Virgil van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've lost me there marra. The point I was making though it that all 4 are good enough for the Premier League and probably worth the money paid for them too. So why are all signings from Scotland instantly dismissed as shite and a waste of money when you've not even seen them play?

I hope you aren't referring to me with that generalisation......i'm more than happy to judge a player on what i see of him. My original point was in debate with another poster earlier who referred to van Dijk as a "great player".........all i said was that he couldn't yet apply that tag given the context of his career so far.......and it's a point that can be applied to any player plying his trade in Scotland who has yet to play in a top league. That doesn't mean he's "shite and a waste of money".....it just means caution needs to be exercised when clubs are asking for such substantial fees for them.

I hope you aren't referring to me with that generalisation......i'm more than happy to judge a player on what i see of him. My original point was in debate with another poster earlier who referred to van Dijk as a "great player".........all i said was that he couldn't yet apply that tag given the context of his career so far.......and it's a point that can be applied to any player plying his trade in Scotland who has yet to play in a top league. That doesn't mean he's "shite and a waste of money".....it just means caution needs to be exercised when clubs are asking for such substantial fees for them.
I'm not going to trawl through old threads to identify which posters I'm talking about, but there's certainly enough of them on here for it to apply.

Maybe you should instead of tarring everyone with the same brush.
If it's not referring to you then there's nowt to get upset about. I have no idea who has posted what, I've just replied to individual posts.
I've still not no idea what your canny with his money comment was all about

Can anyone remember when we were linked with Baldi from Celtic and a striker called 'Fani' ?

Wish that had come off - would have been awesome listening to commentary when they passed to each other
:D

I'll get me coat...

I know what the phrase means, I'm not sure how it was relevant to the point I was making though.

We were in a discussion about fees for players from the Scottish leagues and how they were very high in relation to the level that the players had played at. I therefore used the phrase to highlight this. I can see where this is heading....... I've obviously touched a raw nerve here so if you've been offended by my racial stereotyping then please accept my profuse apologies.....;)

We were in a discussion about fees for players from the Scottish leagues and how they were very high in relation to the level that the players had played at. I therefore used the phrase to highlight this. I can see where this is heading....... I've obviously touched a raw nerve here so if you've been offended by my racial stereotyping then please accept my profuse apologies.....;)
Haha, I'm not Scottish in the slightest, just live here, so stereotype all you want. Though the Mrs is Scottish and she spends money like it's going out of fashion so unfortunately it's not very accurate.
I just didn't really get your point. They were all players that turned out to be worth the decent sum of money that was paid for them was my point and they looked just as good in the premier league as they did up here. Not every signing from the spl is a boumsong or a hooper.

Interesting that mate. This was obviously before he went to Celtic I take it? I like the fact that he's a long term target of Poyet's. It doesn't make Poyet's judgement perfect but it at least suggests that he's not formed an opinion over a couple of games but over a couple of years.

This may have been the straw that broke Poyet's impatience. Not that Brighton weren't prepared to pay £4.5 million but it would make the losses unacceptable for FFP.

Now it will be a bidding war. £10 million should do it.

On 21 June 2013, he signed a four-year contract with Celtic for a fee of around £2.6m after leaving Eredivisie club FC Groningen. So the figure of £4.5 million was likely to be exaggerated.

Last edited:
I'm struggling to understand how someone who was signed for less that £3m last season and didn't have an absolutely amazing season could be worth anywhere near £10m; am I missing something ludicrously obvious? I reckon we'd be willing to spend £3-5m on a centre-back; it would probably be the kind of signing we would aim for, but £10m??? Surely not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back