Sam Byram Sunderland bound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exact contract terms needed, including boot deal
Hi-tech flip overs. He's getting a pad down Roker Marina with a balcony. He has demanded a Superman bedspread. He is getting Phil Bardsleys old Datsun Sunny with his name on the side. He will get every Thursday off as he races his pigeons. I almost forgot the Nando's card aswell.

So simple we've been unable to do it in 8 years. When players stop seeing a move to Sunderland as a difficult move and one just as likely to torpedo your reputation as enhance it then we will struggle to attract players here who can make a difference.

Because the clubs ambition hasn't matched that of the players they want to sign.

Because the clubs ambition hasn't matched that of the players they want to sign.

I don't think it's that either......we've spent consistently since we came back up and a lot more than some clubs of similar standing. First of all any player who signs for us has a relegation clause in their wages and seeing as we are normally always hovering around a relegation slot players may just factor that in. Secondly the ridiculous turnover in managers and styles of play means players have no idea of what they'll get if they come here.....Fletcher and Johnson have had four full time managers since they came here.......Cattermole, Wickham, Larsson, O'Shea and Brown five. Even Defoe is on his second.

It's going to be a long haul to rehabilitate our reputation and I'm hoping that Advocaat will stay as a consultant after his year coaching to implement the changes needed.

I don't think it's that either......we've spent consistently since we came back up and a lot more than some clubs of similar standing. First of all any player who signs for us has a relegation clause in their wages and seeing as we are normally always hovering around a relegation slot players may just factor that in. Secondly the ridiculous turnover in managers and styles of play means players have no idea of what they'll get if they come here.....Fletcher and Johnson have had four full time managers since they came here.......Cattermole, Wickham, Larsson, O'Shea and Brown five. Even Defoe is on his second.

It's going to be a long haul to rehabilitate our reputation and I'm hoping that Advocaat will stay as a consultant after his year coaching to implement the changes needed.

Good shout

Totally disagree.

We haven't backed a manager since O Neil and as a result have become a worse side each and every season. We have made a net transfer budget of approx. 10m available for Di Canio and Poyet which is laughable for a team in the premier league.

We had to spend a fortune under Drumaville due to damage that was caused from our worst team in premiership history which damaged the club massively. Southampton got promoted after being an established premier league side In the 90s, reaching FA cup finals and playing uefa Cup football. They also backed their first two seasons back up to a tune of a net 30m spend in each of their first two seasons.

It really isn't the comparison you are trying to paint.

Totally disagree.

We haven't backed a manager since O Neil and as a result have become a worse side each and every season. We have made a net transfer budget of approx. 10m available for Di Canio and Poyet which is laughable for a team in the premier league.

We had to spend a fortune under Drumaville due to damage that was caused from our worst team in premiership history which damaged the club massively. Southampton got promoted after being an established premier league side In the 90s, reaching FA cup finals and playing uefa Cup football. They also backed their first two seasons back up to a tune of a net 30m spend in each of their first two seasons.

How does it stack up against Stoke, West Brom, Newcastle, Swansea, etc....I agree it's been fairly low these last couple of years but Stoke spent even less and thrived. It's not so much what you spend as how you spend it and that's been our biggest problem for a long, long time.

How does it stack up against Stoke, West Brom, Newcastle, Swansea, etc....I agree it's been fairly low these last couple of years but Stoke spent even less and thrived. It's not so much what you spend as how you spend it and that's been our biggest problem for a long, long time.

Stoke have been strict the last two seasons but spent 90m prior to that and its their first premier league campaign so entered the league with a clean slate financially. The only argument you could make really would be West Brom who haven't spent a fortune but have consistently stayed in the league and never in scraps.

The rest have all spent big

Stoke have been strict the last two seasons but spent 90m prior to that and its their first premier league campaign so entered the league with a clean slate financially. The only argument you could make really would be West Brom who haven't spent a fortune but have consistently stayed in the league and never in scraps.

The rest have all spent big

You were on about net spend though.......surely the likes of Swansea and Newcastle will have had their spend balanced by big sales.

So has he sined then or what?

No idea and frankly I hope not. We have played with fire and got our fingers burned by focussing our transfer policy almost completely on this idea the best way to get top talent on the cheap and safeguard a strong future at the same time is to buy lower league talent and create something yourself from them. So many lower league names have failed to turn into the top stars of the future that the club had hoped for. Take Bridcutt, Billy Jones and Conor Wickham.

Hope he turns out well but it is a BIG gamble doing what the club likes to do.

You were on about net spend though.......surely the likes of Swansea and Newcastle will have had their spend balanced by big sales.

Swansea spent 10m the season they came up, recouped 6m the season they sold Sinclair and Allen, then spent 20m, last season 17m.

They've just sold Bony for 28m so well see what this summer brings for them, but they are hardly on a low budget.

Newcastle have done very well, Caroll, Cabaye, Enrique, Debuchy have all been great business. However other than their 2nd season since promotion and the season they sold Cabaye they've either spent the same or more than us. Last season they spent 20m net.

Swansea spent 10m the season they came up, recouped 6m the season they sold Sinclair and Allen, then spent 20m, last season 17m.

They've just sold Bony for 28m so well see what this summer brings for them, but they are hardly on a low budget.

Newcastle have done very well, Caroll, Cabaye, Enrique, Debuchy have all been great business. However other than their 2nd season since promotion and the season they sold Cabaye they've either spent the same or more than us. Last season they spent 20m net.

That's the point I'm making......buys and sells balancing each other out and leaving most clubs like ours spending roughly the same. Where things differ is that we generally spend ours on poor and ill-fitting players.

No idea and frankly I hope not. We have played with fire and got our fingers burned by focussing our transfer policy almost completely on this idea the best way to get top talent on the cheap and safeguard a strong future at the same time is to buy lower league talent and create something yourself from them. So many lower league names have failed to turn into the top stars of the future that the club had hoped for. Take Bridcutt, Billy Jones and Conor Wickham.

Hope he turns out well but it is a BIG gamble doing what the club likes to do.
Remind me where did Jones play before we signed him

That's the point I'm making......buys and sells balancing each other out and leaving most clubs like ours spending roughly the same. Where things differ is that we generally spend ours on poor and ill-fitting players.
But your point is incorrect.

Our spending is beaten by clubs around us, only WBA spend very little and it will eventually catch up with them.

In our 8 seasons in the premier league weve had a net spend under 13m in 5 of them. The Mags who are much published in the media about how little Ashley invests in the club have been In the league 5 seasons and spent over 13m twice in those 5 years.

Ellis Short subsidises the club brilliant as I appreciate we aren't in a healthy financial but to suggest other clubs don't spend and to suggest we are ambitious with transfers but just struggle to attract players is totally incorrect. Pay what other teams offer then we might get a higher quality of player.

Totally disagree.

Not true about Di Canio. We made a transfer net profit whilst he was here.

Our spending is beaten by clubs around us, only WBA spend very little and it will eventually catch up with them.

In our 8 seasons in the premier league weve had a net spend under 13m in 5 of them. The Mags who are much published in the media about how little Ashley invests in the club have been In the league 5 seasons and spent over 13m twice in those 5 years.

Ellis Short subsidises the club brilliant as I appreciate we aren't in a healthy financial but to suggest other clubs don't spend and to suggest we are ambitious with transfers but just struggle to attract players is totally incorrect. Pay what other teams offer then we might get a higher quality of player.

But I haven't said other clubs don't spend and we are ambitious with transfers......what I've said is that when the buys and the sells are weighed up there's little to choose between clubs like us. We've signed a £16m player, two £12m players and two £10m players in recent years.

The mags got a 65m net profit from four players (Carroll, Cabaye, Debuchy and Ba) and haven't spent a lot more than us. It's clear as day that our main problem is recruiting players and not the lack of money invested.

The mags got a 65m net profit from four players (Carroll, Cabaye, Debuchy and Ba) and haven't spent a lot more than us. It's clear as day that our main problem is recruiting players and not the lack of money invested.

They have a very similar net spend you are right, the big difference being we are having to shed a lot more players to match their outgoings.

They are spending 100m to replace 7 or 8 players, we are spending the same to replace 15-16 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back