State Of Play 23/24 Part IIII January Window

Taylor, Johnson, Matete and Embleton won't play for us this season. And in all likelihood won't play for us again.

We're desperate for a winger and a defensive minder central midfielder more than anywhere else on the pitch imo. Hopefully Amad clears up the winger problem. Club won't buy or even loan a CDM imo
I could see Matete getting back in, but it’s a long shot. CDM most important area of the pitch for me looking at that current squad.

How about just adequate?

Will Keane cost a fraction of what our strikers cost and is both functional and a goalscorer at this level and would give a physical presence, edge and nuisance level we just haven't had. Might not seem very progressive or very long term and I know some will say it would limit chances for our strikers (which ignores we've played half a season without one anyway) but it would actually give us a functional striker whilst ours settle.

Do I rate him - not really.

Do I rate or does anyone rate any of ours? Not really. Sure some will go to great lengths to try and justify our strikers and see the good in them, exonerate them as they don't get this service or that, but the truth is they're just not very good at the moment as a bunch.

Putting Will Keane aside for a moment we're crying out for an actual Ross Stewart replacement. There are too many areas in the side and squad already which is made up of inexperienced players whose consistency isn't quite there yet. Having a striker up front of some quality might help negate that and help them along and get us the odd few scruffy wins now and again.

Or we could persist with Burstow now - but what's the point of loans like this if they aren't adding quality? I thought we din the hard yards with the likes of Doyle to show we could handle young talent and get loans like Amad. It seems Amad was just a one off and a freak though.

Funny you should mention Will Keane as I suggested him instead of Danny Graham and got laughed off the board, but that was then, I'd suggest signing him now would be a serious lack of ambition, not so much financially but of thought, we know his ceiling, all the ones we've bought are done so on the basis that we believe their potential is far greater. Is it better to get someone in like that instead of potential, I'd never say yes as my preference has always been long-term.

As for a Ross Stewart replacement, he was a statistical anomaly in this division, like insane, I think it's highly unlikely that we get someone as good as him straight off the bat with the finances we're using.

The inexperience and consistency I'd argue are the same position as the Will Keane one above, do we want consistency with a low ceiling or to be ambitious with our set-up and belief, I'd always rather a Jobe or a Ba than Pritchard or a Dack.

I don't get the Burstow loan or why we are persisting, appears counterproductive to me and I'd hope he was brought in to appease former coach and a contract stipulates we can't send him home? I agree on the hard yards, I had assumed we would get someone special in on loan.

Funny you should mention Will Keane as I suggested him instead of Danny Graham and got laughed off the board, but that was then, I'd suggest signing him now would be a serious lack of ambition, not so much financially but of thought, we know his ceiling, all the ones we've bought are done so on the basis that we believe their potential is far greater. Is it better to get someone in like that instead of potential, I'd never say yes as my preference has always been long-term.

As for a Ross Stewart replacement, he was a statistical anomaly in this division, like insane, I think it's highly unlikely that we get someone as good as him straight off the bat with the finances we're using.

The inexperience and consistency I'd argue are the same position as the Will Keane one above, do we want consistency with a low ceiling or to be ambitious with our set-up and belief, I'd always rather a Jobe or a Ba than Pritchard or a Dack.

I don't get the Burstow loan or why we are persisting, appears counterproductive to me and I'd hope he was brought in to appease former coach and a contract stipulates we can't send him home? I agree on the hard yards, I had assumed we would get someone special in on loan.

I get the argument for a higher ceiling/potential and showing more long term vision but it has to be realised and I don't think we're going to see any great team progression continued if most of the players we are signing all fit the 'potential' bracket and they are so far away when they arrive as they've been in most cases since last summer. Unless of course we step it up with choice signings of the ilk of Ballard and Clarke, the likes of whom will probably have to be sold before most of those with 'potential' have actually made their mark.

Maybe we can't afford another Ross Stewart, but as youve mentioned with a defensive midfielder before I think a proper centre forward and a defensive midfielder wouldn't simply get in the way of young players progression as many have said, but rather aid it with experience, ability and know how.

I mean I don't really want Will Keane. But when you actually look at his record at League One and Championship since hes been at Wigan and Preston, I would think it unlikely the likes of Rusyn or Hemir, Mayenda are going to better it given their tallies in the Ukranian league, Portuguese liga 2 etc. We're assuming these lads have potential and yet are dismissing a lad brought up at Man United, who played there briefly and has also played international football. I think we're maybe kidding ourselves or being kidded with how much potential some of these players really have.

I get the argument for a higher ceiling/potential and showing more long term vision but it has to be realised and I don't think we're going to see any great team progression continued if most of the players we are signing all fit the 'potential' bracket and they are so far away when they arrive as they've been in most cases since last summer. Unless of course we step it up with choice signings of the ilk of Ballard and Clarke, the likes of whom will probably have to be sold before most of those with 'potential' have actually made their mark.

Maybe we can't afford another Ross Stewart, but as youve mentioned with a defensive midfielder before I think a proper centre forward and a defensive midfielder wouldn't simply get in the way of young players progression as many have said, but rather aid it with experience, ability and know how.

I mean I don't really want Will Keane. But when you actually look at his record at League One and Championship since hes been at Wigan and Preston, I would think it unlikely the likes of Rusyn or Hemir, Mayenda are going to better it given their tallies in the Ukranian league, Portuguese liga 2 etc. We're assuming these lads have potential and yet are dismissing a lad brought up at Man United, who played there briefly and has also played international football. I think we're maybe kidding ourselves or being kidded with how much potential some of these players really have.

I get what you're saying and I'm not against experience at all, for example, I think M'vila would plug every gap we have in many ways but it always resorts to creating value. I don't think you need to add experience for the sake of it but would someone like Yann help with the realisation of potential over the group, I think so, whereas your standard lower half championship player (Keane, Pritch & Dack) wouldn't, I'd prefer to realise the potential through another first team position being open for games. Again, I'd have no problem If it were a few spots and this was factored in before having a surplus in a specific position, Kieefer Moore at the start of the season before signing 4 players for that spot, great, now, not so much.

As for the potential of the players, I agree it's based on trust, for me, given what they done so far, they have mine in being able to spot a player, If you don't trust them or there picks, I can see why it would be frustrating.

I get what you're saying and I'm not against experience at all, for example, I think M'vila would plug every gap we have in many ways but it always resorts to creating value. I don't think you need to add experience for the sake of it but would someone like Yann help with the realisation of potential over the group, I think so, whereas your standard lower half championship player (Keane, Pritch & Dack) wouldn't, I'd prefer to realise the potential through another first team position being open for games. Again, I'd have no problem If it were a few spots and this was factored in before having a surplus in a specific position, Kieefer Moore at the start of the season before signing 4 players for that spot, great, now, not so much.

As for the potential of the players, I agree it's based on trust, for me, given what they done so far, they have mine in being able to spot a player, If you don't trust them or there picks, I can see why it would be frustrating.
I think Kiefer Moore alongside Rusyn could work, and only help Rusyn

Play two forwards and you would have to scrap the high wingers I imagine, we certainly don't have 2 defensive midfielders to cover, and even if we did it leaves Clarke and Roberts out of position. I'm sure he could learn a thing or two in training, I just believe he'd learn more on the pitch every Saturday. Reportedly he was costly, I don't think we can afford to sack him off for another 6 months, have to get some value out of him. 5 or 6 forwards for a singular spot would be negligent, imo.

I'd probably prefer a Moore type than a Rusyn up top to create for the wide lads but again, we've already invested in a lad in that mould.

Maybe when Clarke gets sold tomorrow we could play Rusyn on the left.

One thing you can rely on with Speakman, unless its bang on with Amad, is that anyone who does come in will be:

1. Cheap
2. No fee involved
3. No one will have heard of.
4. Injury Prone,
5. Not to take a position we really need players for.
The left back isn’t cheap really, I’d heard of him on loan at Rotherham, doesn’t appear injury prone but time will tell, definitely a position that needed addressing despite having a few left backs already on the books.
Mundle won’t be cheap, has a fee attached, waa discussed in summer as a target, highly rated and in a position where we are short despite the misconception that we only sign wingers.

Play two forwards and you would have to scrap the high wingers I imagine, we certainly don't have 2 defensive midfielders to cover, and even if we did it leaves Clarke and Roberts out of position. I'm sure he could learn a thing or two in training, I just believe he'd learn more on the pitch every Saturday. Reportedly he was costly, I don't think we can afford to sack him off for another 6 months, have to get some value out of him. 5 or 6 forwards for a singular spot would be negligent, imo.

I'd probably prefer a Moore type than a Rusyn up top to create for the wide lads but again, we've already invested in a lad in that mould.

Tinker 😂

I think he'd be ideal at this level and for us. A permanent deal would be massively expensive on wages alone and he's got a history of injuries so I can see why the club would be reluctant and they'd have competition anyway, so I doubt they could actually make it happen.

We shouldn't dismiss everyone as they're over 25/26 though, which we seem to be doing now

Agree with most of that or even the general feeling of it, though I think you're being harsh on Pritchard - it was the likes of him, his experience and quality and not least work ethic (don't think he's been lower half champ much in his career really) that helped us out of L1 (slight contradiction by me there but I'll go with it) and helped establish us in the top half last season and he's helped us this season too when not wanted by the club, whatever we think of the eventual outcome last week.

Keiffer Moore is likely neither here nor there for the club because of overall price of any deal and also his age. For me whether it was start of season or now it makes no difference, because whilst they spent what they have on three strikers and that will obviously limit funds, two of those arent ready and might benefit from a loan anyway and if anything we've seen during this season (more than we were aware of at the start) that we're almost as much in need of a striker as we were. I doubt given how the last two transfer windows have panned out (and this one so far) its even on the cards anyway.

Its not so much I don't trust them to spot a player. I just think signing players is always a risk and it becomes increasingly difficult to mitigate that risk the lower and the further afield you sign them from, especially given the lack of first team games and experience by many of them as there's an awful lot of adjusting to do. If they're going into the younger age groups then there's less pressure and less urgency to get them in, but many are 18, 19, 20 onwards and expected to be in or around the first team quite quickly.

Maybe that's the long term thinking and why we pursued him as we did, given how much interest there was in Clarke during the summer.

I don't hold too much hope of retaining Clarke past the summer anyway and im resigned to it within the next six months regardless. though I think after the last month or so it would be a massive kick in the teeth.

Last edited:
Agree with most of that or even the general feeling of it, though I think you're being harsh on Pritchard - it was the likes of him, his experience and quality and not least work ethic (don't think he's been lower half champ much in his career really) that helped us out of L1 (slight contradiction by me there but I'll go with it) and helped establish us in the top half last season and he's helped us this season too when not wanted by the club, whatever we think of the eventual outcome last week.

Keiffer Moore is likely neither here nor there for the club because of overall price of any deal and also his age. For me whether it was start of season or now it makes no difference, because whilst they spent what they have on three strikers and that will obviously limit funds, two of those arent ready and might benefit from a loan anyway and if anything we've seen during this season (more than we were aware of at the start) that we're almost as much in need of a striker as we were. I doubt given how the last two transfer windows have panned out (and this one so far) its even on the cards anyway.

Its not so much I don't trust them to spot a player. I just think signing players is always a risk and it becomes increasingly difficult to mitigate that risk the lower and the further afield you sign them from, especially given the lack of first team games and experience by many of them as there's an awful lot of adjusting to do. If they're going into the younger age groups then there's less pressure and less urgency to get them in, but many are 18, 19, 20 onwards and expected to be in or around the first team quite quickly.

Maybe that's the long term thinking and why we pursued him as we did, given how much interest there was in Clarke during the summer.

I don't hold too much hope of retaining Clarke past the summer anyway and im resigned to it within the next six months regardless. though I think after the last month or so it would be a massive kick in the teeth.

I probably am being harsh on Pritchard but he grates on me the same way McGeady did, always has. Great signing for League One, no doubt.

Possibly a good path for two of the forwards is a loan, I just don't feel as if we are financially in the right place to be able to sign these players for proper money only to loan them out. Moore would be really expensive and tie that position for the contract length.

Entirely agree with the risk in every transfer but believe the youthful aspect of it massively mitigates the risk, buy a Yates, Moore or co and it doesn't work out, your wiggle room has gone, buy a Morgan Rodgers and it doesn't even need to go brilliantly to have a large impact.

Given we're signing Mundle, I wouldn't be surprised to see movement on Clarke sooner rather than later.

I would say we have 2 senior strikers - Rusyn and Burstow, and he is an on-loan kid. Hemir and Mayenda are U-21s with very limited first team experience. Just because we paid money for them, doesn't mean they aren't development players. If they are ready and firing great, but they aren't.

As we only have 2 senior strikers, and one of them is an on-loan kid, who hasn't shown much, I would suggest we need one more experienced striker - preferably a target man type.

How about just adequate?

Will Keane cost a fraction of what our strikers cost and is both functional and a goalscorer at this level and would give a physical presence, edge and nuisance level we just haven't had. Might not seem very progressive or very long term and I know some will say it would limit chances for our strikers (which ignores we've played half a season without one anyway) but it would actually give us a functional striker whilst ours settle.

Do I rate him - not really.

Do I rate or does anyone rate any of ours? Not really. Sure some will go to great lengths to try and justify our strikers and see the good in them, exonerate them as they don't get this service or that, but the truth is they're just not very good at the moment as a bunch.

Putting Will Keane aside for a moment we're crying out for an actual Ross Stewart replacement. There are too many areas in the side and squad already which is made up of inexperienced players whose consistency isn't quite there yet. Having a striker up front of some quality might help negate that and help them along and get us the odd few scruffy wins now and again.

Or we could persist with Burstow now - but what's the point of loans like this if they aren't adding quality? I thought we done the hard yards with the likes of Doyle to show we could handle young talent and get loans like Amad. It seems Amad was just a one off and a freak though.
I’ve had similar exchanges of opinion on here and suggested Keane, Yates, Nisbet. Yes they aren’t world beaters but if we’re looking for progression I’d back any of them have been more use to the side this season than any of the four we brought in.

Back