The Apprentice 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

OK, now that's over can someone explain to me what crowdfunding is...

In my niaivety I assumed it was getting people to seed fund your business idea so you could bring it to production/market. Now Suralan tells me it's about getting people to give you £5 in return for £14.95 worth of kit. Huh? That seems like a fast track to bankruptcy.

Or am I missing something..?

OK, now that's over can someone explain to me what crowdfunding is...

In my niaivety I assumed it was getting people to seed fund your business idea so you could bring it to production/market. Now Suralan tells me it's about getting people to give you £5 in return for £14.95 worth of kit. Huh? That seems like a fast track to bankruptcy.

Or am I missing something..?

You get a load of early adopters / investors to give you cash up front for a concept product. To get funding in to allow you to move from concept to full production.

These people want something for putting their money in, so depending on what you offer them as an incentive, and yes it could be that you offer those who give you £5 up front a finished product that could be worth £14.95. However, you would hope that additional sales outside of the original crowd funding pot would keep you away from bankruptcy.

You get a load of early adopters / investors to give you cash up front for a concept product. To get funding in to allow you to move from concept to full production.

These people want something for putting their money in, so depending on what you offer them as an incentive, and yes it could be that you offer those who give you £5 up front a finished product that could be worth £14.95. However, you would hope that additional sales outside of the original crowd funding pot would keep you away from bankruptcy.

Also, of course, something that's retail priced at £14.95 will be manufactured for a lot, lot less.

So, I get it when you have a product to sell but what about when it's something less tangible - a film, an idea or a cause. How does it work then? For example, this mob that brought the Brexit challenge to the High Court. I read that they crowdfunded £170k towards their costs. What reward would they have been offering?

So, I get it when you have a product to sell but what about when it's something less tangible - a film, an idea or a cause. How does it work then? For example, this mob that brought the Brexit challenge to the High Court. I read that they crowdfunded £170k towards their costs. What reward would they have been offering?

Taking Brexit to the courts was the reward, basically one person wasn't willing to stump up the cash for the legal bill - get a crowd together to generate your funding and you take it to the courts on behalf of the crowd.

With a film it could be attending the premier or a free DVD copy when it is released, sometimes it can be a share of profit up to a maximum depending on what you put in.

It'll be stated what you can get out of it as part of the campaign.

An outcome that they want. Doesnt have to be a tangible product though here's a canny one of those:- https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-sinclair-zx-spectrum-vega-plus-console-games#/

Wouldnt be surprised if @Epping didnt hoy in a few quid there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back