Yann M'vila - target or not?

Not if we’d signed him way before January. It’s not like we didn’t know we needed a defensive midfielder all season.
It doesn’t matter now like as the season is over.
Him and his agent were still f***ing around waiting for an imaginary top end move in those days. There’s better than him. Go get them.

Last edited:
It was against one of the worst sides to ever play in this division like.

Given he's only just got up a level of match fitness now, with 7 games to go, he wouldn't have made any difference to our season anyway. Presumably he's earning a fortune as well.

We've needed a holding midfielder since Evans went off injured about a year ago. Not sorting that out in the summer was the missed opportunity. I didn't understand the clamour for M'Vila in January, he was never the answer to anything.

Aye. I qualified my earlier post with that too.

He has been available all year. He was a free agent and he could have been signed at any time and got up to fitness a lot quicker. We’ve been desperate for a player in that role and he was an easy and viable option. Mowbray was practically begging for a midfielder with experience. He would have come and not broken the wage structure.

We signed none.
From what I’ve seen from west brom fans they seemed to think he looked fairly rusty and his passing was quite wayward

Any links to those comments? I suspect it might be one comment on twitter about three minutes into the game!

Passing success rate of 87%, 76 passes. He was really comfortable and just looked entirely at ease. Poor opposition to say the least however

Last edited:
We got a million for Gooch. Committed, heart like a lion, but too attacking to be a defender, too defensive to be an attacker. We would have forever blamed him for things, he was our favourite scapegoat. Stoke are where they are in small part because it was the right deal for us.
He wasn't really a scapegoat, that would have meant he was blamed for other people's mistakes. I think he mainly got shit because of his own mistakes. A boo-boy maybe, but again that was down to his consistent mistakes. A decent, honest pro who gave his all but was an accident waiting to happen in defence and it usually did and didn't quite have the quality to go any further as a winger.

Aye. I qualified my earlier post with that too.

He has been available all year. He was a free agent and he could have been signed at any time and got up to fitness a lot quicker. We’ve been desperate for a player in that role and he was an easy and viable option. Mowbray was practically begging for a midfielder with experience. He would have come and not broken the wage structure.

We signed none.

Any links to those comments? I suspect it might be one comment on twitter about three minutes into the game!

Passing success rate of 87%, 76 passes. He was really comfortable and just looked entirely at ease. Poor opposition to say the least however
just searched M’vila on twitter. A couple people saying similar to you that he looked good against poor opposition. Some saying he did ok but others saying he was off the pace. One joked he was 10 minutes behind everyone else and was clumsy.

I think he’s still clearly a good player but probably needs a full pre season before he’s up to speed. Will be interesting to see if WBA offer him a new deal.

Not if we’d signed him way before January. It’s not like we didn’t know we needed a defensive midfielder all season.
It doesn’t matter now like as the season is over.
In fairness this is a reasonable point, we could have signed him in the summer or at any point as he was out of contract. He could only be registered in an open window but he could have been training and getting properly fit ready for January. In the summer I think we expected to sign someone else. In January we were just not very good in the market.

Essentially he has had a decent game against one of the weakest teams ever to grace this league and cost his team 2 points with the most ridiculous foul ive ever seen at the weekend.

Bit daft people trying to use his performances at WBA as evidence that we should have sgned him. He could well be finished.

Mind, by not signing him, we've given Ekwah a full season, Neil has flourished and Rigg looks nailed on to be a first team regular next season, with Jobe and Auchiche pushed on.

4 from 5 of those on any given Saturday looks like a very strong midfield to me. Add maybe one more in the summer.

Mind, by not signing him, we've given Ekwah a full season, Neil has flourished and Rigg looks nailed on to be a first team regular next season, with Jobe and Auchiche pushed on.

4 from 5 of those on any given Saturday looks like a very strong midfield to me. Add maybe one more in the summer.
And yet none of them look comfortable at Cdm

Back