Things you miss about football since you first went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stevie Freestein IIpost: 19621142 said:
Sounds daft but even as a non-smoker I miss the waft of smoke over the terrace.
My mam and dad never smoked in my lifetime but the smell of woodbines was one of my first memories of going to Blackburn matches with my dad.
The listening to the bloke with the transistor radio for other scores is spot on too.
Buying a football paper on saturday night for all the scores.
Moving at half time on the terraces to stand down by the end we were attacking.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... YOUR SHIT AHHH!

Noticed Fulham fans doing that last week as well.

My mam and dad never smoked in my lifetime but the smell of woodbines was one of my first memories of going to Blackburn matches with my dad.
The listening to the bloke with the transistor radio for other scores is spot on too.
Buying a football paper on saturday night for all the scores.
Moving at half time on the terraces to stand down by the end we were attacking.
When I used to go to Simonside Hall in Shields. We always stood behind the goal we were attacking and changed ends at half-time :lol:

The waft of tobacco smoke on a cold day drifting over the terraces.

Getting in early to get the atmosphere going.

That shop near Roker that used to stick the scores up on bits of paper after the match.

Cowboys from Whelans (?) near the New Derby.

Brenda's (RIP) Colliery Tavern pre match with the old boys watching the racing 'Ye bring back the points, we'll bring back the pints'.

Getting out of Sunderland in about 10 minutes post match.

Deciding on a Friday you were going to a random away match cos you had a tenner.

The novelty of away games in the rare seated stands like the upper tier at Bramall Lane.

Standing with your mates & being able to move to where the singers were or away from bell ends.

Denis Smith's Red & White Army

The Roker pie shop , and its little hatch on the side that opened for "big " games
Cowboy suppers and curried battered buns
SEEEEEATS !
The full time scores going up in The Programme shop!
That programme seller on the corner of Roker Avenue who would magically appear around the pitchside ,just after you got in the ground
The excitment of an away team being given the big end of the Roker
The smell of deep heat near the players entrance
Night games = fkn mint != chelsea cup ties !
That terrible scoreboard
The hottest bovril that was ever invented
Getting servred under age in the New Derby and The Cambridge
Going with me Dad rip , (who pretended he didnt give a fuck) and watching in amazement as he went mental when Hawleys screamer went in againsy Arsenal , when i was 6_7 yr old perched on me stool.....

Loads loads more very happy ( and sad) memories of that place , its never really gone in me head , only when i drive down Roker Baths Rd.

Floodlights definitely. In terraced grounds wiith lower stands you spotted the ground by its floodlights from the train or the car.

Worrying about the walk back to the station at away games.

This for me. The way football has become so sterile depresses me tbh. Buy a ticket,sit in your seat,don't shout,don't swear,sit down. The football in itself was so much more insignificant back then. It was all about the culture. Younguns these days will never understand.

Fuck me,I'm getting old.

I went to Bristol City in the 70's once -fell asleep pissed on the terraces at about 2.30 - got woken up at 4.40 to find we had been beaten 4-1 -- cracking day out :)

It's all relative really, my dad used to moan about football in the 70s saying it didn't compare with the 40s and 50s when he was young. He abhorred the hooliganism that was creeping in, in the late 60s early 70s, yet we look back on it with nostalgia. I seem to recall in the 60s and most of the 70s that a different team seemed to win the league each year and it wasn't the financial disaster that it is today not to finish in the top four or get relegated.

For me I started to get bored with football as far back as the late 70s early 80s when Liverpool started to dominate. For the whole of the 80s the league trophy only left Merseyside twice, 81 Villa and 89 Arsenal. Liverpool and Everton (twice) won it the other 8 times. Man Utds recent domination has been just as boring. How great would it be to see another Forest promoted then win the Prem the next season?

1. Getting there early to get a good position on the terraces in the Roker End then the Fulwell then the Clock Stand with my son
2. Going with mates
3. Having true heroes to worship like Charlie Hurley, Colin Todd, Bobby Kerr, Jim Baxter, Kevin Phillips, Niall Quinn
4. Dreaming I would once play for Sunderland
5. Always playing on Saturday afternoons at 3 o'clock
6. Being part of the atmosphere build up to kick off time

Absolutely. My old man took me to my first match, and he wasn't in the best of health - only went to a couple of games with him when I was a nipper. He's not here now, but I know how he would have viewed 'the modern game'.

Mines still here like only 55ish but he started missing games due to work then just stopped altogether, now I'm the dad taking his eldest son and the loads of times Ive had spare tickets going ive asked my dad to come but he won't I don't know why it's sad, for the Leeds game I wanted me my dad and my eldest and youngest sons all to go together but again he wasn't interested, sad n a shame but have some great n happy memories of me n my dad at roker

Mines still here like only 55ish but he started missing games due to work then just stopped altogether, now I'm the dad taking his eldest son and the loads of times Ive had spare tickets going ive asked my dad to come but he won't I don't know why it's sad, for the Leeds game I wanted me my dad and my eldest and youngest sons all to go together but again he wasn't interested, sad n a shame but have some great n happy memories of me n my dad at roker

Maybe one day again fella. But at least you can be safe knowing that you're 'Making Memories' for your lad. ('Making Memories' - Mrs Tomma's *no* latest buzz phrase for stuff we do as a family!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back