Top 5 worst Sunderland home games

Sunderland 2 Barnsley 3

2-0 up and cruising. Proctor then missed a penalty and Roger Wylde scored a hat trick in the 2nd half IIRC.

Defeat sent us into the playoffs will Gillingham.....…will leave it at that!

Not sure if I'm missremembering but Boxing Day and NYD home games always seem to be shockers.

Also, although not technically a home game, the away match at Elland Road that was beamed back to Roker Park (1988?), couldn't see a f**king thing due to the sun shining directly on the screen, by the time it was fixed we were 3-0 down.

The day the Asian tsunami happened on Boxing Day, an ageing Brian Deane schooled us in a 3-2 defeat to Leeds at the SoL. A good Boxing Day memory for me was when we beat Bradford 2-0 under Reid but it could've been 10.
Sunderland 2 Barnsley 3

2-0 up and cruising. Proctor then missed a penalty and Roger Wylde scored a hat trick in the 2nd half IIRC.

Jim Dobbin scored for them just before half time to make it 2-1. That was the only day I ever sat in the Main Stand seats (near the Roker End).

Last edited:
Sunderland 2 Barnsley 3

We threw away a 2-1 lead at home to Bradford a couple of matches before then too and I have in my mind we missed a pen in that one and/or one of the Gillingham play off games but I might be misremembering.

I've seen 5 of the 6 5-1 home defeats in our entire history - West Ham with a team including Bobby Moore, West Brom with Jeff Astle , Manchester Utd. with Brian Robson and then Stoke and Blackburn with a load of shite in the last 2 seasons. The capitulations in the last 2 seasons by far the worst as they were both so self inflicted with possession gifted to the opposition for most of the goals. FTM

What’s the worst 5 you’ve been to? A memory popped up from “on this day” which got me thinking about it.

1. Mags 1-4 2006
2. Mags 0-3 2024
3. Everton 0-2 FA cup 2012
4. Crystal Palace 2-1 Play off semi 2004
5. Mags 0-1 2011
None of them are in the worst top twenty man. We've now got three games from the last year alone all worse. Stoke Boro and Blackburn

Back