Rolling monthly discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The most confusing thing here is that...if you want to look at photos you have to leave the Photography Corner and go to the SMB.

On similarly successful messagebaords (eg Pistonheads) the photo section has..... photos:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...61054&i=3160&mid=0&nmt=Random+Photos+:+Part+4 (this is a thread which has been going back for years and years and is hugely successful.)

The photos are in threads - not galleries. @peachbum is right - the way browsing works is folks won't keep clicking through to see the galleries (even if they've worked out that's what they are meant to do.)

Like it or not - the perception for people considering entering photos into a competition (however small and insignificant) is that we don't want to lose out to parochial clusters of mutual support or infighting (plenty of that on RTG/SMB) - and therefore anonymity is the way forward. See also Talk Photography competition rules here: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/photographer-of-the-year-2015-rules-themes.571114/ (pictures get emailed to an email address - and somehow the pictures are posted for all to see without exif data etc. Only after voting is the order of merit announced.

I appreciate this means that somebody has to go to the trouble of removing said exif data and posting into a thread - but rather this than the current "tumbleweed" situation (taking nothing away from EMPIRE who entered a cracking portrait last month!)

The competition is, of course, totally insignificant in the greater scheme of things - but anyone who is going to go to the trouble of entering ANY competition wants to do so fairly - and to be judged fairly. Do I feel my shots would be judged without prejudice on this section.....absolutely not...and I think others (who are similarly contemplating entering) will think the same.

But what do I know...!

Well I for one have no issue with the current set up. Links are posted in the threads directing you to the pictures and bar December, the turnouts haven't been that bad, December is just a busy month for people.

Do people really think they'd be an influx of entries if photos were on the thread rather than through a link!?

Perhaps stripping exif data may work but I've never seen people blatantly voting for their mates, who cares? Really?

If people went to the effort of actually entering and voting rather than complaining about it all it may progress.

Well I for one have no issue with the current set up. Links are posted in the threads directing you to the pictures and bar December, the turnouts haven't been that bad, December is just a busy month for people.

Do people really think they'd be an influx of entries if photos were on the thread rather than through a link!?

Perhaps stripping exif data may work but I've never seen people blatantly voting for their mates, who cares? Really?

If people went to the effort of actually entering and voting rather than complaining about it all it may progress.
as an enterer and voter pretty much most months I feel free to comment. I don't have any issues with the way the competition is being run at all, so thanks to oROSSo for this.

Regards my comments to 2310 above, I just feel if a poster goes to the trouble of posting a long post and it is interesting, it is worth replying to. It's what message boards are about.

The "runner" of the competition will always be on a loser because you can't please all the people all the time. Eg if when you please the people
who want two to three months to plan their photo you upset the people who don't get the rolling issue. If you do it on a straightforward monthly basis, people complain they don't have long enough to get a photo taken.

Perhaps (to oROSSo) we could post on the thread for January?? OR perhaps we could continue the comp in the gallery as usual and take up 2310s idea no 1 - just start a new thread and we post any photos we want and perhaps just count likes (just as a fun thing).

I still enjoy the competition and hopefully it will continue. I'd like to see some newcomers though.

Hi oROSSo.

Firstly - I've re-read my last two posts here - and I can see that they could come across as me complaining. That certainly wasn't the intention - and therefore I apologise. You've done an excellent job of running the photo competition - and I should have also acknowledged that. I'm certainly not in a position to criticise - since I haven't entered nearly enough - and will try and take part more this year.

There is a strong perception that this section of the board is somewhat "falling away" in terms of its use / popularity - and I was trying to make what I had intended to be some thoughtful and helpful suggestions to address that - since I enjoy this section of the board very much - and have learned a great deal through reading the posts here. There are some amazing photographers on here.

I've just done a quick (mental arithmetic) tally of views of this (competition) section over the last three years - and it reads as follows:

2012: 125,383 views
2013: 45,445 views
2014: 18,146 views

So the numbers (and therefore the likelihood of people participating) seems to be dropping away substantially, which is a shame - though obviously is far from being the end of the world!

For all directing their ideas at me personally, I have no powers to post banners on the SMB, I have no powers to sticky threads to the top of the SMB; I simply start the months thread and gallery as, IIRC, indicated by roger who wanted it set up in this particular way (I'm not sure if it makes the running of the site easier)

I'll try run it however the majority want it ran, with provisos from roger. I would say however, one bad month doesn't mean end of the world - people are just busy in December, IMO.

@peachbum if you contribute, I'm not sure why you'd take my comments as being aimed at you.

@2310 Return not sure if your numbers are based on the monthly competition or the photography board as a whole but several key posters have left or lost their love of photography in the time I've posted in the photography section. Ayesane - left the board, AB22 - working hours dictated him giving up the running of the comp, Clyde - gave up photography, and many more.

For all directing their ideas at me personally, I have no powers to post banners on the SMB, I have no powers to sticky threads to the top of the SMB; I simply start the months thread and gallery as, IIRC, indicated by roger who wanted it set up in this particular way (I'm not sure if it makes the running of the site easier)

I'll try run it however the majority want it ran, with provisos from roger. I would say however, one bad month doesn't mean end of the world - people are just busy in December, IMO.

@peachbum if you contribute, I'm not sure why you'd take my comments as being aimed at you.

@2310 Return not sure if your numbers are based on the monthly competition or the photography board as a whole but several key posters have left or lost their love of photography in the time I've posted in the photography section. Ayesane - left the board, AB22 - working hours dictated him giving up the running of the comp, Clyde - gave up photography, and many more.

Give owa. We all know your a mod ;)

Ross, why don't you overlap the competitions so the Feb one opens as soon as empire chooses a theme? Would give on average 6 weeks to find a shot

The problem we have when photos aren't using the gallery system is twofold.
Firstly pictures get moved/deleted from other sources when they aren't uploaded to RTG, so whilst the thread is usually okay for the duration of the competition, when you come to the thread six months later, it will be full of red crosses/images not found.
Secondly, when people use external sites, they all display differently here, so some will use greater jpg compression, some will display small thumbnails, some large images etc and it isn't a level playing field for the entries.

However, just because the photos are in a gallery, doesn't mean they can't be added to a thread too. So if someone has time to do that, the voting thread could easily have the images embedded in it (using the icon like a camera in the post editor)

@oROSSo - true you don't have powers to sticky etc, but just drop me a PM if you want something like this doing. I don't always read/monitor this section myself, so aren't always aware if anything needs doing.

The photo section will only ever be a minority interest section on the SMB, and if I am honest I was surprised by how well things initially took off.

Ross, why don't you overlap the competitions so the Feb one opens as soon as empire chooses a theme? Would give on average 6 weeks to find a shot

Well, after consulting with my brother who suggested 'stormy weather' as a theme, I've decided to completely poo-poo that and would like to suggest a theme of chiaroscuro or use of strong contrasts between highlight and shadow.

The problem we have when photos aren't using the gallery system is twofold.
Firstly pictures get moved/deleted from other sources when they aren't uploaded to RTG, so whilst the thread is usually okay for the duration of the competition, when you come to the thread six months later, it will be full of red crosses/images not found.
Secondly, when people use external sites, they all display differently here, so some will use greater jpg compression, some will display small thumbnails, some large images etc and it isn't a level playing field for the entries.

However, just because the photos are in a gallery, doesn't mean they can't be added to a thread too. So if someone has time to do that, the voting thread could easily have the images embedded in it (using the icon like a camera in the post editor)

@oROSSo - true you don't have powers to sticky etc, but just drop me a PM if you want something like this doing. I don't always read/monitor this section myself, so aren't always aware if anything needs doing.

The photo section will only ever be a minority interest section on the SMB, and if I am honest I was surprised by how well things initially took off.
Cheers for the clarification, Roger.

Well, after consulting with my brother who suggested 'stormy weather' as a theme, I've decided to completely poo-poo that and would like to suggest a theme of chiaroscuro or use of strong contrasts between highlight and shadow.
Mag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back