Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

:lol: Clearly am not a power lifter or such like but would you see it a reasonable tactic (i just use weight machines) to have your target sets for a month then after said month lift your weight target a notch and stick with that for say another month. Also i don't use protein supplements or owt, am i right in thinking there's probably not really any need when am just doing weights for toning and nominal muscle growth/fitness?

:lol: Clearly am not a power lifter or such like but would you see it a reasonable tactic (i just use weight machines) to have your target sets for a month then after said month lift your weight target a notch and stick with that for say another month. Also i don't use protein supplements or owt, am i right in thinking there's probably not really any need when am just doing weights for toning and nominal muscle growth/fitness?

Lift the same weights continuously for a month?

No, that doesn't sound like a good idea.

Whether or not you should use supplements depends on what the rest of your diet is like. Supplements are as the name suggests... supplements to what you already consume.

Lift the same weights continuously for a month?

No, that doesn't sound like a good idea.

Whether or not you should use supplements depends on what the rest of your diet is like. Supplements are as the name suggests... supplements to what you already consume.

So what then? Move up after a couple of weeks? I go to the gym Mon, Wed, Fridays. I tend to eat 2000cals a day (not including Fridays and Saturdays).

Not feeling great today so just hit 180kg squat, 130kg paused bench to a 1 board and 220kg sumo deadlift (double overhand). All easy but keeping it light on the days where I feel like shit

So Dan Green is doing a seminar in London today for only £10 in. If I'd known I'd have taken the day off to go.

The seminar was £90, it's just £10 if you want to train with him I think.

So what then? Move up after a couple of weeks? I go to the gym Mon, Wed, Fridays. I tend to eat 2000cals a day (not including Fridays and Saturdays).

How long have you been lifting weights? What machines are you using and on which days?

If you're a beginner you should be increasing the weight every time you train, or at least planning to barring failure to complete prescribed sets x repetitions. If you're not a beginner you should be looking at modulating intensity and volume over the weeks.

2000kcals a day is probably below maintenance for the average bloke, especially if they're weight training. You should be losing weight on that. If you want to gain weight then eat more (food and/or supplements).

The seminar was £90, it's just £10 if you want to train with him I think.

Ah!

Still would have gone like.

How long have you been lifting weights? What machines are you using and on which days?

If you're a beginner you should be increasing the weight every time you train, or at least planning to barring failure to complete prescribed sets x repetitions. If you're not a beginner you should be looking at modulating intensity and volume over the weeks.

2000kcals a day is probably below maintenance for the average bloke, especially if they're weight training. You should be losing weight on that. If you want to gain weight then eat more (food and/or supplements).

I've started taking it slightly more seriously as i've just booked a holiday. :lol:

I think i need to start pushing myself more by the sounds of things. Cheers.

I've started taking it slightly more seriously as i've just booked a holiday. :lol:

Charmless Man stock response *beep beep beep beep*:

Consider knocking the machines on the head. If you're a normal, healthy individual who has access to free weights there is no reason for you to be primarily using machines.

If you did this then you'd get a lot more out of it for the time you put in and people could offer you better advice.

Doesn't mean you have to take up powerlifting or anything, they're just better exercises overall.

@Titus you know your weightlifting shoes mate, what's the fit like on them? Typical Adidas narrow fitting?

Getting some this week but might need to go a different brand for wider fit.

I'm the same size as I always get with Adidas mate, aye. Although my mate got a pair and they were too tight in his regular size, but he doesn't wear Adidas trainers or anything.

I'm the same size as I always get with Adidas mate, aye. Although my mate got a pair and they were too tight in his regular size, but he doesn't wear Adidas trainers or anything.

I always go a half size up with the trainers like mate. There's a pair called My Mile or something for £40 so I might just try those.

I'm training MADCOW mate, there's an automatic spreadsheet on the Stronglifts website you can use that gives you the weights to use over the 12 weeks programme. Very handy.

It's just the main lifts though, no accessory work but you'll just throw that in yourself.

Last edited:
Had to throw some work strides out coz they're now too tight round my thighs. And my legs are still only about 1/3 the size of @Titus but small victories and all that! :lol::lol:
had to do this a couple weeks back. went for a waist size up and an easy fit.....same brand, and they're f***ing tighter than the ones i wear now!

Enjoying this squatting every day thing. Just worked up to 180kg on the safety bar in just a belt. Think I'll give front squats a blast next week

Back