Wrexham

I don't get the hate for Wrexham especially from the lower end clubs. This Hollywood rhetoric.

A working class twon who've probably been hit economically more than the average town and fans that have engaged through football.
Most thought that Reynolds and co would get fed up but looks like they've really bought into to the club and the expansion of the area.
Fair play to them.
Still Welsh bitter bastards but I've loved the story and the drama.
To make it worse for people who support us and critique them, the success includes three former Sunderland players and the failed manager.

We did, during a season that culminated by beating WHU on the Monday post cup final delayed game. We'd come from about 8th in March to get there in what was a tight division at the top end. We just couldn't get over the line at the end, the Cardiff (a) was one of the most nervewracking football days I (and probably many others) had.
Yeah I was at Cardiff - great day that was.

I don't get the hate for Wrexham especially from the lower end clubs. This Hollywood rhetoric.

A working class twon who've probably been hit economically more than the average town and fans that have engaged through football.
Most thought that Reynolds and co would get fed up but looks like they've really bought into to the club and the expansion of the area.
Fair play to them.
Still Welsh bitter bastards but I've loved the story and the drama.
To make it worse for people who support us and critique them, the success includes three former Sunderland players and the failed manager.
It’s because they’ve had huge financial and marketing investment for their level. Some people view it as unfair and they’re now a ‘Goliath’ figure among Davids

30 at the start of next season and has 3 goals above league 2 in his career. Would be a meltdown on here if we signed him without the Wrexham hype behind him

And to think he wasn’t in our starting 11 when we had him.
Spent a fair few games on the bench. Always put a decent shift in and was disappointed to see him go.
I was at Stockport v Wrexham earlier this season, got absolutely mullered 5-0. They'll get found out next season

They will spend money.

Last edited:
I think the project will start to stall now. They'll have to start seriously investing in the whole playing infrastructure and they'd be foolish to do so to try and break through to a level where they could lose their investment.

Other than a personal vanity project who outside of Wrexham is going to follow them anyway. I can' t see Americans wanting to watch lower league football.

They'd probably have enough to get into the Championship if they wanted. Reynolds alone is worth an absolute fortune. Sold his mobile phone business recently for something like $300 million.

But as we found out. Most lower league fans are bitter bastards and you're "arrogant" if you even dare dream of promotion.
Owners who seem to have invested both financially and emotionally in their club. They have used the tools they have at their disposal to put their club in the eye of a global audience, in itself a means of increasing physical and financial investment. Yes they’ve spent plenty, but that in itself has been proven time after time in various leagues not to be any guarantee of success. Fair play to them. I do think it’s going to take another huge step to compete for success in L1 though. Really interested to see how they get on.

Level between the top end of the Conference and the top end of League Two doesn't seem to be that drastic over the last 5/10 years, even less so if you've got a few bob to spend or a good manager.

Suspect they'll do alright next season because of the money but there's gonna have to be a canny turn over of players. They had players this year who weren't even registered to play in the league they had that many. Then add on to that a lot of their starters are either players from non league and/or are in their 30's.

Owners who seem to have invested both financially and emotionally in their club. They have used the tools they have at their disposal to put their club in the eye of a global audience, in itself a means of increasing physical and financial investment. Yes they’ve spent plenty, but that in itself has been proven time after time in various leagues not to be any guarantee of success. Fair play to them. I do think it’s going to take another huge step to compete for success in L1 though. Really interested to see how they get on.
Im not especially bothered about personally, I think the whole "content creation" aspect of football is pretty annoying tbh.

But I have zero time for the majority of the fans in League One, who seemed absolutely outraged that a club with six league titles and 2 FA Cups, who were in the third division for only the second time in their history, and spent the majority of our history the top flight, might not be happy with being midtable under Parky. Apparently losing to Shrewsbury, Burton and Morecambe should of been acceptable to us.

So if Wrexham go up and make them all fume then fine by me. Fuck the lot of them.

Two of the sides coming down this season are very decent sides and Rotherham tend to come straight back up when go down. Added to that one of Bolton and derby will be in that league next year. Very very big class divide between league one and two. I live in wrexham as a Sunderland fan with a dim view of parky and own fans have cottoned onto parky ball or bust

See if we can poach Parky in the summer
please god, no.
Is league 1 a bit more competitive and therefore more difficult to get out of compared to L2?
I know Parkinson had a blinder last time he managed in that league...

But fair play to Wrexham, they have strikers who score goals so anything is possible, I guess.

Last edited:
And to think he wasn’t in our starting 11 when we had him.
Spent a fair few games on the bench. Always put a decent shift in and was disappointed to see him go.

They will spend money.
It will only get them so far before FFP catches up with them. They're building an aging and very expensive squad with no resell value, sounds very similar to us around 10 years ago

They really aren’t a fairytale. In their accounts following their promotion season from The National League, they were £17m in debt. They racked up £17m of debt as a non-league club spending their way up. There is no FFP in The National League system, so no rule against this.

The accounts for this season will be interesting. In League 2 you are only allowed to spend 50% of turnover on wages. Based on projected income levels, either they will have to have significantly reduced their wage bill from last season (very unlikely), or received a hefty owner gift (note - gift, and not interest free loan like the money the owners have put in to date). Or they should receive a hefty points deduction next season.

They really aren’t a fairytale. In their accounts following their promotion season from The National League, they were £17m in debt. They racked up £17m of debt as a non-league club spending their way up. There is no FFP in The National League system, so no rule against this.

The accounts for this season will be interesting. In League 2 you are only allowed to spend 50% of turnover on wages. Based on projected income levels, either they will have to have significantly reduced their wage bill from last season (very unlikely), or received a hefty owner gift (note - gift, and not interest free loan like the money the owners have put in to date). Or they should receive a hefty points deduction next season.
How much is that balance skewed towards players wages and player payments though? No doubt they’ve a high wage bill. Going off the telly programme though hasn’t there been significant investment in a new stand, new pitch, facilities, their women’s team etc?

They'd probably have enough to get into the Championship if they wanted. Reynolds alone is worth an absolute fortune. Sold his mobile phone business recently for something like $300 million.
But but owners aren’t allowed to invest money in their club for fear they will go bust. Look at Ipswich !! Heard it on here

How much is that balance skewed towards players wages and player payments though? No doubt they’ve a high wage bill. Going off the telly programme though hasn’t there been significant investment in a new stand, new pitch, facilities, their women’s team etc?
Wages and net transfers made up ~95% of turnover. Their debt comes from spending big on wages, player purchases, and infrastructure all at the same time. People moan that City did it, but think it’s “romantic” when “little old Wrexham” do it to a proportionately larger extent.

Back