Tim Bostock on Sky’s County Chanpionship preview vodcast

They tried to withdraw it after t20 really took off i think they may have even done it for a year but they also attempted to withdraw it from life members and i think because of the objections of one certain life member they realised they where on a sticky wicket so relented and its also part of a full annual members package.
Hmm I wonder which life member that could be?:lol:🤔

As you say I think there was a few seasons up to 2014 when members had the opportunity to pay a 'reduced rate' of £30 for the five T20 home fixtures even though it had been previously part of the package.

I wasn’t talking about ‘going forward’, I was talking about historically. It’s a fact, we had to be voted in to the First Class structure by the counties. I don’t like the sound of biting the hand that feeds.

I’ve argued against this before, but no, I don’t think cutting the numbers of counties would strengthen the competition - I also strongly believe it would weaken England significantly.

The talent pool would be shrunk, because more players would leave the game earlier due to lack of opportunities. What’s more, fewer players would get an opportunity in the first place. There are several players in the last decade who have been late developers, such as players like Keaton Jennings and Mark Stoneman, who at other counties wouldn’t have been given as much time to develop. I remember with both of those lads the early years were lean and full of frustration, but they were allowed to fail and given time to grow. Other players need a second bite at the cherry, who perhaps have been let go by a ‘bigger’ county and given a chance to thrive at a different county and gone from strength to strength.

Alex Lees being a prime example close to home. He’s played for England, scored thousands of runs for Durham and continued his profession, in a 10 team league he gets released from Yorkshire and probably seeks employment outside of cricket. Another example is Ben Raine, he was released by Durham and continued his profession at Leicestershire. Without a Second Division he probably leaves the game too, but he was able to further develop his skills and his craft and in two days time he’ll likely lead an attack in Division One.

I’ve seen it in other sports too, but to suggest that by shrinking the number of teams you’ll improve the top end standard whilst keeping the same talent opportunities coming into the game is just demonstrably wrong.

The newspaper article from last week that took extracts from the book seemed to suggest that was the case (the way I read it). Happy to be proven wrong on that.

BUT I still feel like ultimately, if you’re in an administrative position and you’re watching the damage that is being done to the county game by the 16.4 and your overriding thought is to want MORE of it, not less, then perhaps you’re part of the problem. Bostock may not know it - or perhaps I’m not giving him enough credit and his motives are darker - but he’s in a very privileged position and one which I consider to be that of a guardian of the game.

Really?? He’s called county members ‘luddites’, he’s accused a group of people a name and insinuated they’re resistant to change when the actual fact of the matter is that county members are arguably one of the most adaptive to change groups amongst any group of sports fans.

I haven’t seen a single person question that, but it doesn’t give him a free pass to go and do what he wants and/or say what he wants* in future. Let’s be frank, the 16.4 is the single biggest threat to the future of domestic cricket in this country and he wants to expand it and be a part of it.

*totally hypothetically.

I’ve seen some complete nonsense from you over the years, but this might just top the lot :lol:

Our immense bowling talent was all at the club (with the obvious exception of Boland) before Bostock arrived. Add to that the fact that he doesn’t pick the team, or coach the team, or decide which players are acquired.

But aye, it’s all Bostock’s work :lol:

Sorry Brandon but people need to toughen up if they get that offended by comments like that

Done a great job at Durham, all I’m bothered about

Sorry Brandon but people need to toughen up if they get that offended by comments like that

Done a great job at Durham, all I’m bothered about

Who said anything about being offended?

He’s seemingly pushing an agenda that simply isn’t true and he’s seeking to further a format that is the biggest threat to domestic cricket in my lifetime. That’s the problem.

He has done a great job, I’ve said that myself more than once already here, but nobody is immune from criticism and the work he’s done doesn’t give him a free lifetime pass.

Last edited:
If members felt that Bostock's language about them was insulting or disparaging they have every right to be offended. Nothing to do with mental toughness.

Interestingly, I thought we were moving past the whole ‘toughen up/stiff upper lip’ thinking in society.

If members felt that Bostock's language about them was insulting or disparaging they have every right to be offended. Nothing to do with mental toughness.

He wasn't having ago at Durham members. We aren't owned by members.
Interestingly, I thought we were moving past the whole ‘toughen up/stiff upper lip’ thinking in society.

Nothing to do with that, just think its bit poor reading all these comments criticising a bloke who has turned Durham around.

Nothing to do with that, just think its bit poor reading all these comments criticising a bloke who has turned Durham around.
He has done a good job at Durham undoubtedly for which no doubt he is handsomely remunerated. The majority of other counties are member controlled.Rather arrogant and disrespectful of Bostock to speak disparagingly of such people. They have every right to hold a view on how their club should progress even if it conflicts with Bostock's agenda.

Yeah I agree, I think he deserves some criticism for his latest comments and can see why some members are offended.

But personally think some of name calling towards him considering the big part he has played turning Durham around from rock bottom is a bit over the top.

Nobody on this board from what I’ve seen has criticised his performance. Which you’ve been told about four times now by me alone.

I’ve since heard him speak on both the BBC and Sky cricket podcasts and he spoke up county cricket - but I’ll say again, NOBODY is above criticism when that criticism is deserved.

Nobody on this board from what I’ve seen has criticised his performance. Which you’ve been told about four times now by me alone.

I’ve since heard him speak on both the BBC and Sky cricket podcasts and he spoke up county cricket - but I’ll say again, NOBODY is above criticism when that criticism is deserved.

Yeah fair enough

Yeah don’t get me wrong mate, totally bad craic what he came out with the other day
Good.I think we now agree that Bostock spoke out of turn negating the need for our Dad's to fight each other( in the celestial heavens in most cases I suspect).
Bostock 's Wiki page makes in interesting reading-talented sportsman as a youngster.

Last edited:
Good.I think we now agree that Bostock spoke out of turn negating the need for our Dad's to fight each other( in the celestial heavens in most cases I suspect).
Bostock 's Wiki page makes in interesting reading-talented sportsman as a youngster.
Well yeah, this is always room for manoeuvre in craic and debates, and it's clear and getting more cleare a lot of Durham fans very annoyed at what he said, and you have to respect that and as any leader/manager of any organisation the last thing you should be doing is talking down too or insulting fans.

I do think and not saying anyone saying otherwise, that as a whole he has been brilliant for Durham and is allowed and has gained enough respect to have his own vision of how he wants the game of cricket to move forward, even if people disagree with it, but he put it across wrongly anc think he probably realises that

Personally but that just me, all the good work and positives he has done for Durham certainly outweighs the negatives.

Again not saying anyone saying otherwise.

Last edited:

Back