Running Thread 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone did much playing about with two runs in a day? Started doing 4-5 mile easy/recovery runs early doors (around 06.00am) and then 7-9 miles of whatever late afternoon early evening. Early signs are looking good but not sure if it's viable 4 times a week. (Excluding rest day, Sunday's and Tuesday track session)

Anyone did much playing about with two runs in a day? Started doing 4-5 mile easy/recovery runs early doors (around 06.00am) and then 7-9 miles of whatever late afternoon early evening. Early signs are looking good but not sure if it's viable 4 times a week. (Excluding rest day, Sunday's and Tuesday track session)

I've been reading a book that advocates that, but I've not tried it myself. I've not been out since Gateshead 10K as my crohns is having a bit of a flare.

I'm a big believer in running early in the morning, before breakfast - works for me, 90% of my runs are a 6am start... There have been times that I've gone out for a second run later in the day, but nothing I've really strived towards??? What are the benefits supposed to be?

I'm a big believer in running early in the morning, before breakfast - works for me, 90% of my runs are a 6am start... There have been times that I've gone out for a second run later in the day, but nothing I've really strived towards??? What are the benefits supposed to be?

I've found my best running has been first thing. If I wait until after work then I can't be bothered and recently it has been far too hot.

I can't say I'd be up for another run later in the day like.

It's a less strenuous and supposedly less risky way off increasing mileage. 2 x 5 milers instead of a 10 miler plus you get rest and recuperation in between and an elevated metabolism over an extended period.

Hmmm... sounds intersting like... I might give it a go for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Any one doing the Coastal Run this weekend? Never done it before, and a pal of mine has suggested that you might get your feet completely soaked a couple of miles in, running through streams and that? Sounds like fun - NOT!

Sounds interesting but not viable for me. I also run better from late morning, early mornings and running doesn't get me out of bed !! Though I wish I could, best time of the day.
Circuits last night so pictures tonight then Sunderland 5k tomorrow night.

Circuits last night so pictures tonight then Sunderland 5k tomorrow night.

which circuits class go to mate ?

I'd be heading for the divorce courts if I mentioned trying that :lol:

Last edited:
Hmmm... sounds intersting like... I might give it a go for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Any one doing the Coastal Run this weekend? Never done it before, and a pal of mine has suggested that you might get your feet completely soaked a couple of miles in, running through streams and that? Sounds like fun - NOT!
Class run. You cross a stream about two miles. Real mix of terrains, hard sand, soft sand, in between sand, trail, even a little bit of Tarmac !

Great one to finish then go and chuck yourself in the sea. Would be there myself but go on hols on Thursday. Enjoy it.

Know a few people that do that. They struggled at first but it paid dividends in the end and they got a lot quicker.

Tempted myself but, like fletch, my wife would gan nuts :)

I did it while training for the GNR in 2004 & didn't have time before or after work to do a proper long run. It only worked for me when both runs totalled about 10% more than a single longer run on the training schedule would have been & both at a quicker pace.

which circuits class go to mate ?

I'd be heading for the divorce courts if I mentioned trying that :lol:
It's not as bad as it sounds mate. My early run is done while everyone else is akip and my late one I do straight from work or even at work in late lunch break.

Been a nightmare year to be honest just glad I seem to be getting back some form. Been a real sickener missing all the summer races though.

PS: I'd recommend circuit training at Lambton Street on Tuesday's and Thursday's. Perfect for cross training/strength work

Class run. You cross a stream about two miles. Real mix of terrains, hard sand, soft sand, in between sand, trail, even a little bit of Tarmac !

Great one to finish then go and chuck yourself in the sea. Would be there myself but go on hols on Thursday. Enjoy it.

Know a few people that do that. They struggled at first but it paid dividends in the end and they got a lot quicker.

Tempted myself but, like fletch, my wife would gan nuts :)
I would try it, but I can't be arsed.

Cheers mate, I'm looking forward to it, but I admit the different terrain has me a little worried - the thought of a few pints in Alnmouth afterwards should keep me going ;)

Cheers mate, I'm looking forward to it, but I admit the different terrain has me a little worried - the thought of a few pints in Alnmouth afterwards should keep me going ;)
Good stuff, hope its a little cooler than last year for you - was hellish :(

Like the avatar btw. . my username is a nod to bruce ;)

my username is a nod to bruce ;)
Didn't realise you were a big Forsyth fan mate

Sunderland 5k tonight , well organised by the harriers , recommend it for any local SMB runners, one to bookmark

Been a nightmare year to be honest just glad I seem to be getting back some form. Been a real sickener missing all the summe
PS: I'd recommend circuit training at Lambton Street on Tuesday's and Thursday's. Perfect for cross training/strength work
good to hear your back mate , I had 14month out not long back So i know how it feels , here's to injury free training for you.
I've been Lambton street few year back but it clashes with daughter going harriers now so it's a non starter. The bloke who use to run it (rarfy ?) was about 80 and fit as a butchers dog , was a good set up there and cheap as chips

Last edited:

Sunderland 5k tonight , well organised by the harriers , recommend it for any local SMB runners, one to bookmark

Not that old kernt :)

How'd you get on tonight? Would've done it myself but had a big list of jobs tonight as we're away on hols in morning

good to hear your back mate , I had 14month out not long back So i know how it feels , here's to injury free training for you.
I've been Lambton street few year back but it clashes with daughter going harriers now so it's a non starter. The bloke who use to run it (rarfy ?) was about 80 and fit as a butchers dog , was a good set up there and cheap as chips
Cheers mate, gutted I couldn't do 5km tonight .Fast and flat so always good for a pb if nice and calm.

Aye Ralphy Roll is still doing it, about 7 stone dripping wet but as fit as a Kenyan steeplechaser. Must be about 85 if ya believe the stories, seems like he's been doing it for decades now.

Did the 5k at Silksworth tonight. The standard was unbelievably high, I had no chance of keeping up but I still shattered my pb and mile pb (22 mins and 6.40 respectively), which I was happy with. Don't know what the winning time was, providing bloody fast !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back