crowdfunder page (which it wasn’t) the income has nothing to do with whoever set the page up. It would have gone directly to NHSCT.

The family can’t possibly have had anything to do with “handing it over” to NHSCT.

Back