Running Thread 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
London ballot opens on Monday. Quite inspired watching it on the box. Do I really want to do another marathon?

you may surprise yourself, just don't set off too fast and blow up half way round. couple of banks in the route also so its not as flat as the half marathon course , then the last mile go eyeballs out..

well done mate, especially as you had fair few niggles leading up to it.

great stuff dan, some of your lot posted some excellent times, yours included , never fancied a marathon mainly due to the time consuming training and the probable weight loss with all that mileage, but its got me thinking now...:lol:
I lost no weight! Ate loads like. Dropped 2 inches off my waist though.

London ballot opens on Monday. Quite inspired watching it on the box. Do I really want to do another marathon?
Yes you do. Everyone should apply.

These last few pages have people all over the place in regards to their current fitness! People doing pb marathons, yourself getting physio, others getting 6k in for the first time in a while etc...

I had a little scare at footy this Sunday, felt groin go a little so just stopped playing straight away with doing the 10k on Sunday. Going to go for a very light jog just now and see what it's like...

Well it's definitely frustrating for me. Had great plans to have achieved a good for age entry into london for next year by now and then enjoy some shorter runs through the summer. Instead trying to find something to hold on to.

Frustrating thing is that underneath it all I know I am in good shape. Hopefully it comes back quickly!

Hope your niggles ease but my feedback now would be to get it checked out and spent time stretching. Wish I'd been doing that since a couple of months ago when my problems started and I'd be fine and dandy now.

Well it's definitely frustrating for me. Had great plans to have achieved a good for age entry into london for next year by now and then enjoy some shorter runs through the summer. Instead trying to find something to hold on to.

Frustrating thing is that underneath it all I know I am in good shape. Hopefully it comes back quickly!

Hope your niggles ease but my feedback now would be to get it checked out and spent time stretching. Wish I'd been doing that since a couple of months ago when my problems started and I'd be fine and dandy now.
Luckily it seems ok, no reaction to the run yesterday. So looking all set for the 10k on Sunday now!

sland 10k entries close tonight, lloking like I will duff it due to couple niggles in past 2 weeks, shame as really wanted to be involved with it being hometown run (if that makes sense), will be spectating instead.

need to target couple of summer races so don't lose interest now.

sland 10k entries close tonight, lloking like I will duff it due to couple niggles in past 2 weeks, shame as really wanted to be involved with it being hometown run (if that makes sense), will be spectating instead.

This is that Newburn river run I was on about, an elswick harriers run with a bottle of beer at the end :)

http://www.elswickharriers.org.uk/elswickharriers/?page_id=866

Good one to do a couple weeks before the tynedale 10k

I've entered the Sunderland ½ Marathon every year since it started & never managed to do it yet because of injuries. I've done something to my foot this year as well but I managed an 11 mile plod on Monday without too much discomfort so I'm going to live with it & do the run this year. The time will be crap but at least I'll have done one.

Just seen the entries are open for the river run. Its always seemed to clash with something and Ive never managed to do it so i might sign up now then ive got no excuse.
And you get a beer at the end too...didnt realise that !

I've entered the Sunderland ½ Marathon every year since it started & never managed to do it yet because of injuries. I've done something to my foot this year as well but I managed an 11 mile plod on Monday without too much discomfort so I'm going to live with it & do the run this year. The time will be crap but at least I'll have done one.

Jesus mate I thought I've had it bad in the past
I was doing really well but picked up a hip flexor injury a month ago so will be supporting the wife on her first so wont be pushing for a sub 1:40.

Doing my first real ultra on Saturday / Sunday - EnduRun 24 at Gosforth. Hoping to do at least 100km. Please give me some ideas for nutrition? I've got a plan but some variation in tastes would be nice. It's a 10km lap course so I don't have to carry stuff with me throughout the run.

This is that Newburn river run I was on about, an elswick harriers run with a bottle of beer at the end :)

http://www.elswickharriers.org.uk/elswickharriers/?page_id=866

Good one to do a couple weeks before the tynedale 10k

cheers coach.

might target a half marathon later in year, noticed there's a £9 discount for redcar half that ends today (race is late sep), theres also haltwhistle half the same day though.... haven't tried either so gonna do one or the other

Doing my first real ultra on Saturday / Sunday - EnduRun 24 at Gosforth. Hoping to do at least 100km. Please give me some ideas for nutrition? I've got a plan but some variation in tastes would be nice. It's a 10km lap course so I don't have to carry stuff with me throughout the run.

i did the fling at the weekend. If you have to / can supply your own food id suggest take a bit of everything as you never know how you will feel and what you will fancy, ie , sweet or savory. One thing i had a fair bit of was mashed sweet potato with loads of butter, double cream and cheese mixed in plus LOTS of salt. Easy to eat on the move ( put it into a freezer bag and just bite the corner off and squeeze to eat) and has lots of calories to keep you going. good luck.

Anyone have advice for foam roller on hip flexor? Have a few stretches and not sure if I'm doing the roller right on it, how long should you do it for?

cheers coach.

might target a half marathon later in year, noticed there's a £9 discount for redcar half that ends today (race is late sep), theres also haltwhistle half the same day though.... haven't tried either so gonna do one or the other
I'd do Redcar fletch, flat route. . Sometimes windy though :)

And much better scenery than haltwhistle, it goes right up the back of the steelworks . . . tek that over tedious rolling green hills any day :lol:

I managed 100km at the Thunder Run a couple of years ago. Tried to do it with gel's, flapjacks, banana's, Jaffa Cakes and energy drinks but was absolutely starving toward the end and looking enviously at my brother tucking in to sandwiches and crisps. Archiesdad's advice is spot on in my view - lot's of variety (and calories) if you can. Good luck with the ultra!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back