£98m aid to India

No, it's called Diplomacy. If we want a good post Brexit deal with India, it is important to remain on favourable terms and utilize soft power influence such as this as a means of attaining leverage.
Well I'm not gonna say bribery doesn't work, I personally am not in favour it.

You see, here’s the issue with peoples understanding of foreign aid. UK press and some politicians would have you believe that we just send money out and that they’re all having at laugh at our expense whilst sending rockets into space.

Foreign aid in some cases is effectively a bribe that governments can employ, a way of buying favour so that we receive favourable turns elsewhere. In other cases it’s a supra-national agreement we’ve made to provide aid to a country but again, we will typically receive something in turn.

Is the correct answer, this is how big stuff in the world works, bit of palm greasing......some of ye hysterical fannies need to travel more.....

I seen an article this morning saying that last year we sent £650 million to other EU countries for health care that the British people has had while in their country, we only receive £46 million. Something needs to be done about these things, people saying £100 million is nothing need to give their head a wobble, if we cut a £100 million from here and there it adds up to a lot. I'm not against foreign aid but I think it can be controlled a lot better.

That’s not foreign aid. You’re right though, something does need to be done about that particular issue. Even the EU themselves have questioned why UK government are so bad at recovering medical costs for foreign citizens accessing our medical care, because they can, the system is in place to do so, they just don’t.

Then we should tell them to fuck off and have no part in such a corrupt culture.

Simple answers to complex problems. That’s the way of the world now isn’t it?

Last edited by a moderator:
You see, here’s the issue with peoples understanding of foreign aid. UK press and some politicians would have you believe that we just send money out and that they’re all having at laugh at our expense whilst sending rockets into space.

Foreign aid in some cases is effectively a bribe that governments can employ, a way of buying favour so that we receive favourable turns elsewhere. In other cases it’s a supra-national agreement we’ve made to provide aid to a country but again, we will typically receive something in turn.
What? Like the Indians stealing the UK call centre jobs, it doesn't seem like the bribe is working very well.

That’s not foreign aid. You’re right though, something does need to be done about that particular issue. Even the EU themselves have questioned why UK government are so bad at recovering medical costs for foreign citizens accessing our medical care, because they can, the system is in place to do so, they just don’t.

Simple answers to complex problems. That’s the way of the world now isn’t it?
Not really, but a government has a responsibility to it's people to be transparent about what it is doing with its revenue. If it is being packaged as aid then it should go to where it is most effective, where they can be sure it is going to where it is meant to go. If the money is being paid in order to facilitate commerce then calling it aid is misleading the public.

I hope this is a less simplistic answer for you, but in reality I'm still saying the same thing but sober this time ;).

0.7 per cent of our national income gets sent abroad in foreign aid!

Could fix the NHS with that.
A fair point but we also spend 2.2% on defence despite already having the potential to destroy the planet. If the yanks would ever give us the launch codes. One year of not spending on bombs would do a lot of good.

A regular misconception, whilst it's unlikely we would ever use nuclear weapons without the yanks being involved we do not need them in a launch.
Trident D5 can use US GPS for targeting but if they were switched off or destroyed Astro Navigation would be used.

The people who shout loudest about international aid also tend to be the ones who are most opposed to economic migration from 3rd world countries. Its as if they deliberately miss the connection.

Back