The famous NME and their taking of the Fulwell

• Thread starter Andy Reids Love Chil
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
havent read the whole thread but the op stated they purchased 200 tickets for the fulwell..iirc it was always pay at the gate only in those days, even for derby games..if im wrong then apologies

havent read the whole thread but the op stated they purchased 200 tickets for the fulwell..iirc it was always pay at the gate only in those days, even for derby games..if im wrong then apologies

By 85 all ticket games were starting to become a regular feature, cant remember this one in particular like..

Logon or register to see this image
[/QUOTE]

I was there that day, as a young 12 year old. I was in the clockstand paddock, as the unwashed came past. It was raining coins and spit on them, they were all ducking for cover.

I also remember a steward coming along afterwards collecting the coins and pocketing them!!

By 85 all ticket games were starting to become a regular feature, cant remember this one in particular like..

It was all ticket, because I couldn't go and sold my ticket. To a chap from Byker as it happens.

Did anyone else hear that 'story' that Jimmy Nail was allegedly part of the so called 'Bender' crew ?? Strange nickname for a gang of 'hoods' like

Did anyone else hear that 'story' that Jimmy Nail was allegedly part of the so called 'Bender' crew ?? Strange nickname for a gang of 'hoods' like

it is cos they used to go on benders ie, drinking sessions.
Their call sign was "GOOCHI COO" for some reason.

soz but i was there n my memories were of a small chant going up of "united" over in the bottom right of the fullwell end, shut down in seconds - we all piled forward to get at the filthy bastards but the plod got in n saved their skins - next thing they were all moved to the front with coins n shit(PEANUTS) raining down on them while they escaped out and were put back in the unwashed.

fact

he talks about it in his autobiography. Never claims to be a main player, just someone who liked a drink and a bit argy bargy when he was young and daft.

I was there that day, as a young 12 year old. I was in the clockstand paddock, as the unwashed came past. It was raining coins and spit on them, they were all ducking for cover.

I also remember a steward coming along afterwards collecting the coins and pocketing them!![/QUOTE]

Aey if you take a good look at that photo the ones nearer the front had to take cover & alot of them ended up on the pitch to avoid the barrage of missiles from the clockstand lads . Deserved all of it.

A topic that is, ahem, particularly challenging for followers of either SAFC or NUFC supporter to comment on with any objectivity.

i was at the game, a dour 0-0 draw on easter Monday 1985. i was in the Mainstand seats, so looking down into the fulwell.

Recollection is:

They did make themselves known about 5 minutes into the game. They were surrounded by coppers fairly quickly. Was looking from a distance but there did appear to be some scuffling before they were surrounded.

The coppers actually pulled out 3 or 4 of them ahead of all others. These 3 or 4 were marched out along the cinder track next to the Clockstand and looked like they were then taken out of the ground (nicked? ringleaders?) through the gap between the Clockstand and the Roker End scoreboard.

The coppers then marched the rest of them (200ish probably right) back into the Roker End to much applause from their lot. They went past the clockstand and were getting hit with a shitload of missiles, and 1 or 2 actually went on the deck from them.

At that time, the Clockstand and Mainstand paddocks both had high fences up (these were up for 2 or 3 seasons in the mid 80's and then taken down, although curiously the ends were never fenced).

Had the clockstand not been fenced that day, may have been a tad livelier as my recollection is that our more volatile element tended to go in the clockstand paddock in that era.

The level of actual 'aggro' in the Fulwell seemed minimal, particularly compared to the free for all in the roker end the season after v Millwall when there were Darlo fans in the Roker End and it seemed to go off for several minutes big style before the coppers got a handle on it.

But for theatrical effect, I suppose you have to begrudgingly acknowledge the mags created a little 'scene' that day which they could seek to subsequently mythologise. Plus don't recall anyone else pulling a similar stunt so was conspicuous I suppose).

Another recollection of that day was that before kick off their lot in the Roker End were belting out "We love you Norwich, we do" (it being shortly after the Milk Cup final defeat), and one of the fuckers even holding aloft a yellow scarf!:lol: Not obsessed, like!

the only time ive ever witnessed 3 way segregation at a match. cops hoyed them in the empty bit next to the paddock if irc

I was there that day, I witnessed darts, coin, bricks/stones and steel balls from ballbearings thrown.

Incredibly brave stuff from a wonderful set of fans (not)

Indeed. An old boy next to me had his head split wide open by a brick some cowardly prick had hurled into the crowd. Over a hundred people were taken to hospital that day, darts, coins, bricks and hammers were just hurled into the crowd at random. Shame on them.

The problem with football violence is that both sets of fans will have different accounts of what happened.

Over time the stories get more and more fabricated

In 20 years time their will of been 10,000 of them in the fulwell, and they would of fought their way through the entire mainstand with their hands tied behind their backs, before solving world hunger and backflipping into the away end

Apologies if someone else has already picked up on this (I haven't got the time or inclination to read all the posts) but something that signals that this fuckwit is delude is that he suggests that they got the Metro to Sunderland in 1985. Surely that was impossible then?

To be perfectly honest, I've seen bigger fights between the townies and village lads than I saw that day ............ there was a big brawl during our match against Brighton and the 250 away fans must have wondered what the fuck was going on.

there was a brawl AT Brighton 78-79? when they came in our end, they soon got booted out literally, fair do's for trying mind..

there was a brawl AT Brighton 78-79? when they came in our end, they soon got booted out literally, fair do's for trying mind..

Yeah I was there and we were on the open side of the ground iirc.
There were more Sunderland than they'd expected and we had most of the end and half the side, I reckon, but Brighton seemed to take offence at that for some reason.

I thought it was funny mesel :-D

Apologies if someone else has already picked up on this (I haven't got the time or inclination to read all the posts) but something that signals that this fuckwit is delude is that he suggests that they got the Metro to Sunderland in 1985. Surely that was impossible then?

If you read it properly you would see that he says they got the Metro to South Shields.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back