Running Thread 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done tha day fletch. Cracking time :cool:
Cheers coach

Probably replace the couple of short runs next week with exercise bike or aquajogging.
Mate if in pain I wouldn't even do that, just have a couple walks out and do few stretches n stuff , you can't get any fitter now for Sunday you can only make that injury worse, just chill out , hope it feels better back end of week and you smash the race !

Last edited:

Reading some of your times on here makes me really envious!

Im 29, Ive done 28 runs so far in prep for the GNR (and in my life) - I average about 9:30 comfortably, my longest run so far was 8.24 miles at a pace of 9:34.

Im 6 foot 2 and weigh about 13 stone 6 (lost weight with the running) if I push mysself on shorter distances I can do sub 9minute miles. Nervous about the GNR but also excited! Im not arsed about my time, just want to finish it!

Im 29, Ive done 28 runs so far in prep for the GNR (and in my life) - I average about 9:30 comfortably, my longest run so far was 8.24 miles at a pace of 9:34.

Im 6 foot 2 and weigh about 13 stone 6 (lost weight with the running) if I push mysself on shorter distances I can do sub 9minute miles. Nervous about the GNR but also excited! Im not arsed about my time, just want to finish it!
youl finish it and i bet you enjoy it

9:30 is a canny time

i did 9 miles on saturday , thats my biggest run for a long time
shoes are so uncomfortable and i thought something was going to crack in either one of my feet by the end
another 4 miles on top of that might do me a proper damage

One good thing about my injury is that I don't have any nerves at all now.

Just been to the physio who has done some stuff, given some exercises and said she might be able to squeeze in another session before the GNR, but admitted it is a tall order to sort it out before. Now I just want to get round. When I started training, I had my heart set on 1:44 (8 min miles) but now if I can get round through the pain barrier I have achieved two things. I will have raised close to £300 for charity and done 13 miles more than most people that weekend.

We are all different mate, you'll see people on here are what I call top club runners who can do sub 3 hour marathons and sub 1:20 halfs which is something I could never do. But then you have people who are just happy to do a park run in under 50 mins.

Key is to keep motivated and have reasonable goals.

Day off today after long run yesterday. Legs feel surprisingly good... let's see tomorrow.

Am torn between easing off on the long runs to make sure I don't pick up an injury and pressing on to try and give myself the best possible chance of a good time in 5 weeks. I think one slow long run and one hard 10 mile or half marathon is what I'll go for.

Am doing the 5k run leg of a team triathlon on saturday. Think a long slow run back after that is the best bet and it means no need for a long run on Sunday :)

I finished my training for St Oswald's 100 mile ultra at the weekend. Did an 86 mile week which is the most I've ever done in 7 days. Worked out that over the period I've spent training for the race I did 526 miles which took over 102 hours. Got the GNR this weekend but gonna see how my legs are feeling before I decide what sort of effort it'll be ran at, don't want to push too hard and risk it effecting the big one on the 26th!

Very light run last night - well virtually just a log over 4 miles. Keep things ticking over for Sunday. Going to just do one more this week - Thursday probably. Going to aim for 6.5 (so half of Sunday distance) at target race pace - 8:00 minute miles. Then based on that I will know roughly where I am in regards to a proper target for Sunday.

Best of luck in avoiding injury/illness to everyone this week :) I am acting proper paranoid - going nowhere near curbs etc when walking and that :lol:

I finished my training for St Oswald's 100 mile ultra at the weekend. Did an 86 mile week which is the most I've ever done in 7 days. Worked out that over the period I've spent training for the race I did 526 miles which took over 102 hours. Got the GNR this weekend but gonna see how my legs are feeling before I decide what sort of effort it'll be ran at, don't want to push too hard and risk it effecting the big one on the 26th!
Have signed up to do the Lakeland 50 next year, you good any tips or decent guides I could look into. Been running for 4 years now but this year is the first year I have had any structure to my training and amazingly I have yet to be injured, and with my hamstrings that is a minor miracle!

Penshaw Hill session for me after work with the Strollers.......I think i'll be starting it and not finishing it ha

Managed a very hilly 6.5 Penshaw session last night after a hard 20 miles on Sunday. Another Hilly Club session on Wed before a little run in the lead up to the GNR for me

Have signed up to do the Lakeland 50 next year, you good any tips or decent guides I could look into. Been running for 4 years now but this year is the first year I have had any structure to my training and amazingly I have yet to be injured, and with my hamstrings that is a minor miracle!

My advice if you're gonna be doing a lot of miles is try to get as many back to back long runs in as possible. By doing this you train your body to run even when tired. There's loads of stuff on ultra running out there but aside from the actual running itself I'd say work out what food/gels/drinks work best for you, get some fruit flow capsules off Amazon and take 3 before long runs, it's amazing how much they reduce the inflamation in your legs similar to the compression gear does. Invest in some self massage tools like "the Stick", the grid foam roller and even perhaps a trigger point ball. By regularly keeping your muscles loose you'll more likely avoid injury and save a fortune by going to get someone to give you a sports massage. If you get the self massage tools and it hurts on whatever part of your body you're using it on you've got tightness and it's doing its job getting rid of the knots and will leave you with a bruised feeling the next day but that's a good sign as strange as it may sound. Oh yeah and Beet it shots they work a treat!

Well, most of the articles I've read on recovery say its about 1 day of recovery for every mile ran at race pace before you're back to peak condition so you should be fine barring injuries.

Train on hills and practice nutrition! Doing it for the third time next year, with my lass

oo look at me ive done it twice before ooo i have a girlfriend oooo
SO MUCH BOAST MR A

im excited for sunday

Train on hills and practice nutrition! Doing it for the third time next year, with my lass
Cheers mate, do a lot of running around Penshaw and Fatfield so there are hills in every run I do but nutrition will be a big thing as well as I am not really upto speed on eating during a run etc. but there is time.

Cheers mate, do a lot of running around Penshaw and Fatfield so there are hills in every run I do but nutrition will be a big thing as well as I am not really upto speed on eating during a run etc. but there is time.

You'll have to get used to run/walk sessions as well. My plan for my upcoming 100 miler is to get as much solid food inside me during the first 50-60 miles and then just stick to gels as much as possible for my food source. It's hard enough eating solid food when you're out running but when you've been going for 20 plus hours the thought of eating something solid and sweet makes you feel ill and then sometimes you don't eat it which obviously in turn means you're lacking carbs/calories. At least with gels you can get it down in one go. I've also recently discovered SIS double esspresso gels with 150mg of caffeine in them which work a treat especially as I don't like coffee and have very little caffeine in other drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back