Running Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have tried everything else @Stevie Freestein II so after reading a little i am going to work on the core as its something i neglect, will have a proper read as soon as i have time but it has certainly give me something to think about even though i have only briefly scanned it
Good luck mate, we will have to have a training session on the roads sometime, two old crocks !

Club relays were awful. hilly and too fast
. Could only watch Dan as hammy really tight , noticed magicrat was shit hot again , and very good run by the butcher also . Aly Dixon was on another level, also Ian hudspith and guy bracken for their age groups are amazing athletes

Last edited:

been sick for the past week and a bit. Frustrating as hell and just hope when I am over it I haven't lost too much fitness. training had been going very well!

Just started running outdoors last month as I'm going to do the Sunderland 10k in May. Last Sunday was my 4th time out and managed 10k for the first time in 56 minutes. Runnin around Fatfield/Biddick area so quite hilly in parts. Quite happy with that. Just need to get quicker now.

Just started running outdoors last month as I'm going to do the Sunderland 10k in May. Last Sunday was my 4th time out and managed 10k for the first time in 56 minutes. Runnin around Fatfield/Biddick area so quite hilly in parts. Quite happy with that. Just need to get quicker now.
What time you aiming for? Got a place in the GNR so started running last week. I'm aiming for sub 2 hours in the half marathon (don't know if this is too ambitious for me atm). Thinking of entering the Sunderland 10k but not sure yet.

What time you aiming for? Got a place in the GNR so started running last week. I'm aiming for sub 2 hours in the half marathon (don't know if this is too ambitious for me atm). Thinking of entering the Sunderland 10k but not sure yet.

Taking it one run at a time (sound like a footballer)...Looking for sub 50 next then on from there. No rush (no pun intended either). Like I said, it's very up and down round our way so on a flatter route, I reckon I could shave quite a bit off that time. The S10k will be my first 'propper' race.
Getting a good taste for it so I'm sure the distance will increase in time as well.

I dont know why but I've always dreamed of doing the GNR, I was really fit when I was younger but I've stopped doing exercise over the last few months.
I applied for the GNR but didn't get in. I think I've signed up for the GNR through a charity but I'm just waiting for confirmation.

I think I'm going to build up core strength for a few weeks and then start to run when I have finished my last assignment for uni. When I start to run, does anyone have any tips? I have a dodgy knee at times so can struggle to run on pavement for long periods. I need to buy running shoes as well

I dont know why but I've always dreamed of doing the GNR, I was really fit when I was younger but I've stopped doing exercise over the last few months.
I applied for the GNR but didn't get in. I think I've signed up for the GNR through a charity but I'm just waiting for confirmation.

I think I'm going to build up core strength for a few weeks and then start to run when I have finished my last assignment for uni. When I start to run, does anyone have any tips? I have a dodgy knee at times so can struggle to run on pavement for long periods. I need to buy running shoes as well

get some cheapish running trainers, no need to splash big cash incase you don't keep it up - try Dalton park (Adidas/ new balance) ?
start running now not in a few weeks, just build it up very gradually, even if just go out twice a week for 30mins, it will give you time to switch off from college stuff and will get your body slowly use to running, maybe do it on trail routes if can

one aim for the year - sub 20 hr WHW. anything else i do is just to get ready for this.
I assume you mean the race? That would put you top 10-20, wouldn't it? Good going.

Well having had a few slack months since the GNR I have had a decent start to this year. Target number 1 was made - start running with a club! Did this last Tuesday (a slow 5ish miles) followed up by an interval/training session with them on Thursday. Then a solid 5 miles Saturday morning gone.

Luckily it doesn't seem like my levels have dropped too much so will be looking for decent targets this year:

1. Get back to Parkrun and get sub 20. My PB is around 20:45 so this should be manageable.
2. Sub 40 10K. Will be tough as nowhere near this level (yet!) but will be using the running club as training for this target.
3. Keep running! Sounds obvious, but with the motivation of joining a club finally, I am looking to get some real consistency into my running. Minimum 2 runs a week will be the aim.
4. Go sub 1:40 in a HM, although not entered into anything this year yet...
My 10k time is 39:xx. My HM is 1:26:xx. You would smash 1:40.

Last edited:
Happy with my progress since xmas, park run down to 26 mins from 32 and hovering around 58 for 10. Entered the GNR too

However, any tips for not losing weight and body shape other than going to gym..... eating before a run would mean i am not burning much fat but i seem to struggle on a full stomach....

gentle runs in the past couple of days to try and ease back after being ill. still not right and felt rubbish but hopefully can get going again. half marathon on sunday and plan on pacing someone to a potential pb. problem is that he is in very good shape so it might not be so easy for me!

Just done my first run in years. Determined to get fit again so I've joined the gym, strapped on a pair of runners and got back into it.

I forgot how good it feels once the adrenaline kicks in.

Gonna have to keep at it like as I'm doing the Total Warrior in June.

What a stupid idea that was!

Bridges of the the Tyne 5mile race has sold out in 50 minutes !
Is this running lark getting popular or what ??

Just back from the national XC in Donnington, had a canny run but was only 256th. . some quick lads about.
Well done to Morpeth who won the team prize :cool:
Morpeth had 6 in top 40, unreal. Seen some of the names 250th ish, amazingly strong field, 1700 runners!!! Might have to do it next year for the crack!!

All the fast lads want pbs! I'm in like.

I'm not fast like, 32:30 for last year.
35 mins is my best there so that makes you a fast lad.
Sadly, i'll not beat it this year cos im not in :mad:
Which is a bit of twat realy, as its been included in my clubs gp league.

I'm home in NE for Easter Sunday/Monday. Any recommendations for races. Any distance, any terrain, any size. Gutted I missed out on North Tyneside 10k.

I assume you mean the race? That would put you top 10-20, wouldn't it? Good going.

not too arsed on position really as that depends on other people (who turns us, how they perform etc etc) - just interested in my own run. would take 19:59:59 now and not bother doing it :)

I'm not fast like, 32:30 for last year.
Still a good time Dan , was pretty windy last year which probably knocked 20-30 secs on your time . I didn't get in (let me know if any strollers drop out ), although injured at moment need a summer race to try focus on or can see me just drifting away

Not done it but I heard Hartlepool Marina is even faster route, pancake flat all the way round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back