Rafael Benítez

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well, it's purely hypothetical, but I'm 100% convinced that had Rafa been appointed earlier he'd have kept us up. We only missed out on survival by 2pts (and GD) and I saw enough in the 10 games he had to be that confident.

There's no guarantee, no. But to read on here, you'd think he was entirely unable to prepare a well funded side with an all right spine, for the countries 2nd tier.

It'd be foolish to think that a man who's won a variety of trophies in a variety of leagues is incapable of adjusting. In fact that record of winning things with clubs of differing funds, differing sizes, different circumstances suggests he's actually well suited to adjust to this new challenge. It may take a season, it may take no time at all. But the claims on here that Benitez is doomed to fail because he's no experience in the Championship are odd.
You do remember that he had your goal difference moving in the wrong direction [compared to Sam] don't you ... ;)

Leicester was a fluke. Even they'll tell you that. What have big clubs done this summer? Gone out and got the best managers around. Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Man Utd and City will only get stronger. West Ham and Southampton will get stronger. We don't know about Leicester. It seems it's a forgone conclusion that Benitez will have you in the mix next season. But first you need to get promoted. All this will happen under Benitez and of course Satan himself Mike Ashley. You've forgotten about him.

I believe Allardyce could have us knocking on the door of Europe within 2 years giving the right backing and time. But first we need to build a team that finishes comfortably mid-table without fear of relegation. That's been realistic. Talk of CL when you're in the Championship is delusional.
I'm sorry, but you don't 'fluke' finishing first in the PL

Well, it's purely hypothetical, but I'm 100% convinced that had Rafa been appointed earlier he'd have kept us up. We only missed out on survival by 2pts (and GD) and I saw enough in the 10 games he had to be that confident.

There's no guarantee, no. But to read on here, you'd think he was entirely unable to prepare a well funded side with an all right spine, for the countries 2nd tier.

It'd be foolish to think that a man who's won a variety of trophies in a variety of leagues is incapable of adjusting. In fact that record of winning things with clubs of differing funds, differing sizes, different circumstances suggests he's actually well suited to adjust to this new challenge. It may take a season, it may take no time at all. But the claims on here that Benitez is doomed to fail because he's no experience in the Championship are odd.
Toontastic are missing you Mr Fish...

Rafa is holding out for assurances before committing to a long term deal, but looks set to put pen to paper.

Ashley keen to keep him on, the plan is to try and hold onto as many first team players as possible and get promoted at the first time of asking.

High risk strategy from Mike?

Source: someone at the club
But does Mike realise teams wont be lying down and missing penalties on purpose against them next season.

I'm not sure struggling at the beginning of a season with Newcastle in the Championship will be as daunting as his tenure at Chelsea. I'm sure he'll cope.

Too different a scenario for me as a comparison. He entered Chelsea knowing he would be unpopular but knowing that he knew the league and players in it well enough. Entirely different to feeling so loved by the mob that you are prepared to manage in a division where you have no experience. If the love of the mob were to waver I think it will be a lot more daunting than his tenure at Chelsea myself. However, as I say, I don't expect he will have any of early issues/bad results to cause such issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back