£16 credit-card sized computer. Raspberry Pi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramshanker

Winger
Interesting little project from the UK, Raspberry Pi available this month.
Apparently it's aimed at boosting interest in programming, but it's already running a version of XBMC and it can cope with 1080p video.

The Broadcom chipset features hardware acceleration that allows for h.264 content at 1080p Blu-ray quality to decode at 30 frames per second

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NR57ELY28s

Model A Model B
Target price: [1] USD $25 (GBP £16) USD $35 (GBP £22)
SoC: [1] Broadcom BCM2835 (CPU + GPU + DSP + SDRAM) [3]
CPU: 700 MHz ARM1176JZF-S core (ARM11 family) [3]
GPU: Broadcom VideoCore IV,[34] OpenGL ES 2.0, 1080p30 h.264/MPEG-4 AVC high-profile decode [3]
Memory (SDRAM): 128 MiB 256 MiB
USB 2.0 ports: [8] 1 2 (via integrated USB hub) [33]
Video outputs: [1] Composite RCA, HDMI
Audio outputs: [1] 3.5 mm jack, HDMI
Onboard storage: [8] SD / MMC / SDIO card slot
Onboard network: [1][8] None 10/100 Ethernet (RJ45) [33]
Low-level peripherals: 8 x GPIO, UART, I²C bus, SPI bus with two chip selects, +3.3 V, +5 V, Ground [34][35]
(GPIO connector is not assembled on the board, see below for details)
Power ratings: 500 mA (2.5 W) [1] 700 mA (3.5 W)
Power source: [1] 5 V via MicroUSB or optional GPIO header
Size: 85.60 × 53.98 mm (3.370 × 2.125 in) [36]
Supported operating systems: Debian GNU/Linux, Fedora, Arch Linux [2

I think they'll be loads of community project happening for this little thing in the coming months. It seems as if it would already make a cheap HTPC (can use an android phone as a remote) or a retro gaming machine.

They'll be selling the first batch of 10,00 this month as far as I know... I reckon they sell like hotcakes

Created by David Braben, who us old geeks will remember as one 1 half of the team that wrote Elite back in the early 80's on the BBC computer.

Which may be why the new Pi has models A and B ;)

/Geek mode off

I'm going to try and get one when they go on sale. I could do with a cheap little media player for the bedroom.

If it's $25 in the US, you can guarantee it'll be £25 instead of £16 here. It usually works that way.

I thought that as well. I'm hoping as it's British we'll get the proper rate

I've been following this.
The first 10 prototypes sold for £1000+.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

:eek: Thats crazy

Last edited:
I was going to get one, but there's just one snag - no digital audio out (optical or coaxial) to connect to my Dolby Digital/DTS decoder. Pity, it's otherwise excellent. I'll watch the project with interest.

I was going to get one, but there's just one snag - no digital audio out (optical or coaxial) to connect to my Dolby Digital/DTS decoder. Pity, it's otherwise excellent. I'll watch the project with interest.

That would screw me too, but only because I have a shit amp that doesn't take multiple hdmi in and send only one out.

Digital Audio Out is carried by HDMI if you have the right kit :neutral:

What a complete failure this launch was.
Both sites to buy from (Farnell & RS Components) have crashed.

would be the first company to do this on purpose.. we're gullible as fuck us consumers.

would be the first company to do this on purpose.. we're gullible as fuck us consumers.

This has the potential to bring affordable computing to every household. And its a British product.

But true to form, its messed up.
Currently bigger than the iPad 3 in the social media world.

So what are they going to be? Like a " normal " computer? Browsing internet? Listening to music? Playing games? Word? Haven't got a clue me.

So what are they going to be? Like a " normal " computer? Browsing internet? Listening to music? Playing games? Word? Haven't got a clue me.

They won't play top end games. They will play "phone" type games.

Office Apps should be fine, internet and media will be spot on - that's the whole point.

are they going to have a case or be sold as a circuit board?
Think the first batch are developer boards ie no case. they expect to have them cased up for future runs. You can get a plastic box for a few quid from maplins - whack it in there, drill the slots for the hdmi etc and you're away.

Think the first batch are developer boards ie no case. they expect to have them cased up for future runs. You can get a plastic box for a few quid from maplins - whack it in there, drill the slots for the hdmi etc and you're away.

the guardian clip suggests the full version is going to be about half the size of a business card. which is mint but the desk is going to be full of bloody wires and cables!

Am i the only fucker who hasnt a clue what its all about?

And the fact that ive worked in IT for 16+ years and i'm still cluless is worrying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back