Things you miss about football since you first went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some of this might have been said by others but

2 and 6, or half a crown to get in (12 1/2p for those who can not remember old money)
Peanut sellers walking around the pitch and throwing money to him and him throwing the bag of nuts back.
Getting the Fulwell end 90 mins before the game to get a good spot high up behind the goal, in the cage.
Starting to sing an hour before the game.
being able to meet up with anybody you wanted as it was standing and you could move around.
As I got older the New Derby before the game
Getting the football special from Brady Square to the game.

And so much more.

Yes thinking £1 for the 1973 final was a lot of money!

I may be young but bright boots I mean orange, pink etc aren't boot colours. While I do have a older pair of pink ones, I much prefer black and white ones.

Announcing how many people were in the ground leading up to kick off..

"fifteen minutes until kick and there are currently 12,654 spectators in the ground"

Wolfie the window cleaner from Fulwell.
Or Triple H as my kids call him.

I'm sure it was him who bared his arse on the pitch at half time last game of the season in 1985.

He looked 55 then as he does now..

Aye franny diving lee for one

He was one of the first to start to con refs. Diving tw@t for sure but must have been a hard case, windmilling Norman Hunter.

There sure was, but it was not as rife as it is today. People used to hurdle tackles or run round opponents, rather than ensure there is contact and throw themselves to the floor.

It was a different ethos for me. There was more of a stigma attached to diving or cheating. I remember England playing Italy in the 1970s and the fans and commentators going mad over the rolling around on the ground from the Italians. Tame stuff compared to the current breed.

I am probably looking back through rose tinted glasses, but I don't care. I liked 1970s football, it's what I fell in love with. We were shite then too.

Not good early 70' s but Cup Winning team were far from shite. Not too shabby after 73 either. We have been a lot worse at times than the 70's.

Last edited:
Standing. Atmosphere building pre kick off, with most on the terraces in time to get a good spot. Chanting and a general buzz that wasn't drowned out by crap music blasting out like it now does both at the sol and all the other grounds

Oh and a more recent issue.... The ability to look at a clock during the game. whats up with our score board?? I don't want to sign up to the army!

Standing, a togetherness you felt, the surges forward (f&ckin dangerous at times) the daft chants, the characters who were part and parcel of the crowd, shocking catering and 'toilet facilities' but that was part of the fun!! Basically the experience at home was on a par with the experience you tend only to touch these days on some away trips.

Thats what I fell in love with. Thought I was the bees knees in the Fulwell as a teenager. Getting a bottle of Maxim bought in the Roker Vic as a young un. It tasted fowl, but you made on it was nectar. The excitement and danger of away games, it was micey at most aways then. No tickets, van full and on the drink at 7 in the morning. Holed up in boozer at 11 atmosphere in pub building then off to the game. Stop for a night out, chinese sleep on way back and up for football on Sunday morning. Happy happy days. I regret the generations of SAFC fans to come who can never experience Roker Park at its best.

It has completely taken away any of the enjoyment derived out of the anticipation and the feeling that a match was something special, an event to be looked forward to, to savour, that wasn't just the cheap throw away plastic import that it is now thats chewed up digestated and spat out quicker than you can say 'latest analysis'.

It's exactly the same as f***ing Christmas. I can't remember the last time I was able to look forward to something. You're not allowed to just imagine how good it will be, dream about what it will be like. Instead your force fed it all. And then instead of dwelling on what might have been after the event, you get told what might have been, shown what might have been, analysed what might have been on 24 hour rolling tweeting breaking news.

You can add snooker, tennis and cup final day as well. The world champioships used to be on once a year at the crucible, maybe a series of pot black, the tennis was wimbledon and football all day on cup final day. Starting with its a knockout all of these were highlights of most kids tele watching calendars.These events were a rare treat and eagerly looked forward to. Then they started to show more and more and the magic was gone. Its 24/7 wall to wall sport nowadays if you so desire. The anticipation has been eroded by massive overkill.

I went to Bristol City in the 70's once -fell asleep pissed on the terraces at about 2.30 - got woken up at 4.40 to find we had been beaten 4-1 -- cracking day out :)
:lol::lol:.
Me mate did the same down Swansea one year.

Deciding to go to an away match on a Friday night in the pub..."got a space in the car for Barnsley tomorrow, fancy it?"..."Aye gannon"

None of this tickets months in advance malarky, just turn up and pay in.
Done this a load of times. As a youngun part of the excitement for me of an away match was not knowing how many fans would turn up. I can honestly say i was never ever disappointed.

Last edited:
The waft of tobacco smoke on a cold day drifting over the terraces.

Getting in early to get the atmosphere going.

That shop near Roker that used to stick the scores up on bits of paper after the match.

Cowboys from Whelans (?) near the New Derby.

Brenda's (RIP) Colliery Tavern pre match with the old boys watching the racing 'Ye bring back the points, we'll bring back the pints'.

Getting out of Sunderland in about 10 minutes post match.

Deciding on a Friday you were going to a random away match cos you had a tenner.

The novelty of away games in the rare seated stands like the upper tier at Bramall Lane.

Standing with your mates & being able to move to where the singers were or away from bell ends.

Denis Smith's Red & White Army
Them cowboy meals
Filled you all day I remember that

Thats what I fell in love with. Thought I was the bees knees in the Fulwell as a teenager. Getting a bottle of Maxim bought in the Roker Vic as a young un. It tasted fowl, but you made on it was nectar. The excitement and danger of away games, it was micey at most aways then. No tickets, van full and on the drink at 7 in the morning. Holed up in boozer at 11 atmosphere in pub building then off to the game. Stop for a night out, chinese sleep on way back and up for football on Sunday morning. Happy happy days. I regret the generations of SAFC fans to come who can never experience Roker Park at its best.
:lol::lol:

Aye did that many times, wake up on Tennicks bus with your Friday night togs on.

happy days eh :)

:lol::lol:.
Me mate did the same down Swansea one year.

Done this a load of times. As a youngun part of the excitement for me of an away match was not knowing how many fans would turn up. I can honestly say i was never ever disappointed.

told this story before on here. I had the chance to go back to a lasses house on a Friday night from the County in Shields as her parents were away. Yep you guessed I went to Leyton Fuckin Orient on the midnight bus instead.
I saw her years later and she was stunning- blonde/tall/legs to die for/figure of a model etc
I have hated Leyton f***ing Orient ever since :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back