stock market

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a hundred grand in a managed fund, in one year (July 15 to 16) it made a tad over 2.3k, it was like a fricking yo-yo, at one point i was down to a tad over 90k, and my arse was twitching. Pulled 50k into a fund with growth of around 6-7% per year on average. So I'm just going to leave them both for around 5y and see which is the winner, as such.
100k eh?

Hello billy big bollocks

I wouldn't put it in a pension as you've already paid tax on it and, subject to your retirement income, you could pay further tax on it. I'm not saying don't get a pension, you should as you get tax relief on your contributions and your employer will usually match or double the amount.

Keep your money in some other form of savings vehicle with the help of someone qualified.

If you're in for the long haul (over 5yrs) invest in something like Vanguard index funds via stocks and shares ISA.
Historically they beat most brokers, but don't expect quick returns.
I have 6 different funds and over the last year they range between 2 and 20 % up.

If you are new to it, have a look at value investing. The guy on dividendmantra (google it) is the fella I learned a lot from. He looks at stocks and try's to find sure things based on Ben Graham's book (the intelligent investor) following a similar style to warren Buffett.

I started by identifying shares using a dividend discount model and then "bought" them by putting them into google finance portfolio. That way I was able to track the prices and dividends I was "getting". Tried that for a year and made a paper profit of 18%, so I opened a stocks and shares isa with Hargreaves and used real money. Looking at 25% return after 2.5 years now. The dividend cash gets held on account and I reinvest that once it gets to a decent amount. Dabbled a bit with AIM specifically SXX, but I am young enough to tolerate a bit of risk. The steadiest performers for me have been unilever, Swiss re, shell, aviva, stobarts, and Lloyds. Have tried to pick solid performers in a variety of sectors to help keep things balanced.

Best of luck if you go down the self investment route. If you do, I don't think Hargreaves is the cheapest way anymore so, check on Money Saving Expert.

If you are new to it, have a look at value investing. The guy on dividendmantra (google it) is the fella I learned a lot from. He looks at stocks and try's to find sure things based on Ben Graham's book (the intelligent investor) following a similar style to warren Buffett.

I started by identifying shares using a dividend discount model and then "bought" them by putting them into google finance portfolio. That way I was able to track the prices and dividends I was "getting". Tried that for a year and made a paper profit of 18%, so I opened a stocks and shares isa with Hargreaves and used real money. Looking at 25% return after 2.5 years now. The dividend cash gets held on account and I reinvest that once it gets to a decent amount. Dabbled a bit with AIM specifically SXX, but I am young enough to tolerate a bit of risk. The steadiest performers for me have been unilever, Swiss re, shell, aviva, stobarts, and Lloyds. Have tried to pick solid performers in a variety of sectors to help keep things balanced.

Best of luck if you go down the self investment route. If you do, I don't think Hargreaves is the cheapest way anymore so, check on Money Saving Expert.

Warren Buffett — 'Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful'

Can often dip in and out of companies following Buffett's mantra. The recent Brexit vote was another prime example of this. The markets were going up in the few days before the vote as the traders were being greedy in the believe than the Remain vote was going to come through. I sold every share I had a few days before the vote as decided being greedy at that point was not a good idea.

Bought back a lot more shares for the same amount of money just a week or two later and most have recovered quite significantly already.

What would you consider a half decent amount?
north of 6 figures. and are you conservative or aggressive? if you're gonna stick to blue chip over long periods of time then might be worth doing it yourself. on the other hand, if you're gonna trade frequently and go for riskier choices then a broker may be a better call.

if its just 5 grand here and there then DIY.

The stock market is a very easy way to lose a lot of money if you don't know what you're doing. From this OP - no offense - you're not going to be able to handle directly investing on your own. And from what I gather of your situation, the stock market sounds like a bad idea. Stocks are an upside gamble using money you won't absolutely need, not a way to magically transform insufficient money into a pile of cash. Yes, in the long run returns have been good, but there have been many short-run crashes that could really screw someone in your position. There are ways to increase yields above savings-account levels without putting your principal at nearly as much risk as in the stock market.

I attended a retirement course and a presentation was given showing that stocks and shares were by the best investment as opposed to property, bonds, banks.

After I paid of all debts including mortgage car loans I had a bit to spare. We decided to split it in half, with hsbc and nationwide. That was split in half again, half as to my leanings, half as to the wife's. We would not have a Scooby, so left it to the big boys. In meantime saw two massive crashes and now coming up to five and a half years. Wife's investments are now about forty percent above initial investment money of mine is about fifty percentabove. T he other one is better as I've been adding to it every month. And is showing a healthy profit. My fear now is when do I pull the plug.I am coming to the stage where it should be soon and I am looking for the ftse to be about six eightht hundred. Don't know if that is too optimistic. Somebody on hee advised me, never to be ashamed to take a profit. Hopefully that's what I will do

Anyone invested in the stock market? Got some savings but the rates are terrible at the moment and i'm looking for a better return on my money . Got no pension so thinking this could be a good way to build on what I have.

I am a financial adviser mate if you need any help. Just PM me.

I attended a retirement course and a presentation was given showing that stocks and shares were by the best investment as opposed to property, bonds, banks.

After I paid of all debts including mortgage car loans I had a bit to spare. We decided to split it in half, with hsbc and nationwide. That was split in half again, half as to my leanings, half as to the wife's. We would not have a Scooby, so left it to the big boys. In meantime saw two massive crashes and now coming up to five and a half years. Wife's investments are now about forty percent above initial investment money of mine is about fifty percentabove. T he other one is better as I've been adding to it every month. And is showing a healthy profit. My fear now is when do I pull the plug.I am coming to the stage where it should be soon and I am looking for the ftse to be about six eightht hundred. Don't know if that is too optimistic. Somebody on hee advised me, never to be ashamed to take a profit. Hopefully that's what I will do

Over the long term, the returns on stocks have historically been the highest. That doesn't mean that investing in stocks is the right choice for an unsophisticated investor who can't afford a significant reduction in his initial capital. I've got plenty of money in stocks myself, but I'm also nowhere near retirement age and have enough assets outside of stocks that the bottom could fall out of the market and take 5-10 years to recover and it wouldn't cause me significant hardship. It's all about context. The risk calculus changes a lot depending on how old you are and how rich you are.

Over the long term, the returns on stocks have historically been the highest. That doesn't mean that investing in stocks is the right choice for an unsophisticated investor who can't afford a significant reduction in his initial capital. I've got plenty of money in stocks myself, but I'm also nowhere near retirement age and have enough assets outside of stocks that the bottom could fall out of the market and take 5-10 years to recover and it wouldn't cause me significant hardship. It's all about context. The risk calculus changes a lot depending on how old you are and how rich you are.
Totally agree. If we didn't have the mindset of not touching or needing the money, we would have been ready to jump of abridge due to massive drops. Also want to point out, that it's no good pretending that you know what the market is about when you don't. I don't so had to pay a professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back