‘High likelihood of human civilisation coming to end’ by 2050

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last edited:
....On another note. What’s the point in trying to fight it then if we’ve already past the point of no return.
Get rid of carbon tax, recycling tax and littering fines.....

I think mitigation may still be the best way forward but as you say we appear to have delayed acting for so long that we may indeed be past the point of no return. The problem with such a thermodynamic system as the climate is that there is a delayed reaction by nature or latency built in. Even if we reached zero emissions of CO2 overnight it would still be some time before the actual effect.

The other problem is positive feedbacks such as the permafrost defreezing and releasing methane. This has been happening for some time now but there is so much more methane frozen on the sea bed. It was hoped that point would never be reached but there are indications it has already begun. The even more serious positive feedback would be if the temperature continues to rise another couple of degrees beyond the target which would result in the microbiology of forests changing and emitting CO2 rather than absorbing the greenhouse gas. That would remove any benefit from reforestation.

Personally I think 2050 may be optimistic because the rate of glacial melt is accelerating and as I've said before by 2040 due to fresh water shortages we will see massive migration like the earth has never seen before. India will put pressure on the Middle East which will put pressure on .Europe. Migration from Africa will also put pressure on Europe which will have its own internal conflicts. Simply leaving the EU will not save Britain.

Our human systems will be strained to breaking point as was predicted in the Pentagon report of 2003.

https://grist.files.wordpress.com/2004/02/abruptclimatechange2003.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back