The Sir Bob Murray stand

Finished his book last night actually.

6/10.

Great at blowing his own trumpet n having ready made excuse for every fuckup. Was suprised how critial of Reidy has was tbf.
And was quite restrained in any criticism of Cowie.
However, Murray stepped in at the lowest point in the club's history and also had to contend with a decaying stadium and legal action from Batey and his mob.
As for the book itself - a decent enough read but nowt special.

He is the best Chairman in my life time (I am 66 in a couple of weeks, to put that into context). He was and remains a true fan, he did well with the resources he had, but time moved on and he knew he had to step aside to allow those with more money take over.
I've just finished his book. I had a very high opinion of him before I read it. Even higher now.

We were punching well above our weight when we were promoted with the exception of the (second) Peter Reid promotion and the Roy Keane promotion. All chairmen make mistakes and I think Murray's biggest mistake was allowing Reid autonomy on transfers, particularly those from outside the UK.

I'd have no problem whatsoever if a stand was named after him. I would fully support that. I don't think naming stadiums after people really works though. Maybe we could rename the River Wear after Quinny though......

Are there any owners Sunderland fans do like? :lol:
Nobody promising a period of a club living within its means, which arguably would be better for all clubs, would be winning a popularity contest compared to someone promising success spending money the club doesn't necessarily have.

That's the reason the big Spanish clubs are hundreds of millions in debt and chasing the next big payday with the super league idea.

Quinn will always be a popular choice, however Drumaville spent with Short clearing up a lot of their debts. Not that I'm a big fan of Short either mind 😂

Last edited:
Given Sir Bob's contribution to the club, the stadium, academy, beacon and foundation has there never been a call for a stand to be named after him. I think it would be a fitting tribute to name the West stand after him for everything he has done for our club
Couldn’t agree more.. totally appropriate

The Foundation of Light which is of course closely associated with SAFC will always be Bob's greatest and most lasting achievement. That's not to minimise his building of the SoL but that's just bricks and mortar and a bit of grass.

For all his downfalls and there were plenty, apart from the SOL, AOL, FOL etc he did preside the Peter Reid years. A couple of the best seasons over the last 30 years.

Back