Running Thread 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Fletch, up n down Bede bank 8 times fast. Doc just said virus the last time, checked me over but just usual response. Just think am unlucky at moment picking these things up!!
Hope gets sorted mate , you were doing really well also , would still seek 2nd opinion mind. Bede bank is tough like , nee wonder you were gaspin.
Went up farra XC this morn so less impact on ankle , 35min run around , was a nice morning for it. Bumped into a bloke I often see now, ex-harrier in his mid 50s, packed in running for bout 7 yrs and is now trying to get back into it , was shit hot when he was younger . Could listen to older experienced runners like him for hours , very knowledgable and no bragging about his past running , something a few younger runners could learn from

I am hearing mumblings that Horden park run could be starting up soon. Will defiantly worth a visit, be one of the most scenic park runs in the country with it being slap bang on the beach banks overlooking the lovely Durham coastline

There's a few from Horden do the Pools parkrun & from what I've heard from them previous attempts have failed because they couldn't get enough volunteers interested, particularly people willing to be run directors. I also heard something about not being able to raise the £3k setup costs. Hope it comes off though.

There's a few from Horden do the Pools parkrun & from what I've heard from them previous attempts have failed because they couldn't get enough volunteers interested, particularly people willing to be run directors. I also heard something about not being able to raise the £3k setup costs. Hope it comes off though.

Yeah mate, was a few of us from down Horden today doing the Hartlepool one. I and a few other who go to same club as me got asked to be a Run Director down Horden but tbh I personally didn't want the responsibility. I work a few Saturdays and when I am off its either doing a park run myself or out with our lass for the day. Didnt want to be in the position of becoming a director then having to let people down or have it affecting my own life. Would be happy to masrhall when it suits me if it ever does get off the ground down Horden

Yeah mate, was a few of us from down Horden today doing the Hartlepool one. I and a few other who go to same club as me got asked to be a Run Director down Horden but tbh I personally didn't want the responsibility. I work a few Saturdays and when I am off its either doing a park run myself or out with our lass for the day. Didnt want to be in the position of becoming a director then having to let people down or have it affecting my own life. Would be happy to masrhall when it suits me if it ever does get off the ground down Horden

Run director is the only thing I haven't done while I was injured but I'll volunteer for it if I get crocked again because the 2 lasses who split it at Hartlepool only ever get to run every other week.

Run director is the only thing I haven't done while I was injured but I'll volunteer for it if I get crocked again because the 2 lasses who split it at Hartlepool only ever get to run every other week.

Are you involved with Burn Road harriers down there like marra? I done that 5 mile road race down there last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, was a great turn out and I ran a decent time iirc. Unfortunatly it falls this time round when I am at the in laws up Scotland

After yesterday's disaster I played safe with a 'quick' 4 miles. Felt ok despite being stalked by @Fletch for the second time this week. He's like some Forrest Gump character who's always out running.

Do you think trainers make much difference for bog standard plodding runners? I have a decent pair of Asics Kayano that I wear for most of my training. I also have another pair of Asics that I picked up in a sale and they are much lighter but don't have as much cushioning. I wear them maybe once a week to let the others recover after a long run. I always feel like I go faster in them but it might be coincidence as it's generally shorter runs.
Tempted to try them on my longer run next week but I'm a bit concerned about injury if I wear them long term.

After yesterday's disaster I played safe with a 'quick' 4 miles. Felt ok despite being stalked by @Fletch for the second time this week. He's like some Forrest Gump character who's always out running.

Do you think trainers make much difference for bog standard plodding runners? I have a decent pair of Asics Kayano that I wear for most of my training. I also have another pair of Asics that I picked up in a sale and they are much lighter but don't have as much cushioning. I wear them maybe once a week to let the others recover after a long run. I always feel like I go faster in them but it might be coincidence as it's generally shorter runs.
Tempted to try them on my longer run next week but I'm a bit concerned about injury if I wear them long term.
Trainers make a big difference. I encourage everyone to get a gait analysis. I don't believe in replacing them after so many miles but you can tell when they've had enough. You might have got a pair of racing trainers by the sounds of it.

Trainers make a big difference. I encourage everyone to get a gait analysis. I don't believe in replacing them after so many miles but you can tell when they've had enough. You might have got a pair of racing trainers by the sounds of it.
I got gait analysis for the Kayanos. These are the other ones, I just picked them up because they were £30.

I've got some racing/flats, but wear them sometimes for a race if less than 10 miles and only very occassionally in training. Wouldn't be anywhere near as often as once a week.

Got my 5th run of the week in today. 10 miles in 63:01. Fell very good and quicker than I thought I could do. Missing out on the really long runs up above 17 miles, so MUST get a couple of those in over the next week orso as Brighton marathon is getting closer.

How windy ?!!!
2 steps forward , 1 back , 1 standstill .... Horrible . Nowt worse than running into a very strong wind

Edit ... Apparently a 9 yr old kid did the chester le street park run in 18 minutes last week :eek:

Last edited:
How windy ?!!!
2 steps forward , 1 back , 1 standstill .... Horrible . Nowt worse than running into a very strong wind

Edit ... Apparently a 9 yr old kid did the chester le street park run in 18 minutes last week :eek:

I was hoping to do 8 mile tonight, but gave up after 5 due to the wind. The conditions were just horrible.

How windy ?!!!

Wasn't so bothered by the wind last night until it started raining. I forgot to check the forecast & didn't take a hat. The cold rain on my head was exacerbated by the windchill & gave me a really annoying throbbing headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back