Tommy Lynn - RIP

Thatā€™s a great idea.
I recall being very envious of a Northern Soul patch of Tomā€™s at the Barnes disco way back in the day, ā€œDetroit Emeraldsā€.
Canā€™t remember if he had it on his shirt, or a holdall.
Funny the things that stick in your mind tho.
"Sweet Soul Music" by Arthur Conley was one of his favourites at the Barnes disco too. :cool:

I was on that Grimsby bus, had to collect my bag which contained a bottle of Billys magic Vodka.
The desk Sargent wasnt to impressed with the two coppers who had confiscated all the drink.
His very words were give them there fooking stuff back and get them all out of here.
Billy's potion was something else like. šŸ˜‚

Knew Tommy from The Stackyard and Board Inn bus in the 90ā€™s. He made everyone welcome in his company and for all his status within the fan community, was so down to earth and made people feel inclusive in the conversation.

Norwich away 1997, evening KO. Bumped into him in the town with a certain milkman friend and another Pennywell crackerjack. In passing conversation, Tommy showed me the business card of the B&B where they were all staying. We all met up in the pub after the match and the beers flowed. The group got split up and I got stuck with the crackerjack from Pennywell who didnā€™t havenā€™t a clue where his digs were and who suggested he could just bunk in with me. I was absolutely horrified at the prospect of this and had an instant flashback to Tommy showing me the details of their B&B. We walked the streets and found the digs and I avoided a scary night with crackerjack.

RIP Tommy

Almost word for word what I was going to type. That nod and an 'areet mate' are more meaningful on reflection. A reassurance that you're not the only mad bastard who spends tens of thousands of pounds following a largely crap team across the country. You do it because of the wonderful fanbase and Tom was a big part of that despite not knowing him personally, other than that nod and a hello. Being proud of everything Sunderland is a comment that so many of us can identify with. RIP Tom
Well said Mr Bump

R.I.P Tom.
Sad news.Tom always spoke when I bumped into him at various matches and would stop and talk on the way to the match.. He was a really genuine bloke.Bumped into him at Seaham a couple of weeks ago and he looked the picture of health.Such a shock.
My thoughts go out to his family.

still struggling to get my head around this
You and me both brother šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø
Knew Tommy from The Stackyard and Board Inn bus in the 90ā€™s. He made everyone welcome in his company and for all his status within the fan community, was so down to earth and made people feel inclusive in the conversation.

Norwich away 1997, evening KO. Bumped into him in the town with a certain milkman friend and another Pennywell crackerjack. In passing conversation, Tommy showed me the business card of the B&B where they were all staying. We all met up in the pub after the match and the beers flowed. The group got split up and I got stuck with the crackerjack from Pennywell who didnā€™t havenā€™t a clue where his digs were and who suggested he could just bunk in with me. I was absolutely horrified at the prospect of this and had an instant flashback to Tommy showing me the details of their B&B. We walked the streets and found the digs and I avoided a scary night with crackerjack.

RIP Tommy
Pennywell crackerjack must have been Chatfield? Baldy and mental and also no longer with us šŸ˜§

Last edited:
I knew Tom from way back in the 70ā€™s he was an absolute legend from Cheer up Peter Reid to fanzines - to turning up in the Mags end at Roker and causing mayhem! He did it all. When I contacted him years later I remember he wrote to my sons about SAFC - so much humility.

RIP Tom lad

Mickey? Dafter than the daftest brush
That's the lad, nuttier than squirrel shit! Tom loved him to bits though, was like having a court jester around all the time, some of the antics on the Board Inn bus could fill a book, unfortunately the best one to write it has just left the building, last time I spoke to Tom properly I mentioned he should have put all the stories together and it would be a best seller, "when I retire" he said.....šŸ˜£

In shock at this awful sad news. Tommy is a legend as a Sunderland fan and was a top man. My sincere condolences go to his beautiful wife Alison, daughter Julie, sister Barbara and extended family & friends. I was an usher at his wedding; travelled to away games with Tom; had a season ticket alongside him at Roker Park and went on a few memorable foreign holidays with him (sorted me out with a ghetto blaster from his Dad's shop on Holmeside). He was involved with SAFC Supporters Association in his younger days, a regular contributor in the Footy Echo (used to pip me for star letter prizes) then the fanzines ALS & TWR. RIP Tom, you'll be singing "Cheer Up Peter Reid" with Davva Maccam soon šŸ’™.
ā¤ļø

Back