Pure Gym Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love the gym I've recently joined. A collection of serious powerlifters and bodybuilders, lasses who realise the type of training they need to do in order to achieve the physique they want and a few older folk looking to keep active. No dickheads, as far as I'm aware. And only £20 a month. They've just put in a fourth power rack, actually have a dedicated deadlifting area (Yayyy!) and are currently refurbing a studio they're going to use for martial arts classes.

Love the gym I've recently joined. A collection of serious powerlifters and bodybuilders, lasses who realise the type of training they need to do in order to achieve the physique they want and a few older folk looking to keep active. No dickheads, as far as I'm aware. And only £20 a month. They've just put in a fourth power rack, actually have a dedicated deadlifting area (Yayyy!) and are currently refurbing a studio they're going to use for martial arts classes.

Whats the fanny like?

Sounds very similar to where I train, although they have a couple of monolifts in place of power racks. Upstairs is a martial arts/wrestling etc which I want to give a go but haven't gotten round to it.

Much better being in that sort of environment IMO.

I think Pure Gym and Lifestyle have been a good thing they have made other gyms review their prices, unfortunately in Shields Westoe gym has gone as they couldn't compete, Powerhouse has reduced his price to bring it in line with Lifestyle.
Everyone wants different things from a gym Haven point has a pool and gym which is poor by all accounts but given the price of Lifestyle you could also become a member of Haven point too and you would still only be paying what you were paying when Lifestyle was Springs.

I'm thinking of joing the Powerhouse in shields like.
I been going to Morgans in Pelaw for well over 15 years now and it works out £32 per month plus £20 a year membership
Its a good weight training gym but its not worth the money.
Only thing with the Powerhouse for me is the fact i'd have to go to Shields and the parking around the gym can be a pain in the arse.

Sounds very similar to where I train, although they have a couple of monolifts in place of power racks. Upstairs is a martial arts/wrestling etc which I want to give a go but haven't gotten round to it.

Much better being in that sort of environment IMO.

It's class mate. Loads of 'old school' strength equipment as well like prowler sled and big tyres which I've not had the opportunity to use before.

It's class mate. Loads of 'old school' strength equipment as well like prowler sled and big tyres which I've not had the opportunity to use before.

Part of my cardio in preparation for a charity run that I don't intend to run for in practice :lol:

Do many blokes do the classes? I'm thinking of joining this gym but mainly for the classes, but won't if they're full of middle aged divorced women.
I've never been particulary fit, I'm not fat but would like to improve my general fitness. I've been a member at gyms before but I get bored really easy as I've not really got the knowledge to know what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm not interested in getting 'massive' either; that's not my goal.
I did insanity for a period of time about a year ago and really enjoyed it and noticed a massive improvement in my fitness but it's just not convenient for me to do it at home any more so was hoping the classes were geared towards this kind of training and results.

seen a few blokes in them probs depends what type of class as well I have been there whilst the spinning classes are on some Tuesday afternoons and it has been mainly woman

Do many blokes do the classes? I'm thinking of joining this gym but mainly for the classes, but won't if they're full of middle aged divorced women.
I've never been particulary fit, I'm not fat but would like to improve my general fitness. I've been a member at gyms before but I get bored really easy as I've not really got the knowledge to know what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm not interested in getting 'massive' either; that's not my goal.
I did insanity for a period of time about a year ago and really enjoyed it and noticed a massive improvement in my fitness but it's just not convenient for me to do it at home any more so was hoping the classes were geared towards this kind of training and results.
I'd say it's a good mix of men and women of different ages, looks fun tbh.

Cheers for the replies. Might wait a bit actually. Just downloaded one of those couch to 5k apps and just got back from my first run; quite enjoyed it tbh. Gonna give this a blast for a few weeks, see if my fitness improves in the way it did when I did insanity.

Cheers for the replies. Might wait a bit actually. Just downloaded one of those couch to 5k apps and just got back from my first run; quite enjoyed it tbh. Gonna give this a blast for a few weeks, see if my fitness improves in the way it did when I did insanity.
how far can you run atm im still at the buggered at end of street phase haha

I only use the pure gym for classes before work, usualy about 75 percent women and a few men in the classes.

how far can you run atm im still at the buggered at end of street phase haha
You know what mate? I've never been a runner. I've always been one to get out of breath fairly easily. I was asthmatic as a child and I've always wondered if that played a part.

When I was doing insanity, it massively improved my general fitness and I could run on a treadmill for longer than I'd ever been able to.

So, I've decided to try running as a way of improving my general fitness. I went for a run on Sunday, after no exercise in a year, and I was fucked after a few minutes. I managed to do fifteen minutes and that was about 1.5 miles. I've done the first run on the app I downloaded today and I was out for 30 minutes and did 2.5 miles. This includes running and brisk walking. I'm going to continue the plan on the app and hope I can get to a point of running 5k without stopping to walk. I have no time target as of yet.

You know what mate? I've never been a runner. I've always been one to get out of breath fairly easily. I was asthmatic as a child and I've always wondered if that played a part.

When I was doing insanity, it massively improved my general fitness and I could run on a treadmill for longer than I'd ever been able to.

So, I've decided to try running as a way of improving my general fitness. I went for a run on Sunday, after no exercise in a year, and I was fucked after a few minutes. I managed to do fifteen minutes and that was about 1.5 miles. I've done the first run on the app I downloaded today and I was out for 30 minutes and did 2.5 miles. This includes running and brisk walking. I'm going to continue the plan on the app and hope I can get to a point of running 5k without stopping to walk. I have no time target as of yet.
I live a just over a mile away from pure and I have to run half walk half I do have asthma as well which doesn't help going to look into the apps im only using the nike app on the rare occasions I do run at the moment

I live a just over a mile away from pure and I have to run half walk half I do have asthma as well which doesn't help going to look into the apps im only using the nike app on the rare occasions I do run at the moment
I saw in one of the running threads on here somebody recommended a 'couch to 5k' app. So that's what I downloaded. There was quite a few to choose from but I imagine they're all pretty similar. They seem to be pretty decent way of building up your running. It's nothing that you can't do without an app of course, it just helps that it's spoken and instructs you when to run and when to walk.

I saw in one of the running threads on here somebody recommended a 'couch to 5k' app. So that's what I downloaded. There was quite a few to choose from but I imagine they're all pretty similar. They seem to be pretty decent way of building up your running. It's nothing that you can't do without an app of course, it just helps that it's spoken and instructs you when to run and when to walk.
I was going to ask how the app worked my main problem on the motivation side is I have no one to go with now my brothers quit even though we rarely went anyway

I was going to ask how the app worked my main problem on the motivation side is I have no one to go with now my brothers quit even though we rarely went anyway
It's pretty simple. The first plan, the basic one for beginners, is a 9 week plan where you run 3 times a week. The first week is a five minute walk to warm up, followed by 8 repetitions of a minute walking and 90 seconds brisk walking, finishing with a five minute walk to cool down. It gradually increases until week 9 where it's 5 minutes walking to warm up, then 30 minutes continuous running followed by 5 minutes walking to cool down. All instructions are spoken but if you can memorise what you need to do, then a stopwatch is all you need really. I think I'll keep an eye on my data usage before I decide whether to keep the app turned on or not.

im not patient enough think I will just bash the treadmill for bit level 10 for min then 6 for min in intervals

It's pretty simple. The first plan, the basic one for beginners, is a 9 week plan where you run 3 times a week. The first week is a five minute walk to warm up, followed by 8 repetitions of a minute walking and 90 seconds brisk walking, finishing with a five minute walk to cool down. It gradually increases until week 9 where it's 5 minutes walking to warm up, then 30 minutes continuous running followed by 5 minutes walking to cool down. All instructions are spoken but if you can memorise what you need to do, then a stopwatch is all you need really. I think I'll keep an eye on my data usage before I decide whether to keep the app turned on or not.
how often are you in pure like

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back