Running Thread 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really need some new ones, it's actually embarrassing how long I have had my current ones. Saying that, I have only been putting the milage back in recently. Question though, do you still think it is worth getting an assessment for running if - generally speaking - I don't have any issues with my feet, knees etc when running? Just think I wouldn't see/feel any benefits in getting a gait analysis to be honest...

I'm not an expert but if nothing has changed since you bought the last pair then just buy a replacement pair that are near enough similar. Look up what type the old ones are (support, cushioned, mild/severe overpronator etc) and then get the newish model from the same manufacturer. I'm not plugging a retailer but the one I use has them classed by type of support and like I said I usually get Asics or Saucony.

If you take your old trainers to a decent independent running shop then any of the staff should be able to tell you how you're running without using a fancy machine.

I really need some new ones, it's actually embarrassing how long I have had my current ones. Saying that, I have only been putting the milage back in recently. Question though, do you still think it is worth getting an assessment for running if - generally speaking - I don't have any issues with my feet, knees etc when running? Just think I wouldn't see/feel any benefits in getting a gait analysis to be honest...

My opinion on gait analysis is that the ones which primarily use a treadmill are a load of bollocks as most people run differently for a short period on a treadmill (which actually does some of the work for you) than they would on a normal road run. As SFII says if you're happy with the current shoe just look up what type of gait they're for & buy another pair from the same range.

My opinion on gait analysis is that the ones which primarily use a treadmill are a load of bollocks as most people run differently for a short period on a treadmill (which actually does some of the work for you) than they would on a normal road run. As SFII says if you're happy with the current shoe just look up what type of gait they're for & buy another pair from the same range.

This is my tactic, once my shoes need replacing I take them in the to the shop with me show them to assitant and ask for a new version of the same pair.

I think it is also 10% off at sweatshop for parkrun members, just need your barcode.

10 miles last night, 8 miles this morning. Training going well but good test on Sunday with 16 mile race. Some pain still from my right quad and groin which I am hoping doesn't worsen.

In Northampton with work this week, found a canny flood defence to run loops round. . It might as well be put to some use :)

Still decide on nehl wrekenton or safc villa for Saturday :cool:

half thinking of trying to aim for the sunderland 10k, but ideally would want to do another 10k before that and see how get on.
never raced a 10k before, just had a look online at possible races - has anyone done any of these - north Tyneside , Blyth Valley, Sandancer - all 10k races in april

would only want to do the one - cheers for any advice on them

I think it is also 10% off at sweatshop for parkrun members, just need your barcode.

10 miles last night, 8 miles this morning. Training going well but good test on Sunday with 16 mile race. Some pain still from my right quad and groin which I am hoping doesn't worsen.
Do you mix up your running distances with pace? What I mean is doing longer runs slower and shorter runs faster? Done a 'slower' run yesterday for the first time - just 6 miles mind - and purposely restricted it to 8 minute miles (normally do 7 minute miles)

In time the obvious aim is to combine the distances and pace but for now I'm hoping the slower pace helps to build stamina? One thing I have noticed instantly though is that my legs are 100% fine today after the controlled run and I might do another tonight...

half thinking of trying to aim for the sunderland 10k, but ideally would want to do another 10k before that and see how get on.
never raced a 10k before, just had a look online at possible races - has anyone done any of these - north Tyneside , Blyth Valley, Sandancer - all 10k races in april

North Tyneside is canny, along the seafront to W Bay. Its on Derby Day this year though

Do you mix up your running distances with pace? What I mean is doing longer runs slower and shorter runs faster? Done a 'slower' run yesterday for the first time - just 6 miles mind - and purposely restricted it to 8 minute miles (normally do 7 minute miles)

In time the obvious aim is to combine the distances and pace but for now I'm hoping the slower pace helps to build stamina? One thing I have noticed instantly though is that my legs are 100% fine today after the controlled run and I might do another tonight...
I do 1 long & slow, 1 interval & 1 tempo run in a week now + the Parkrun flat out. Seems to suit me better than just banging out the empty miles.

Sand dancers my favourite of them, hardest course of the three though. . but you finish with a heroic lap of gypsies green stadium :)

I do 1 long & slow, 1 interval & 1 tempo run in a week now + the Parkrun flat out. Seems to suit me better than just banging out the empty miles.
Cheers, that seems to be pretty much my aim for the next few weeks. Done 6 tonight fairly slow paced, then going to aim for PB Parkrun on Saturday. Looking to do under 21:00 for the first time...

Done north shields ten km, canny, closed road for the start. Bit of a fuck on getting back to your car. Think its sold out though. South shields one is canny, course twists a bit, majority on the leas.

I'm not an expert but if nothing has changed since you bought the last pair then just buy a replacement pair that are near enough similar. Look up what type the old ones are (support, cushioned, mild/severe overpronator etc) and then get the newish model from the same manufacturer. I'm not plugging a retailer but the one I use has them classed by type of support and like I said I usually get Asics or Saucony.

If you take your old trainers to a decent independent running shop then any of the staff should be able to tell you how you're running without using a fancy machine.

I agree.When it comes to training shoes I stick to asics gel cumulus and also purchase via sportshoes.com,nowt much changes between models anyway.

Think I have bruised my heel tonight, aches when standing on it. Could be shoes??
did you do it training mate ? saw some of your runners out last night , hopefully nowt serious with that marathon coming up

Done north shields ten km, canny, closed road for the start. Bit of a fuck on getting back to your car. Think its sold out though. South shields one is canny, course twists a bit, majority on the leas.
yes mate, just checked and its sold out, its derby day anyway so wasn't that arsed - have you did the blyth one before ? I just fancy trying one and see how goes

did you do it training mate ? saw some of your runners out last night , hopefully nowt serious with that marathon coming up

yes mate, just checked and its sold out, its derby day anyway so wasn't that arsed - have you did the blyth one before ? I just fancy trying one and see how goes
Na, I would prefer to stay local like. Shields is good, tough if it's windy!

Tried a 10k last week and oppulled my hamstring after 8k, suffeing really badly with this, Feels ok after a few days, but Starts to niggle and then I just stop, don't want to fullt tear it. I was doing really well training wise.

Tried a 10k last week and oppulled my hamstring after 8k, suffeing really badly with this, Feels ok after a few days, but Starts to niggle and then I just stop, don't want to fullt tear it. I was doing really well training wise.

The shortest layoff I've ever managed to get away with without immediately re-injuring myself after even a relatively minor tear was 3 weeks. My physio had me doing aquajogging fr rehab on my knee but apparently it's also good for rehabof muscular injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back