Running Thread 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coincidently on there now, this is the route:
(Apologies for anyone on their phones or anything, it's a big image!)
Logon or register to see this image
Aye , just had a look , on the website but for the route it states , the new route , but I'm sure that's the same.
I know people want PBs and that but I'm sure they could pick a more imaginative route

Aye not a great route mind snd a couple of decent banks, get on the east durham half mara folks, much more enjoyable and satisfying.

12 miles yesterday, 20 miles today. Cooked. First time I've managed 20 miles at 7:00 minute pace. Was hard hard work in the last few miles...

Couple more good long runs to come before Brighton marathon. Looking forward to being able to get back to the shorter runs!

12 miles yesterday, 20 miles today. Cooked. First time I've managed 20 miles at 7:00 minute pace. Was hard hard work in the last few miles...

Couple more good long runs to come before Brighton marathon. Looking forward to being able to get back to the shorter runs!

Great effort that mate, 20 miles at 7:00 is some going, struggling to get 8:30 on mine though I have missed a few weeks of training thro colds.

Training going well at minute, managed a 15 mile run Friday with the first 13 in 80 mins. Couple steady runs over the weekend. Some hard training early next week then need to decide if I'm gonna do the last x country or go to the villa match on Saturday :?:

Anybody doing the run Northumberland half marathon at kirkley hall at the end of the month ?

Great effort that mate, 20 miles at 7:00 is some going, struggling to get 8:30 on mine though I have missed a few weeks of training thro colds.
Thanks. My first marathon was over 4 hours so I've gone from 8:30 to 7:00 over the past 3-4 years.

16 mile race next Sunday. Still undecided whether to run to the start and make it a 22 mile-ish run or see how quickly I can do it. I think unfortunately the longer version will win.

Is anyone interested in taking my place in Locke Parke 20 miler in Redcar next Sunday? I've struggled a bit getting my distances back up since coming back from injury & I've had to admit I'm nowhere near ready for that distance.

Free to good home.

had a horrid 2 weeks, been ill with a bad chest and sweating like apig in a butcher shop all the time, managed 2 short runs in that time, starting to recover now and hopefully just going to go for a 5k in the morning and see how I feel, going to have to take it slow for a few weeks, everytime I seem to be flying/gaining distance this chest infection problem spouts up, sick as a chip of it.

Is anyone interested in taking my place in Locke Parke 20 miler in Redcar next Sunday? I've struggled a bit getting my distances back up since coming back from injury & I've had to admit I'm nowhere near ready for that distance.

Free to good home.
I might be pulling out of that too. Got a bad knee.

I might be pulling out of that too. Got a bad knee.

Don't risk it marra. I talked myself into doing Ferriby 10 miler in January after injuring my knee in December. I actually got through that but the next time I tried to run my knee locked up & I ended up being out for another month. Physio had me dial both distance & speed right back & I'm just starting to get back up to double figures on the miles now & still pretty slow.

Last edited:
in need of some new trainers, have had mine for almost 2 years now, although for a year of that they saw no action as was injured ,anyway the sole looks pretty worn in places so need to bite bullet and get anew pair

was gonna go through to sweatshop (never been before) as normally I just use start fitness , but have read that lot of their staff are suddenly leaving due to sales pressure and being told to sell products rather than give advice, this being the case is start fitness the best port of call or recommend anywhere else. Have always worn Asics for rad running in the past (although have some NB trail shoes that do the job), but open minded about trying other brands, notice a fair few runners using those adidas boost now, just read a good review on some ne NB foam based trainers, and have never tried saucony , inov8, mizuno etc

I have only had NB, Asics, Adidas. I say Asics still the best for me, though my Adidas Supernova were good. I like some of the NB stuff, however the shop up Dalton Park isn't as good now I don't think. I have just bought some Adidas Response Boost while they are good for shorter distances I bought them for marathon but having 2nd thoughts as they seem to be a bit soft for 26 miles !! Sweatshop is in with Ashley now, however I did try some Mizunos which I liked, worth looking at.
I would try them in Start and get them from Sportshoe.com or something, as long as you have the right width and size.

I always seem to end up back with Asics. I've tried to get away with Adidas, New Balance, Nike & Reebok shoes. They all felt great when trying them on & giving them a go on the shop treadmill but none of them felt right when running properly on the road.

in need of some new trainers, have had mine for almost 2 years now, although for a year of that they saw no action as was injured ,anyway the sole looks pretty worn in places so need to bite bullet and get anew pair

was gonna go through to sweatshop (never been before) as normally I just use start fitness , but have read that lot of their staff are suddenly leaving due to sales pressure and being told to sell products rather than give advice, this being the case is start fitness the best port of call or recommend anywhere else. Have always worn Asics for rad running in the past (although have some NB trail shoes that do the job), but open minded about trying other brands, notice a fair few runners using those adidas boost now, just read a good review on some ne NB foam based trainers, and have never tried saucony , inov8, mizuno etc

Having been before and receiving good help, I went for some new ones last year before the GNR. I told her quite clearly what my budget was and that I wouldnt be going over it. Half an hour to go through different pairs of trainers and get on the treadmill to video each ones. End result, her recomendation was a pair of £200 trainers with £40 molded inserts. I said I told you what my budget was, she said these are the ones you need, so I walked out and went to JD sports. Picked up some Nike ones in my budget and bought some 8 quid inserts and theyve been fine.

The shoes at sweatshop are a premium price, but you get good service. Also 10% off if you're a English athletics members. I was there yesterday, I took my current trainers in, got video analysis and said they would be the trainers they would have me in. I then went on the machine where you stand on and they looked at my arch and heel and that. I was under no pressure to buy any trainers. It was 8pm and shop was dead, maybe different if it's busy. The treadmill was a bit dodgy like.

ps, still suffering with knee pain, managed a couple of runs. Got a sports massage booked tonight.

ps, still suffering with knee pain, managed a couple of runs. Got a sports massage booked tonight.

good luck with the knees mate , I know you're meant to be doing London, so fingers crossed

re: trainers - never ever buy running magazines, think its all just a massive money spinner with articles repeated and contradicted etc etc... however saw one (Runners world) when out on lunch break and has a supplement in on new trainers rated for 2015 - so gonna have a flick through that ... £4.50 for the magazine mind FFS!! , even then mind you still dunno if they're genuinely independent reviews

good luck with the knees mate , I know you're meant to be doing London, so fingers crossed

re: trainers - never ever buy running magazines, think its all just a massive money spinner with articles repeated and contradicted etc etc... however saw one (Runners world) when out on lunch break and has a supplement in on new trainers rated for 2015 - so gonna have a flick through that ... £4.50 for the magazine mind FFS!! , even then mind you still dunno if they're genuinely independent reviews

Get last year's model at a big discount. Find out if you are an over-pronator or need support etc. and then buy from sportsshoes.com

If you are of high moral fibre then get advice re: required footwear type in a decent shop and then repay the kindness by purchasing from them. But when you next need trainers just find the same brand and type at a less expensive price.

I stick with Asics or Saucony, whatever is in the sales when I need them. I have one pair in use and then start to wear in the new pair for at least a few weeks on short runs.

The shoes at sweatshop are a premium price, but you get good service. Also 10% off if you're a English athletics members. I was there yesterday, I took my current trainers in, got video analysis and said they would be the trainers they would have me in. I then went on the machine where you stand on and they looked at my arch and heel and that. I was under no pressure to buy any trainers. It was 8pm and shop was dead, maybe different if it's busy. The treadmill was a bit dodgy like.

I get 50% off one pair a year at Sweatshop with my health scheme. Don't need any at the minute though.
Had my first attempt at running after hospital this morning. Couldn't even manage a mile but glad I attempted it. I'll just keep on building on it over the next couple of weeks and decide whether to enter the Sunderland 10k.
Sister in law did the Milton Keynes 10k at the weekend. Sounded canny so I think I might do the half down there next year.

Get last year's model at a big discount. Find out if you are an over-pronator or need support etc. and then buy from sportsshoes.com

If you are of high moral fibre then get advice re: required footwear type in a decent shop and then repay the kindness by purchasing from them. But when you next need trainers just find the same brand and type at a less expensive price.

I stick with Asics or Saucony, whatever is in the sales when I need them. I have one pair in use and then start to wear in the new pair for at least a few weeks on short runs.

I do this as well. My last GNR I got a split in one of the soles 2 weeks before the event & only got my taper miles in the new shoes & they ripped my feet to shreds on the day & even though I'd put more time & effort into training than any previous year it was nearly 3 hours by the time I hobbled over the line. Since then I always start breaking a new pair in once I've got around 250-300 miles on the current pair.

I really need some new ones, it's actually embarrassing how long I have had my current ones. Saying that, I have only been putting the milage back in recently. Question though, do you still think it is worth getting an assessment for running if - generally speaking - I don't have any issues with my feet, knees etc when running? Just think I wouldn't see/feel any benefits in getting a gait analysis to be honest...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back