Wrexham

Have they even been any higher than mid table league 1? Hopefully that won't change any time soon
Wrexham's history is largely that of a club in the lower reaches of the professional football pyramid. However, they did have a golden era for a dozen years from about 1971 when they were a strong 3rd tier/midtable 2nd tier side. Tholis was the Wrexham of my childhood so I probably think of them as a bigger club than they ever have been.

They had a single year of great success in 1977-78 when they won the third division championship, won the Welsh Cup and reached the quarter finals of both the FA and League cups.
I believe they have won more Welsh Cups than either Cardiff or Swansea.

Wrexham's history is largely that of a club in the lower reaches of the professional football pyramid. However, they did have a golden era for a dozen years from about 1971 when they were a strong 3rd tier/midtable 2nd tier side. Tholis was the Wrexham of my childhood so I probably think of them as a bigger club than they ever have been.

They had a single year of great success in 1977-78 when they won the third division championship, won the Welsh Cup and reached the quarter finals of both the FA and League cups.
I believe they have won more Welsh Cups than either Cardiff or Swansea.
Does make sense I suppose, the childhood thing. Tranmere and Gillingham were going through a golden period when I was growing up so I always saw them as bigger clubs than they are in reality.

I don’t even understand why they (or Cardiff/Swansea) are in the EFL, they aren’t English. Scottish clubs aren’t allowed to play in our league so why are Welsh clubs allowed?
Quite a simple answer. A professional Scottish league was formed in 1890 - just 2 years after the English league. By 1892 the English Football League had proved successful and over the next few years the league expanded as more and more clubs became pro and applied to join the pyramid - including Welsh clubs.

The Welsh League was inaugurated about 15 years after the Scottish League and by that time many Welsh clubs had already joined the English pyramid.

Quite a simple answer. A professional Scottish league was formed in 1890 - just 2 years after the English league. By 1892 the English Football League had proved successful and over the next few years the league expanded as more and more clubs became pro and applied to join the pyramid - including Welsh clubs.

The Welsh League was inaugurated about 15 years after the Scottish League and by that time many Welsh clubs had already joined the English pyramid.
Not just confined to Welsh clubs in England. Several examples of club teams based in one jurisdiction and playing in another, for various reasons. Berwick Rangers, Derry City, Monaco. Wellington Phoenix from NZ playing in the Aussie A league and all.

Does make sense I suppose, the childhood thing. Tranmere and Gillingham were going through a golden period when I was growing up so I always saw them as bigger clubs than they are in reality.
Well, yes.
Until say 1990, Tranmere and Gillinghan were probably ranked 82 and 90 in terms of success among the 92 clubs in the league pyramid. Real minnows and lower than Wrexham.

Last edited:
I think the project will start to stall now. They'll have to start seriously investing in the whole playing infrastructure and they'd be foolish to do so to try and break through to a level where they could lose their investment.

Other than a personal vanity project who outside of Wrexham is going to follow them anyway. I can' t see Americans wanting to watch lower league football.

I think the project will start to stall now. They'll have to start seriously investing in the whole playing infrastructure and they'd be foolish to do so to try and break through to a level where they could lose their investment.

Other than a personal vanity project who outside of Wrexham is going to follow them anyway. I can' t see Americans wanting to watch lower league football.
I'd imagine they'd have things in place for when they got promoted, ie. Further investors

What a fairytale story eh
Yes indeed. It’s “only cost” them £25m (net debt of Wrexham now compared to 2 seasons ago) to get them out of the National League to League One. Which is only £10m more than it cost Luton in net debt to get from National League to Premier League. They are a fairy tale of epic proportions.

Yeah that was the season after, think we beat the mags, Shrewsbury and Wrexham over Easter.
We did, during a season that culminated by beating WHU on the Monday post cup final delayed game. We'd come from about 8th in March to get there in what was a tight division at the top end. We just couldn't get over the line at the end, the Cardiff (a) was one of the most nervewracking football days I (and probably many others) had.

He’s hardly played this season. He’ll be away.
And probably out of contract too so worked well

Loose change spent so far

Last edited:
And probably out of contract too so worked well

Loose change spent so far

People with considerably more financial means than them have tried to buy success and failed miserably. How are they ever going to bring in any significant revenue to attract investors?

Can’t say Wrexham fans haven’t been through it with everything that happened 15 years or so ago (they showed this in the documentary). But they’ve spent a fortune in recent years so no wonder they’ve had successive promotions. Not the fairytale against the odds story some make it out to be.

Back