Running Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first ever half-marathon tomorrow! Quite nervous but also excited. There are some truly incredible runners on this forum so was hoping a back-of-the pack snail like me could get some advice, any dos and don'ts for an organises race? In particular, I want to run a consistent time throughout, hopefully around 7:30-7:45 per KM, but I'm worried that if I start at this pace (I usually start about a minute quicker than thaat and finish a minute later) I won't energy at the end. Does that make sense? Probably not! Too excited.

Also really hope I don't need a shit during the run too.

My first ever half-marathon tomorrow! Quite nervous but also excited. There are some truly incredible runners on this forum so was hoping a back-of-the pack snail like me could get some advice, any dos and don'ts for an organises race? In particular, I want to run a consistent time throughout, hopefully around 7:30-7:45 per KM, but I'm worried that if I start at this pace (I usually start about a minute quicker than thaat and finish a minute later) I won't energy at the end. Does that make sense? Probably not! Too excited.

Also really hope I don't need a shit during the run too.
If you start too quickly it's difficult to recover, speeding up towards the last 5 k is better.

Good luck.

Just did a quick 7k to get the paper, thought I might struggle but managed it in under 31 minutes, my fastest kilometer was 4:06, not bad for a 48 year old fat lad.

Cheers bud I'll keep that in mind, I'll be the slowest person in my age group to finish but don't care!
If it's keeping you healthy and you enjoy it it doesn't matter, also you'll be quicker than those sat on their sofas stuffing their faces.

To beat the toilet thang i normally have weetabix before bed time, cleariut when u get up snd not too much to eat before race, jam sarnies or porridge whatever

I sometimes make oat flapjacks which fill me up but aren't heavy on the stomach, might have a few of them on the morning and a strong coffee to clear everything. Have to leave the house at 06:30 for the start of the race at 08:30!

Race season starts for me today, Devilla Forest 15k. Forest roads and muddy trails. Last XC of season next week - National Champs in Falkirk. I'm about 30 seconds a mile slower than this time last year due to injuries but slowly getting back my mojo back.

First half marathon complete, never exactly went to plan. Everything that could go wrong did, compounded by some awful marshalling that meant I was forced to skip a mile and half, only to then be with the 2hour pace setters, which is way ahead of my normal pace. Had no choice but to keep up with them due to narrow paths and then walk as soon as I got a chance. Massively dissapointed, felt like a complte charlatan when people were clapping at the end. Did my very best though, it was out of my hands. I did the 13.1 mile distance last week but it wasn't at an event, feels like all that work was for fuck all.

First half marathon complete, never exactly went to plan. Everything that could go wrong did, compounded by some awful marshalling that meant I was forced to skip a mile and half, only to then be with the 2hour pace setters, which is way ahead of my normal pace. Had no choice but to keep up with them due to narrow paths and then walk as soon as I got a chance. Massively dissapointed, felt like a complte charlatan when people were clapping at the end. Did my very best though, it was out of my hands. I did the 13.1 mile distance last week but it wasn't at an event, feels like all that work was for fuck all.

How did you end up going the wrong way mate?

Just ran 10k for the first time today :-O

It was painfully slow but I got there in just under an hour. Not bad for a former fatty with a dvt :lol:

Under 60 minute for 20k is not to shabby at all marra

How did you end up going the wrong way mate?

A section of the course that doubled up on itself was too narrow for people to be going down and up at the same time, it was also where they stuck toilets (no idea why they chose there). Marshall said 'just keep going' and it was chaotic so I thought 'it cant be that far down, maybe a few hundred yards before it comes back to this point' so rather than risk knocking into someone I cut the section (again thinking it was better to miss a tiny part and not risk hurting someone/myself), next marker comes up and I've skipped a mile and a half for fuck's sake. Wasn't just me who skipped by accident either.

I've calmed down since my original post like, still pleased with myself and it was something I just couldn't help.

A section of the course that doubled up on itself was too narrow for people to be going down and up at the same time, it was also where they stuck toilets (no idea why they chose there). Marshall said 'just keep going' and it was chaotic so I thought 'it cant be that far down, maybe a few hundred yards before it comes back to this point' so rather than risk knocking into someone I cut the section (again thinking it was better to miss a tiny part and not risk hurting someone/myself), next marker comes up and I've skipped a mile and a half for fuck's sake.

You might make the papers tomorrow you cheating so and so:lol:

A section of the course that doubled up on itself was too narrow for people to be going down and up at the same time, it was also where they stuck toilets (no idea why they chose there). Marshall said 'just keep going' and it was chaotic so I thought 'it cant be that far down, maybe a few hundred yards before it comes back to this point' so rather than risk knocking into someone I cut the section (again thinking it was better to miss a tiny part and not risk hurting someone/myself), next marker comes up and I've skipped a mile and a half for fuck's sake. Wasn't just me who skipped by accident either.

I've calmed down since my original post like, still pleased with myself and it was something I just couldn't help.

Benefit from the experience mate. You can only learn by doing. Enter another half marathon and do your best it's all you can do. Remember to enjoy it, if not during then afterwards! ;)

today is 14 days off, apart from 3 mile on grass to see if calf was easier on that, just stretching loads and doing strengthening exercises at the moment but its just depressing 2016 has been 1 thing after another upto now.

I'd have thought that there'd be more twist and turns on undulating ground, I ran on grass last Thursday and my knees and calves seemed to feel it more, I think I need to review my warm-up process. Have a read of the article I posted, the research suggests that strengthening might not be the best method of recovery.

I did some light training last week and did just over 4 miles in 27 mins on Saturday without any pain so MISSION SUB-40 10K is still on, sort of. I don't think that I'll achieve it in the race in March so I've set a goal to try to do it by the end of the year. I reckon I could run a 10k in about 42 mins currently depending on the course.

Last edited:
Benefit from the experience mate. You can only learn by doing. Enter another half marathon and do your best it's all you can do. Remember to enjoy it, if not during then afterwards! ;)

I'd have thought that there'd be more twist and turns on undulating ground, I ran on grass last Thursday and my knees and calves seemed to feel it more, I think I need to review my warm-up process. Have a read of the article I posted, the research suggests that strengthening might not be the best method of recovery.

I did some light training last week and did just over 4 miles in 27 mins on Saturday without any pain so MISSION SUB-40 10K is still on, sort of. I don't think that I'll achieve it in the race in March so I've set a goal to try to do it by the end of the year. I reckon I could run a 10k in about 42 mins currently depending on the course.

can you point me in the right direction of that artical as i cannot find it being computer illiterate, i was hoping for sub 37 this year and low 17s for the 5k but thats on hiold until i can get myself right, did 5k slow yesterday and calf is fine but left knee is fellig it today

Club relays were awful. hilly and too fast. ccouldn't be arsed to do my long run yesterday, hungover and legs a bit sore. still done 12 miles.

5 miles this morning - piriformis is sore

can you point me in the right direction of that artical as i cannot find it being computer illiterate, i was hoping for sub 37 this year and low 17s for the 5k but thats on hiold until i can get myself right, did 5k slow yesterday and calf is fine but left knee is fellig it today

http://www.3dhealthsolutions.ca/Por... the Treatment of Acute Hamstring Strains.pdf

A Comparison of 2 Rehabilitation Programs in the Treatment of Acute Hamstring Strains

Marc A. Sherry, PT, LAT, CSCS 1 Thomas M. Best, MD, PhD2

Study Design: Prospective randomized comparison of 2 rehabilitation programs. Objectives: The objectives of this study were to compare the effectiveness of 2 rehabilitation programs for acute hamstring strain by evaluating time needed to return to sports and reinjury rate during the first 2 weeks and the first year after return to sport. A third objective was to investigate the relationship between functional testing performance and time to return to sports and reinjury rates after return to sport.

Background: Hamstring muscle strains are common in sports and often result in chronic pain, recurrent hamstring strains, and reduced sports performance. Current rehabilitation programs are primarily developed anecdotally and lack support from prospective, randomized research.

Methods and Measures: Twenty-four athletes with an acute hamstring strain were randomly assigned to 1 of 2 rehabilitation groups.

Eleven athletes were assigned to a protocol consisting of static stretching, isolated progressive hamstring resistance exercise, and icing (STST group).

Thirteen athletes were assigned to a program consisting of progressive agility and trunk stabilization exercises and icing (PATS group). The number of days for full return to sports, injury recurrence within the first 2 weeks, injury recurrence within the first year of returning to sports, and lower-extremity functional evaluations were collected for all subjects and compared between groups.

Results: The average (±SD) time required to return to sports for athletes in the STST group was 37.4 ± 27.6 days, while the average time for athletes in the PATS group was 22.2 ± 8.3 days. This difference was not statistically significant (P = .2455).

In the first 2 weeks after return to sports, reinjury rate was significantly greater (P = .00343, Fisher’s exact test) in the STST group, where 6 of 11 athletes (54.5%) suffered a recurrent hamstring strain after completing the stretching and strengthening program, as compared to none of the 13 athletes (0%) in the PATS group. After 1 year of return to sports, reinjury rate was significantly greater (P = .0059, Fisher’s exact test) in the STST group. Seven of 10 athletes (70%) who completed the hamstring stretching and strengthening program, as compared to only 1 of the 13 athletes (7.7%) who completed the progressive agility and trunk stabilization program, suffered a recurrent hamstring strain during that 1-year period. Conclusions: A rehabilitation program consisting of progressive agility and trunk stabilization exercises is more effective than a program emphasizing isolated hamstring stretching and strengthening in promoting return to sports and preventing injury recurrence in athletes suffering an acute hamstring strain.

Future randomized clinical trials should investigate the potential for progressive agility and trunk stabilization programs in the prevention of hamstring strain injury during sports. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2004;34:116-125

http://www.3dhealthsolutions.ca/Portals/0/Patient Education/A Comparison of 2 Rehabilitation Programs in the Treatment of Acute Hamstring Strains.pdf

A Comparison of 2 Rehabilitation Programs in the Treatment of Acute Hamstring Strains

Marc A. Sherry, PT, LAT, CSCS 1 Thomas M. Best, MD, PhD2

Study Design: Prospective randomized comparison of 2 rehabilitation programs. Objectives: The objectives of this study were to compare the effectiveness of 2 rehabilitation programs for acute hamstring strain by evaluating time needed to return to sports and reinjury rate during the first 2 weeks and the first year after return to sport. A third objective was to investigate the relationship between functional testing performance and time to return to sports and reinjury rates after return to sport.

Background: Hamstring muscle strains are common in sports and often result in chronic pain, recurrent hamstring strains, and reduced sports performance. Current rehabilitation programs are primarily developed anecdotally and lack support from prospective, randomized research.

Methods and Measures: Twenty-four athletes with an acute hamstring strain were randomly assigned to 1 of 2 rehabilitation groups.

Eleven athletes were assigned to a protocol consisting of static stretching, isolated progressive hamstring resistance exercise, and icing (STST group).

Thirteen athletes were assigned to a program consisting of progressive agility and trunk stabilization exercises and icing (PATS group). The number of days for full return to sports, injury recurrence within the first 2 weeks, injury recurrence within the first year of returning to sports, and lower-extremity functional evaluations were collected for all subjects and compared between groups.

Results: The average (±SD) time required to return to sports for athletes in the STST group was 37.4 ± 27.6 days, while the average time for athletes in the PATS group was 22.2 ± 8.3 days. This difference was not statistically significant (P = .2455).

In the first 2 weeks after return to sports, reinjury rate was significantly greater (P = .00343, Fisher’s exact test) in the STST group, where 6 of 11 athletes (54.5%) suffered a recurrent hamstring strain after completing the stretching and strengthening program, as compared to none of the 13 athletes (0%) in the PATS group. After 1 year of return to sports, reinjury rate was significantly greater (P = .0059, Fisher’s exact test) in the STST group. Seven of 10 athletes (70%) who completed the hamstring stretching and strengthening program, as compared to only 1 of the 13 athletes (7.7%) who completed the progressive agility and trunk stabilization program, suffered a recurrent hamstring strain during that 1-year period. Conclusions: A rehabilitation program consisting of progressive agility and trunk stabilization exercises is more effective than a program emphasizing isolated hamstring stretching and strengthening in promoting return to sports and preventing injury recurrence in athletes suffering an acute hamstring strain.

Future randomized clinical trials should investigate the potential for progressive agility and trunk stabilization programs in the prevention of hamstring strain injury during sports. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2004;34:116-125

thanks,i will have a read at dinner time.

No probs, it's from 2004 and suggests a recovery programme for hamstring injuries. There might be more relevant/recent research.

It's interesting how the leg bone is connected to the stomach bone. The stomach bone is connected to the back bone etc.

i have tried everything else @Stevie Freestein II so after reading a little i am going to work on the core as its something i neglect, will have a proper read as soon as i have time but it has certainly give me something to think about even though i have only briefly scanned it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back