‘Club running the stadium off a generator’

Pretty sure the stadium is supplied by a single incoming point of supply, an 11kV loop-in from a passing main around the perimeter of Sheepfolds to an integrated substation near the main entrance. So yes, it's plausible that the cable could have been cut but the fact that the generator is there implies that a backfeed wasn't possible. So the problem was probably at the substation.
Its costing us a fortune to put on matches with a generator but sure we will be entitled to compensation for it
The club won't pay anything directly other than their normal bills as its up to NPG to provide a supply as part of their licensing conditions. But yes, it's very expensive. Running a diesel generator of that size long-term is the last thing they want to be doing. Especially, as I believe, they don't own generators, they're rented from contractors.

Last edited:
I worked in the industry with part of the role to organise gennys etc when things like this happened. Not unusual to have them hooked up this long. We would also get security to sit and watch it 24/7. They would forget to check the fuel gauge and it would cut out. At least whoever are in charge have nailed that part of operation 😁

There was also apparently something like a three month lead time on the replacement parts.

No. It took out the Hilton when it happened as well. The problem is that the stadium has far greater power requirements, not least because of the floodlights. So while the Hilton was back online the next day, the stadium needs the generator until the substation is repaired.
Supply doesn't work like that though.eother they're both off or both on.

I worked in the industry with part of the role to organise gennys etc when things like this happened. Not unusual to have them hooked up this long. We would also get security to sit and watch it 24/7. They would forget to check the fuel gauge and it would cut out. At least whoever are in charge have nailed that part of operation 😁
So they had one job and 😂

I can vouch for that . Our estate was on a generator for about 3 weeks. The initial power cuts were annoying enough until they brought in the generator but when we had another cut a few days later it was pretty obvious that the daft beggars had allowed it to run dry.

I was amazed that they allowed their operatives to play around with a thing like high voltage electricity. :evil:

Back