State Of Play 23/24 Part IIII January Window

For whatever reason they appear to not to see it like we do so its daft to hold them account to something they aren't doing, if you know what I mean.

Why would spending more / losing more be better? What an odd opinion to hold.

Well, it's not daft if everyone else can see that there's a big hole in the middle of the park.

Unfortunately, DCM's come at a price these days, and I suspect that's the main reason we've not signed one over anything else.

We've 4 of them already, 5 if you count Jobe. Regardless of your opinion of them, thats how we've spent our money and it would be rediculous to just stock pile players.

Also I think your point would hold more weight had they played a lot more and we created chances for them, plus not allowing time to acclimatise, I mean just how much money do you figure we'd have to spend on one and exactly how good would they be?
How about sending Hemir out on loan. That frees up a place.

As for spending money - it’s not that radical. Other clubs seem to do it without the entire structure imploding. You never know if they do it we might find a forward who is actually competent at his job !

As for spending money - it’s not that radical. Other clubs seem to do it without the entire structure imploding. You never know if they do it we might find a forward who is actually competent at his job !
be prepared for the incoming - FFP Rules, do you want the club to go bust, look at Reading, who do you want Grigg, better value in the summer, dont want to waste our budget, etc etc

be prepared for the incoming - FFP Rules, do you want the club to go bust, look at Reading, who do you want Grigg, better value in the summer, dont want to waste our budget, etc etc

There’s definitely a fair number suffer from some bizarre post traumatic Will Grigg thing.
Every time it’s suggested the club pay the going rate for an established player they go into complete meltdown.

Well, it's not daft if everyone else can see that there's a big hole in the middle of the park.

Unfortunately, DCM's come at a price these days, and I suspect that's the main reason we've not signed one over anything else.

I dont expect them to be of the same mind as the majority, I'd hope they were constantly at odds over a lot of things to be fair.

If they manage to get Hemir somewhere and send Burstow back, fine, there's a place there. Weve spent money, silly to suggest we haven't. 2.5m on a chap who appears to be starting to settle, for a start, but no, we need something yesterday.
There’s definitely a fair number suffer from some bizarre post traumatic Will Grigg thing.
Every time it’s suggested the club pay the going rate for an established player they go into complete meltdown.

I imagine it gets used as it's just a beautiful example of highlighting issues, it's got everything, short-termism, ambition, flexing cash, experienced striker, everything that so commonly gets called for on here. I'm sure those who call for it don't like it being cited, however.

Last edited:
I dont expect them to be of the same mind as the majority, I'd hope they were constantly at odds over a lot of things to be fair.

If they manage to get Hemir somewhere and send Burstow back, fine, there's a place there. Weve spent money, silly to suggest we haven't. 2.5m on a chap who appears to be starting to settle, for a start, but no, we need something yesterday.

I imagine it gets used as it's just a beautiful example of highlighting issues, it's got everything, short-termism, ambition, flexing cash, experienced striker, everything that so commonly gets called for on here. I'm sure those who call for it don't like it being cited, however.

Seems he’s starting to settle ! He’s scored one goal!

Yes it’s one example. There are countless examples of clubs who have identified a good player, bought him for a fair price and he’s gone on to make a significant impact for that club.

Just because there’s some reckless drivers about do you ever use the roads?

Only thing they can be at odds with is the cost of players when it's blatantly obvious that neither Neil or Ekwah are the answer to the hole that needs filling ever since Evans has been out.

Seems he’s starting to settle ! He’s scored one goal!

Yes it’s one example. There are countless examples of clubs who have identified a good player, bought him for a fair price and he’s gone on to make a significant impact for that club.

Just because there’s some reckless drivers about do you ever use the roads?

Ok great, provide the examples of the last 18 months of strikers within our budget that have gone on to be brilliant and I'll say, yea we should have signed them but it isn't the end of the world, we won't be perfect.

The analogy isn't a very good one. If we need to use it, it would be more akin to me driving under the speed limit as opposed to not driving. We've spent more than most in this division since we've been here.
Only thing they can be at odds with is the cost of players when it's blatantly obvious that neither Neil or Ekwah are the answer to the hole that needs filling ever since Evans has been out.

I disagree, they have been at odds with what I believed was the best way to go about things from the start and have been very successful in doing it. They bought and kept on attacking midfielders, not a choice I would have gone with but it's pointless banging your head against the wall for a CDM when they don't play a formation to use one and have a surplus in the position that would become redundant.

Last edited:
Ok great, provide the examples of the last 18 months of strikers within our budget that have gone on to be brilliant and I'll say, yea we should have signed them but it isn't the end of the world, we won't be perfect.

The analogy isn't a very good one. If we need to use it, it would be more akin to me driving under the speed limit as opposed to not driving. We've spent more than most in this division since we've been here.

I didn’t use the word ‘brilliant’. Competent was my word, which in itself is a marked improvement on what we’ve got currently.

Using your analogy you’d be doing 20mph on a 70mph road.

As for spending more than most since we’ve been back in this division I’d like to know what evidence you base that on ?

A quick google has us in 13th place on spending in this league in the last two seasons.

I disagree, they have been at odds with what I believed was the best way to go about things from the start and have been very successful in doing it. They bought and kept on attacking midfielders, not a choice I would have gone with but it's pointless banging your head against the wall for a CDM when they don't play a formation to use one and have a surplus in the position that would become redundant.

Ah well, best to just not have an opinion and let them get on with it then.

Well done for conforming mate, but I'll keep banging the drum on one or two experienced first team players, in vital roles.

I didn’t use the word ‘brilliant’. Competent was my word, which in itself is a marked improvement on what we’ve got currently.

Using your analogy you’d be doing 20mph on a 70mph road.

As for spending more than most since we’ve been back in this division I’d like to know what evidence you base that on ?

A quick google has us in 13th place on spending in this league in the last two seasons.

Ok, the competent (in your opinion) ones.

Really wouldn't be doing 20, losing what we do per season isn't an unsafe manner of driving, at least not on the slower scale.

Using that, I think we've spent more than 16 clubs, last season I think we were in the top 6 or so?

Well done for conforming mate, but I'll keep banging the drum on one or two experienced first team players, in vital roles.

I’m 100% with you.

It looks like we’ve targeted another two young, inexperienced players in two of the four areas we were targeting.

I’m really hoping that the CDM and striker are the players with some grey in their hair Beale asked for.
Ok, the competent (in your opinion) ones.

Really wouldn't be doing 20, losing what we do per season isn't an unsafe manner of driving, at least not on the slower scale.

Using that, I think we've spent more than 16 clubs, last season I think we were in the top 6 or so?
I used the same site and got this result for the period 22/23 - 23/24.

Has us 13th !

Stats eh?

Last edited:

Geez.

Hang about, you're allowed to have an opinion but I can't?

As for banging a drum, don't pat yourself on the back too hard, I was asking for a cdm a long time before it became the latest go-to for having a whinge and it made not one iota of differnce. I don't conform, I set trends and then I bounce.

Logon or register to see this image

I’m 100% with you.

It looks like we’ve targeted another two young, inexperienced players in two of the four areas we were targeting.

I’m really hoping that the CDM and striker are the players with some grey in their hair Beale asked for.

Tbh, I've long given up on a striker with them saying Jobe is one now. They just won't pay the money unless a favourable loan deal comes about.

For me, a DCM would transform this side. I like both Neil and Ekwah, but playing them in that role take so much away from both their games, but this board just seem to want to piss about with kids that they can flog on for a few quid here and there. I mean look at all the summer signings, there only Jobe made any impact and that's because they want him in the shop window ASAP.

I seriously don't mind us having a go at signing these kids, but you've got to have a bit of experience to go alongside them if we're actually are wanting to compete for a playoff spot.
Geez.

Hang about, you're allowed to have an opinion but I can't?

As for banging a drum, don't pat yourself on the back too hard, I was asking for a cdm a long time before it became the latest go-to for having a whinge and it made not one iota of differnce. I don't conform, I set trends and then I bounce.

Logon or register to see this image

Sounds like you've started to bend over and take it mate.

Nevermind.

Last edited:
Tbh, I've long given up on a striker with them saying Jobe is one now. They just won't pay the money unless a favourable loan deal comes about.

For me, a DCM would transform this side. I like both Neil and Ekwah, but playing them in taht role take so much away from both their games, but this board just seem to want to piss about with kids that they can flog on for a few quid here and there. I mean look at all the summer signings, there only Jobe made any impact and that's because they want him in the shop window ASAP.

I seriously don't mind us having a go at signing these kids, but you've got to have a bot of experience to go alongside them if we're actually are wanting to compete for a playoff spot.
I think your last sentence gets to the nub.

Nobody can convince me they’re seriously interested in promotion this season.

If, like last season it falls in our lap we’ll take it but this year imo is all about building the club, getting players another years experience of championship football but most importantly of all increasing the value of the playing squad.

Promotion is something way down the line

I think your last sentence gets to the nub.

Nobody can convince me they’re seriously interested in promotion this season.

If, like last season it falls in our lap we’ll take it but this year imo is all about building the club, getting players another years experience of championship football but most importantly of all increasing the value of the playing squad.

Promotion is something way down the line

At least the U23's will be well stocked with new signings whilst the first team rely on Jack Clarke football until he's sold in the summer before the board scratch our heads at what to do next.

I'll still keep my fingers crossed until the window shuts.

How about just adequate?

Will Keane cost a fraction of what our strikers cost and is both functional and a goalscorer at this level and would give a physical presence, edge and nuisance level we just haven't had. Might not seem very progressive or very long term and I know some will say it would limit chances for our strikers (which ignores we've played half a season without one anyway) but it would actually give us a functional striker whilst ours settle.

Do I rate him - not really.

Do I rate or does anyone rate any of ours? Not really. Sure some will go to great lengths to try and justify our strikers and see the good in them, exonerate them as they don't get this service or that, but the truth is they're just not very good at the moment as a bunch.

Putting Will Keane aside for a moment we're crying out for an actual Ross Stewart replacement. There are too many areas in the side and squad already which is made up of inexperienced players whose consistency isn't quite there yet. Having a striker up front of some quality might help negate that and help them along and get us the odd few scruffy wins now and again.

Or we could persist with Burstow now - but what's the point of loans like this if they aren't adding quality? I thought we done the hard yards with the likes of Doyle to show we could handle young talent and get loans like Amad. It seems Amad was just a one off and a freak though.

Last edited:

Back