Running thread 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
not out tonight so tempted for park run tomorrow, haven't done it in nearly a year, however ankle seems sore so dunno if should just rest it couple days.. typical

on another note, I still struggle to run without some music on, its like a comforter for me, eventhough I know everyone says you run better without it, gonna find it hard to break this habit
Have you tried podcasts? Helps me to zone out but you don't have the distraction of speeding up or slowing down with the music.
I like the Frank Skinner ones but you can get them on almost any subject.

Have you tried podcasts? Helps me to zone out but you don't have the distraction of speeding up or slowing down with the music.
I like the Frank Skinner ones but you can get them on almost any subject.

Frank Skinner gets me through most of my runs, along with a few others. Now I find it weird when I go back to listening to music. Much prefer podcasts/spoken word.

Another 12 miles this morning. Only second run this week after struggling round a 10k on Tuesday.
Half marathon isn't too far off now. What would people recommend as preparation in the week leading up to it? Unfortunately I'm working in London on the Tuesday and Wednesday and out for a meal after work on the Thursday so not much scope for getting out.
Thinking of a 10k on the Monday and 5k on Friday with the run on the Sunday.

I never really plan distances for my runs. I just see how my body feels. I wouldn't make the 5k fast on the Friday. I would say cut out alcohol that week with the meals.

I never really plan distances for my runs. I just see how my body feels. I wouldn't make the 5k fast on the Friday. I would say cut out alcohol that week with the meals.
I'd already decided that. When working away it's natural to go out and have a couple of drinks with your meal. Just have to remember not to. I'm stopping next to Tower Bridge so in theory I could take my running gear and have a run along the river. It always seems too busy when I'm down there. Probably just have an early night.

Cr
I'd already decided that. When working away it's natural to go out and have a couple of drinks with your meal. Just have to remember not to. I'm stopping next to Tower Bridge so in theory I could take my running gear and have a run along the river. It always seems too busy when I'm down there. Probably just have an early night.
Run east to Wapping and the Isle of Dogs - much quieter

6.2 miles in about 53:30 today. Felt good, I was deliberately trying not to overdo it and push myself too hard, just wanted to get a few miles under my belt. I was only aiming for 5 and probably could've done 2 or 3 more but thought I'd leave it at that for today.

Out of curiosity I used a race time predictor to convert that time to half marathon and that would give me 1:58:13 which is a fair bit quicker than my PB of 2:08. Interesting to see what I could achieve if I do plenty of training.

11k yesterday, I bloody fell over halfway through, tripped on a thin metal ring that must have come off a truck wheel or something :oops: scraped leg and sprained thumb, I'm just glad it's not the other way around :lol:

Frank Skinner for me too.

Would be lost if he wasn't around. However, sometimes hard to run, while bloody laughing.

that sketchy lad who was running from edinburgh to sunderland must finishing soon. he had some injuries and with approx 30 miles day i fear for him.

15k this morning that ended with a 20 minute parkrun. 63:30 mins altogether pushing my son in the buggy. Shattered now so long run tomorrow will be VERY slow. Felt really good though this morning and could have gone further if needed. Tempted to see if I could go a sub 1:30 half marathon pushing the buggy :)

Plan for tomorrow is to head out early, then back to watch London marathon followed by football and Paris-Roubaix.

Best of luck mate

Thanks mate. Just home now in a lot of pain. I managed a total of 66 miles. Did the full 42 on the 1st day but had felt my hamstrings tighten up about 13 miles in. Then at about 21 miles I felt a proper twang in it almost like an elastic band pulled to stretching point just before it snaps. Carried on walking and increasing the distance I could run slowly to finish the day.

Did the first 6 to the Scottish border on the 2nd but had to stop there as my knee couldn't support my weight anymore and my hamstrings felt at snapping point again. Sat out the rest of that day and helped with the support team.

On 3rd day we had 29 miles to go and I ran the first 11, then sat out the middle 12 and did the final 7. That first 11 was seriously hard and the pain was constant throughout but really wanted to get the last 7 in, which turned out to be even more painful! The last 3 miles of it was hell.

4 of us started but only 1 managed the full 109. We all finished together though which was class.

All in all it was the toughest thing I have put my body through and going to take a while to recover. Struggling to walk at the moment and ankle is swollen so will get checked up next week. We raised over £7,000 for Adamwood care home so it was worth it.[DOUBLEPOST=1397392255][/DOUBLEPOST]
that sketchy lad who was running from edinburgh to sunderland must finishing soon. he had some injuries and with approx 30 miles day i fear for him.

All done now but didn't manage the full mileage. Strangely enough the main injury I was worried about going in was my plantar fascitis but had no problems at all from it. I taped it everyday and had no issue with any pain there.

Slightly changed parkrun course at Whitley due to the fair being on but managed A respectable time for me 21:39 had knee pain climbing the steps after finishing though

South shields 10km done in 41:03. Wind was annoying as fuck. What you manage magic rat?
37.05 for me. Aye that wind was tough like. Enjoyed the course though, good mix of terrain, couple of hills. You running North Tyneside 10k next week? I'm undecided . . could probably do with a week off[DOUBLEPOST=1397403596][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks mate. Just home now in a lot of pain. I managed a total of 66 miles. Did the full 42 on the 1st day but had felt my hamstrings tighten up about 13 miles in. Then at about 21 miles I felt a proper twang in it almost like an elastic band pulled to stretching point just before it snaps. Carried on walking and increasing the distance I could run slowly to finish the day.

Did the first 6 to the Scottish border on the 2nd but had to stop there as my knee couldn't support my weight anymore and my hamstrings felt at snapping point again. Sat out the rest of that day and helped with the support team.

On 3rd day we had 29 miles to go and I ran the first 11, then sat out the middle 12 and did the final 7. That first 11 was seriously hard and the pain was constant throughout but really wanted to get the last 7 in, which turned out to be even more painful! The last 3 miles of it was hell.

4 of us started but only 1 managed the full 109. We all finished together though which was class.

All in all it was the toughest thing I have put my body through and going to take a while to recover. Struggling to walk at the moment and ankle is swollen so will get checked up next week. We raised over £7,000 for Adamwood care home so it was worth it.[DOUBLEPOST=1397392255][/DOUBLEPOST]

All done now but didn't manage the full mileage. Strangely enough the main injury I was worried about going in was my plantar fascitis but had no problems at all from it. I taped it everyday and had no issue with any pain there.
Well done mate, good effort that. Give yourself a few lazy days

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back