“Be like Captain Tom”

Be interesting to see where the money is going. He crowdfunded the money to get it made now trying to flog it for £29k. Hope he pockets the lot, it's what Captain Tom would have wanted.

Leeds-based artistic creator Tony Clark commissioned artists in Indonesia to make the life-sized statue of the record-breaking fundraiser.

He’ll be in profit regardless, he didn’t even make it himself the cheeky twat.

Hope he pockets the lot, it's what Captain Tom would have wanted.
in time the captain tom story will be remembered as a great example of how a wholesome story can be taken over my complete chancers & hanger's on clinging to someones 15 mins of fame. post covid we're perhaps too cynical to think someone does something entirely without self gain.

in time the captain tom story will be remembered as a great example of how a wholesome story can be taken over my complete chancers & hanger's on clinging to someones 15 mins of fame. post covid we're perhaps too cynical to think someone does something entirely without self gain.
I would argue that it was never a wholesome story and was always a cynical attempt by the daughter to get publicity and see how she could gain from it.
Your point still stands though. Whenever something is in the news, people will latch onto it under the guise of 'paying tribute' when in reality they are trying to sell something.
I think we should be a bit more cynical and shouldn't constantly retweet stuff which is blatant self promotion.
We see a lot of it closer to home as well.
I guess anything is fair game when it is 'for charity' but for every Kevin Sinfield, there is a Hannah Ingram-Moore.

I would argue that it was never a wholesome story and was always a cynical attempt by the daughter to get publicity and see how she could gain from it.
Your point still stands though. Whenever something is in the news, people will latch onto it under the guise of 'paying tribute' when in reality they are trying to sell something.
I think we should be a bit more cynical and shouldn't constantly retweet stuff which is blatant self promotion.
We see a lot of it closer to home as well.
I guess anything is fair game when it is 'for charity' but for every Kevin Sinfield, there is a Hannah Ingram-Moore.

I'd never give to a random just-giving page started up on social media tbh. Probably over-cynical but that lass in Cumbria who pretended to be a victim of grooming and that Alan Barnes episode (not really his fault admittedly) have shown where these things can end up.

and that Alan Barnes episode (not really his fault admittedly)
'kin ell, forgot about that... i suppose that's the gateshead version of captain tom! :lol:
yeah fairpoint, seen from now... i'd never heard of her until after he passed but thinking about it now.... how did it get traction in the first place? i doubt the old fella was all over social media himself (he was too busy saving the NHS!).

Last edited:

Back