Running Thread 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have one pair of trainers to generally train in and race in, anything above 10km. I have one pair for 10km and under. 2 pairs of trail (one pair is ready to bin). 1 pair of spikes.

Today I did the Pieces of Eight 10k rou. Last week managed it in 1h23, today was was 1h15. Last year I managed the race in 1h8. I was much stronger today, really like the route so signed up for their years race. I see the sneaks have upped the entry price by 2 quid like!

As an aside my training for the Sunderland half has gone well this week 33km this weeks, vs 28 the week before. Hoping for similar this week, before 15 in race week with a two day rest period before the race. This week I've been focusing on distance rather than speed and found my time has generally improves to around 10km an hour pace. Gradually regaining my stamina which is good as I'm going to need it!

Reactions: D.A
Footie is completely different to running. Short bursts etc. I could run a marathon today but would struggle to complete an hours game of 5 a side.
I am experiencing this today, big style. Been hitting the miles last few weeks and although I normally play footy, badminton etc, the last time I played a sport was probably about 5 weeks ago.

Thighs, groin, calves all aching like hell today after an hour of 5 a side yesterday...! The good news was that I noticed a huge difference in my energy levels and cardio when actually playing, as a result of the running...

Tried to push it a bit with the running club tonight. Rather than run with the middle pack me and a couple of others pushed on and formed a middle/fast group. Done 5.5 mile at 7.57 pace which is the fastest I have possibly ran at that distance

Any from here doing the Neptune relays on Wednesday night? We are hoping to be sending 4 teams though. Was a great laugh last year, really enjoyed it

Physio today for my hip and he figures the problem stems from my opposite ankle, which now very obviously has very limited movement and rotation.

Got my exercises to work through and back on Friday. Feeling positive. Need to cover 20 miles on Sunday. ..

Tried to push it a bit with the running club tonight. Rather than run with the middle pack me and a couple of others pushed on and formed a middle/fast group. Done 5.5 mile at 7.57 pace which is the fastest I have possibly ran at that distance

Any from here doing the Neptune relays on Wednesday night? We are hoping to be sending 4 teams though. Was a great laugh last year, really enjoyed it
Good time to be hitting pace since the relays are coming! I would have entered as part of the strollers, but saving myself for Sunday - London.

Had a sports massage tonight, just to get rid of any little pains and feeling great. Can't wait for Sunday. I'm so excited.

Good time to be hitting pace since the relays are coming! I would have entered as part of the strollers, but saving myself for Sunday - London.

Had a sports massage tonight, just to get rid of any little pains and feeling great. Can't wait for Sunday. I'm so excited.
Good luck dan, you got a time in mind ?

I've got a place in York Marathon but fancy doing Kielder 1/2 a week before, it is advisable not to do a 1/2 so close to a full?

I've got a place in York Marathon but fancy doing Kielder 1/2 a week before, it is advisable not to do a 1/2 so close to a full?

I done them two in 2013 mate, my first marathons. Kielder was tough but really enjoyable. I struggled after 19 miles on the York one but still beat my Kielder time by 10 minutes. You're a lot fitter (judging by reports on here!) than I was so you'd probably handle it better. York was good, a lot of support, but the goody bag was shit!!

I done them two in 2013 mate, my first marathons. Kielder was tough but really enjoyable. I struggled after 19 miles on the York one but still beat my Kielder time by 10 minutes. You're a lot fitter (judging by reports on here!) than I was so you'd probably handle it better. York was good, a lot of support, but the goody bag was shit!!

Cheers Mate, I was thinking I'll probably be doing about 13-15 miles the Sunday before York so might as well do the Kielder Race.

I am experiencing this today, big style. Been hitting the miles last few weeks and although I normally play footy, badminton etc, the last time I played a sport was probably about 5 weeks ago.

Thighs, groin, calves all aching like hell today after an hour of 5 a side yesterday...! The good news was that I noticed a huge difference in my energy levels and cardio when actually playing, as a result of the running...

Played 6aside Monday and struggled with the match fitness aspect again. I've ran three 15ks, a 12k and a couple of 10ks in the past couple of weeks, as well as training in the gym, and perhaps it's catching up with me a bit when it comes to football.

In fairness, Sunday I worked my core (squats, deadlifts, rows) for the first time in a fortnight and my hamstrings, glutes and back were all very achy.

Footie is completely different to running. Short bursts etc. I could run a marathon today but would struggle to complete an hours game of 5 a side.
Followed footy from Sunday with a game of badminton tonight, which was probably ill advised. Groin has all but gone (could feel it about 15 mins in but just too competitive to not give 100%) so really hoping its ok over the next couple of days. Would hate to miss out on running as been making really good progress recently...

Well I've got back out there a couple of times recently after my annual mental block about running. Just been doing 4-4.5 miles after work instead of my usual cardio at the gym but I've been enjoying it and my pace is about where I'd expect to be.

I need to get some longer runs in over the next few weeks but I'm not stressing too much at the moment and just focusing on having fun when I'm out running. It's just so frustrating how much I struggle with the mental side of it, meanwhile a friend who I encouraged to start running fell completely in love with it and just "gets" the mental aspect of pushing yourself. She can't understand at all how some people struggle to believe in themselves when it comes to running. I'd fancy her to beat me any day even though I'm probably a lot fitter in general. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back