Running Thread 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant time that, I was hitting those times when I was 18, 19 and in the Army, I have slowed down a lot since then.
I was pleased at 42:16 for 10k and 19:17 for 5k earlier this year, here it is a bit too hot even at night for a decent run, though I can comfortably run at under 5min a kilometer.

Thanks. Am slowly but surely getting back down towards the sort of time I could do as a teenager. Have been steadily increasing my training frequency and been at 6 times a week for the past 3 weeks. Surely that has to help me chop some more time off!

Competitiveness of following others on strava also helps :)

Thanks. Am slowly but surely getting back down towards the sort of time I could do as a teenager. Have been steadily increasing my training frequency and been at 6 times a week for the past 3 weeks. Surely that has to help me chop some more time off!

Competitiveness of following others on strava also helps :)
I might have asked before, but how old are you, if you don't mind me asking.
I'm 48 and can still outrun my kids, not sprinting though.

Back home from holidays and I need to start doing more longer runs. I was wondering about eating and stuff. Do I need to eat extra carbs or take gels with me on a long run? My favoured running time is first thing in the morning on an empty stomach but I don't want to flake out part way because I'm hungry!

Back home from holidays and I need to start doing more longer runs. I was wondering about eating and stuff. Do I need to eat extra carbs or take gels with me on a long run? My favoured running time is first thing in the morning on an empty stomach but I don't want to flake out part way because I'm hungry!

Depends on how you want to run. If you have a heart rate monitor then running at between 60-70% of your max heart rate will use fat as fuel. I've been told this is particularly useful when building your distance up.

Depends on how you want to run. If you have a heart rate monitor then running at between 60-70% of your max heart rate will use fat as fuel. I've been told this is particularly useful when building your distance up.
How do you work out your max hr?

Depends on time and distance, I reckon I can run about 2 hours before I'm flagging bad, but then its too late. I use gels often, especially when training for marathons.

Check wiggle out, I use high 5. Also cash back on quidco

Depends on time and distance, I reckon I can run about 2 hours before I'm flagging bad, but then its too late. I use gels often, especially when training for marathons.

Check wiggle out, I use high 5. Also cash back on quidco

Are Jelly Babies just as good as the Gels? Don't really like running and taking on anything but water but I think i'm going to have to now I'm upping the miles.

Haven't got a heart rate monitor. "Gannin like the clappers" is the most accurate measurement I can give :lol:

I found a high 5 sample pack on Amazon, so I've ordered that to have a play with gels and stuff. Also ordered a hydration pack as my running bottle only holds 500ml and only lasts about 5-6 miles especially when it's warm.

Haven't got a heart rate monitor. "Gannin like the clappers" is the most accurate measurement I can give :lol:

I found a high 5 sample pack on Amazon, so I've ordered that to have a play with gels and stuff. Also ordered a hydration pack as my running bottle only holds 500ml and only lasts about 5-6 miles especially when it's warm.
what about a camel back?

Are Jelly Babies just as good as the Gels? Don't really like running and taking on anything but water but I think i'm going to have to now I'm upping the miles.
I struggle to chew whilst running, can't breath properly. But its sugar so I can't see why not. Some gels have caffeine in.

General rule of thumb is to subtract your age from 220. In reality many people can go higher than the number that produces though (Mine is 7bpm higher than the number that produces). The only way to know for sure is to go flat out for as long as you can & then take your pulse straight after if you don't have a hrm.

I prefer wine gums but both have a high glucose content.

what about a camel back?

I struggle to chew whilst running, can't breath properly. But its sugar so I can't see why not. Some gels have caffeine in.

I just leave them in my mouth to dissolve rather than chew.

I'm late 40's, 48 to be exact and I'm starting to slow right down.

Hmmm, not liking the sound of that. I'm a couple of years behind you & still getting faster & I'm aware that I can't keep improving for ever but I was hoping to at least level out for a few years before the inevitable decline started.

Last edited:
Hmmm, not liking the sound of that. I'm a couple of years behind you & still getting faster & I'm aware that I can't keep improving for ever but I was hoping to at least level out for a few years before the inevitable decline started.
It depends on what pace your body is used to running at, I can comfortably run a 4:30 kilometer pace, I could run a 3:30 pace when I was younger.

Had a shitty day at work and was great to get out for a half decent run when got home , time to just switch off... then watched the Butcher for ten mins - looked strong running mate...

My max heart rate tonight was 175 when doing 6 x 800m at 6 minute mile pace. I was working pretty hard!

On the working out I should be 194.

First race after me jollies tonight at Morpeth 10k, wasn't as rusty as I'd thought - got round in 34.50. I was nowhere near the front though, all the Morpeth beasts were out :)

MagicRat: 20990917 said:
First race after me jollies tonight at Morpeth 10k, wasn't as rusty as I'd thought - got round in 34.50. I was nowhere near the front though, all the Morpeth beasts were out :)
Seen you mate, shouted at ya but you must have been in your zone :)
Anyway, cracking time, well done.

those runs in your flip flops must have kept you in shape mate...
some club Morpeth mind, light years ahead of all the other north east clubs

ha ha cheers Fletch. Trying to keep the track work going, need to get a 10k race sorted actually to try and get a pb to aim for. Not long till XC !!
How are Morpeth so good then ?? Is it Crams influence?? Or bigger catchment area of farmers??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back