stock market

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungry mouse

Central Defender
Anyone invested in the stock market? Got some savings but the rates are terrible at the moment and i'm looking for a better return on my money . Got no pension so thinking this could be a good way to build on what I have.

Anyone invested in the stock market? Got some savings but the rates are terrible at the moment and i'm looking for a better return on my money . Got no pension so thinking this could be a good way to build on what I have.

The stock market is a very easy way to lose a lot of money if you don't know what you're doing. From this OP - no offense - you're not going to be able to handle directly investing on your own. And from what I gather of your situation, the stock market sounds like a bad idea. Stocks are an upside gamble using money you won't absolutely need, not a way to magically transform insufficient money into a pile of cash. Yes, in the long run returns have been good, but there have been many short-run crashes that could really screw someone in your position. There are ways to increase yields above savings-account levels without putting your principal at nearly as much risk as in the stock market.

The stock market is a very easy way to lose a lot of money if you don't know what you're doing. From this OP - no offense - you're not going to be able to handle directly investing on your own. And from what I gather of your situation, the stock market sounds like a bad idea. Stocks are an upside gamble using money you won't absolutely need, not a way to magically transform insufficient money into a pile of cash. Yes, in the long run returns have been good, but there have been many short-run crashes that could really screw someone in your position. There are ways to increase yields above savings-account levels without putting your principal at nearly as much risk as in the stock market.
sounds like good advice thanks , wouldn't know where to start really just been mulling it over for a wile

I used hargreaves lansdown to reinvest a cash ISA that was doing nowt.
Maybe beginners luck, but my investment is currently 8% up since I started dabbling 6 months ago.
plenty advice on their website.

Spot on. If you don't know what you are doing, pay someone to do it. Or be prepared to lose it

I'm losing

Is this anything like Crook market? If so you can get 12 packets of Roysters T-Bone steak for £1 and a six pack of Coke (with Muslim writing on it) for £2

I had a hundred grand in a managed fund, in one year (July 15 to 16) it made a tad over 2.3k, it was like a fricking yo-yo, at one point i was down to a tad over 90k, and my arse was twitching. Pulled 50k into a fund with growth of around 6-7% per year on average. So I'm just going to leave them both for around 5y and see which is the winner, as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back